Muse
Dead Star/In Your World

by Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (66 Reviews)
June 3rd, 2014 | 15 replies | 1,555 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If you’re craving a quick Muse fix or just looking to get the sour taste of The Resistance and The 2nd Law out of your mouth, this nifty little transition EP may prove to be worth your time.

Remember when Muse used to play distorted riffs? Remember when Muse would infuse classical influences into their alternative sound instead of using bombastic classical sections as a crutch to make their songs sound as “epic” as possible? Remember when Matthew Bellamy was the best part about Muse rather than the worst? Remember when he would compose songs combining various influences naturally instead of writing songs based entirely around any half-ass idea that pops in his head?

If you answered “no” to any of these questions, this EP can serve as the much-needed reminder that Bellamy is, thankfully, as talented as he is self-absorbed, and more importantly, that Muse actually used to be a damn good band.

It’s generally agreed upon by Muse fans that Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, and to a lesser extent, Black Holes and Revelations, made up the band’s glory days. The amateurish yet ambitious rock sound that encompassed Showbiz was fully realized on their fantastic sophomore release Origin of Symmetry, and was polished even further into a classical-tinged alt rock masterpiece, Absolution. In between these two arguably genre-defining behemoths, however, is a relatively unnoticed transition EP. Dead Star/In Your World is essentially a double single, released in certain countries as an EP including the B-sides of both singles and an instrumental version of “Dead Star.” The new tracks themselves display a slight shift from the heavy-but-catchy sound that comprised Origin. “Dead Star” is possibly the heaviest song they’ve ever written bar “Assassin,” beginning with a metal riff, broken verses and snarly vocals from Bellamy, following an elaborate but easily digestible chord progression not unlike the chorus of “Space Dementia” with trance-inducing distortion replacing an ominous spacey atmosphere. The chorus lyrics are cliché and lame; You used to be everything to me / And now you're tired of fighting / Tired of fighting / Fighting yourself, but it's incredibly catchy and honestly it's just nice to hear Matt scream his lungs out.

“In Your World” is really where the band shows signs of their musical maturation. It begins with a piano motif reminiscent of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Johann Sebastian Bach, with the guitar mimicking the line shortly thereafter. The chorus is a thing of beauty, being as heavy as it is melodic – a trait they fully utilize on their magnum opus Absolution. “Futurism,” which was previously released on the Japanese release of Origin, fares similarly to “Dead Star” as a standard riff-driven Muse track with distorted vocals and a powerful chorus, and Frankie Valli cover “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” does little to make it stand out from the original, but the bossa nova feel and a few added nuances by Bellamy make it a pleasant vacation song.

Dead Star/In Your World isn’t an essential Muse release by any means, nor do any of the tracks rank up with their best material. It’s simply a transition EP with a few hidden gems for Muse completists, combining the basal elements of both Origin and Absolution into a brief and wholly enjoyable 17-minute package. If you’re craving a quick alternative rock fix or just looking to get the sour taste of Muse's last two albums out of your mouth, this release may prove to be worth your time.

Within the Ruins PhenomenaSonic Syndicate Sonic Syndicate
Origin OmnipresentJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
Black Tongue Born HangedWhitechapel Our Endless War

Arcade
June 2nd 2014

Good review. I'm in a real minority when I say it but I adore The 2nd Law. I thought it was brilliant, tbhidctbh

Digging: Botch - We Are the Romans

20641 Comments

i like it too, i just see it as the most inconsistent muse album when it comes to cohesion and song quality

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

YourDarkAffected
June 2nd 2014

Yeah, it's way better than Resistance, but people seem to especially nail 2nd law because it's looser and has more fun. Resistance was just pretentious bs.

Digging: My Brightest Diamond - None More Than You

YourDarkAffected

Also, Dead Star rules.

20641 Comments

agreed that the resistance is their worst, so incredibly dull. cant believe i loved it when it came out

fallenbird
June 2nd 2014

Resistance is better than 2nd Law for me because the Exogenisis Symphony is kinda cool. 2nd Law just pisses me off.

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

Omaha
June 3rd 2014

I thought this was a new release for a sec and got excited

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

20641 Comments

sorry to disappoint you omaha

botb
June 3rd 2014

i hope the new album sounds something like this :/

Rastapunk
June 3rd 2014

Loved the review! Awesome job!!

Artuma

dead star is so great

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

thelastsignal
June 3rd 2014

Nice write-up, Ins. I may check this out, this sounds pretty great.

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

ExplosiveOranges
June 3rd 2014

Good review, Ins. Never listened to much Muse. Maybe this'll change my mind.

Digging: Seven Lions - Worlds Apart

20641 Comments

id recommend giving origin and absolution a shot, and maybe even bh&r before this. but i guess if you just want to get a taste of their sound then this is a fine place to start

SirArthur6
June 17th 2014

Dead Star and Futurism are absolutely awesome.