Ben Frost
A U R O R A

by Olivier De Clercq CONTRIBUTOR (40 Reviews)
June 7th, 2014 | 88 replies | 9,071 views

Release Date: 03/30/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: From the turbulent launch in 'Flex' to the hectic comedown in 'Sola Fide' and all the tension, exploration and horror in between, A U R O R A is as close to an aural feature full-length you'll ever get.

When considering A U R O R A, you cannot ignore the striking similarity with Gravity, Alfonso CuarĂ³n's true visual marvel from last year. The comparison is in fact inevitable. Ben Frost's fifth solo release manages to evoke both the vast emptiness and loneliness of space and the visceral harshness of the environment in the same vein as that critically acclaimed film. Pack some state-of-the-art audiophile headphones - frankly, they're a must - and before long you're lifting off, tumbling back down and swirling uncontrollably through the weightless black. A U R O R A, in contrast perhaps to other pieces of experimental electronic music, is not cerebral, but primal and sensatory in a way like few other albums have managed to be before it.

Frost treats unadulterated silence and noise as the main and contradictory ingredients that make up A U R O R A. As 'The Teeth Behind Kisses' unfolds and the listener is placed into steady orbit, it's hard to even distinguish the waveforms of the music from background hiss. It acts quite literally as the silence before the storm. This is then followed by 'Secant', one of the three centerpieces of the album and an exploration of Frost's endless fascination with heavy machinery. Gears start grinding, metal gets sharpened and spews fiery sparks, engines blaze and propel massive monoliths... It's hard to imagine that most of the sounds on here originate from something as flimsy as a laptop, because the tracks at times feel as dense as the core of an enormous star. It's all so bombastic and full of blockbuster sheen; it's also great art.

The same goes for the other two heavyweights on A U R O R A, 'Nolan' and 'Venter', with thunderous percussion, epic synth white noise and moving quite-melodic motives underneath. That last part is particularly important, because while it's the bombast and sheer scale of the music that gets you hooked, it's the impressive compositorial strength of the pieces that greatly rewards repeated listening of the album. In this regard, Frost's background in composing original scores really helped him in carving out a compelling dramatic arc throughout the album. From the turbulent launch in 'Flex' to the hectic comedown in 'Sola Fide' and all the tension, exploration and horror in between, A U R O R A is as close to an aural feature full-length you'll ever get.

Voices From The Lake Velo Di MayaAmatorski From Clay To Figures
The Notwist Close to the GlassThe Men Tomorrow's Hits
Valentin Stip SighActress Ghettoville
krthll1 (2.5)
Ben Frost tries to branch out by simplifying his overall approach, but ultimately gets trapped into ...

MadGrinder (2.5)
Wrapped in your own monochordic chaos....

- Nolan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gig7e5lwOE
- Venter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LJ2X1ZRVmA

Trying to get back in the fray. Criticism is always welcome!

Digging: Vessel - Punish, Honey

: - }

Digging: Lewis - L'Amour

Jacquibim
June 7th 2014

Fleggum how you been diggin Outre?

Brostep
June 7th 2014

you know it's a good year for music when two electronic artists release albums with 6-word titles in all caps with spaces between every letter (and the album names both end in R A, no less!). Sweet review, had this album on my iPod for a week or two but still haven't listened and I should really rectify that soon

June 7th 2014

I really haven't been paying attention to music this year, so I'm not sure which other album you mean? The new Teebs one, perhaps? Wasn't so blown away by it, unfortunately...

Deviant.
June 7th 2014

Oh good, you still review! And yeah, this is one of the best things to come out this year

Digging: Marcel Dettmann - Fabric 77

Typhoner
June 7th 2014

Cool you're back! I still haven't heard the album, although I heard "secant" and it's pretty brutal, so I'll definitely check it out.

June 7th 2014

Yeah, academic stuff got in the way over the past couple of months, but I'm getting back to reviewing. Good to see you agree. The album really grabbed me from first listen.

Eloriaz
June 7th 2014

Nice to see you back clercq ^^

Album is mental, absolutely loved it.

ShitsofRain

wb : )

Brostep

Yeah the Teebs one. Was pretty good if a bit
underwhelming

June 7th 2014

Lol, nice juxtaposition on the frontpage there.

Thanks fellas!

PappyMason

Nice.
I'm looking forward to hearing this one.

Digging: Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information

XfingTheSullen

Holy shit, I need to listen to this. I love Ben Frost

scissorlocked

nice stuff clerc bro

it's nice to see you reviewing again!

Digging: Leon Vynehall - Music For The Uninvited

kingsoby1
June 7th 2014

close to aoty for me. nmesh is still tops but we'll see in a few months

kingsoby1
June 7th 2014

also you should check out my dig, you might like

deathschool
June 7th 2014

Awesome review. Need to listen to this.

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989