Autechre
LP5

by Jacquibim CONTRIBUTOR (52 Reviews)
June 1st, 2014 | 45 replies | 1,595 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Autechre are one of the most intriguing groups of the last twenty or so years, not just in the field of electronic music, but music at large. While impressive on a technical level, with particular regard to production techniques, their signature brand of schizophrenia is as inimitable as the day is long. Whether you prefer the ethereal warmth of Amber, the alien sound scapes of Tri Repetae, or the quasi-formlessness of Confield, Autechre’s music is invariably distinct. The beauty of it seems to depend on who you talk to - some revel in the impeccably sculpted rhythms, some in the juxtaposition of dissonant and consonant ideas, while others conjure analogies so wayward that, should they not have been describing an Autechre track, would sound like asylum-bound lunatics. The truth is that there is no wrong answer to what makes these guys so remarkable, and no wrong answer as to which of their albums best encapsulates what they stand for as musicians.

Many artists have gone through one or more stylistic shifts throughout their careers, but this English duo seem to reinvent themselves with just about every album, each and every time managing to create something decidedly Autechre. LP5 is in a unique position in that it sounds like a transitional album, having shed the morsels of humanity that Tri Repetae retained from earlier efforts while hinting at the musical dementia that came in the form of Confield. LP5 doesn’t really sound like musicians attempting to express themselves via their equipment, but an elegant duet of man and machine, locked together in some sort of bio-mechanical harmony. Although the tracks are all driven by concrete rhythms, such is the eccentric nature of some of the arrangements that beats can take minutes to properly flesh out. Songs such a “Vose In” initially appear quite straightforward – by Autechre’s standards, at least – before steadily dissembling into nebulous chaos in a way that needs to be heard to be believed. “Under BOAC” employs the same process but in reverse, as consonance arises from disarray in one fluid motion, you could be fooled into thinking it was completely accidental.

In addition to the rhythmic mayhem, LP5 is littered with blips, bloops, tweaks, clangs and other nuances that are simply beyond any kind of onomatopoeia. The tracks are constantly developing, at times appearing to collapse under their own weight before reassembling by divinely guided chance. Some are more direct, such as the opening pair “Acroyear2” and “777”, which are both frenetic assaults on your senses. “Rae” and “Corc” bring the overall intensity down a notch and add subtle synth lines which create a mosaic of shattered ambience. Just like the tracks themselves, the album itself is in perpetual evolution, with thematic variation as rich and abundant as the intricacies that comprise its individual units. “Fold4, Wrap5” and “Drane2” bring the warmth that the album largely forgoes, while the aforementioned “Under BOAC” and “Arch Carrier” are almost alien in terms of aesthetics, creating an unsettling mood despite being two of the more conservative cuts, compositionally speaking. Indeed, every listen of LP5, whether you’re uninitiated or well-versed in the album and Autechre at large, will reveal something new.

LP5, like all of Autechre’s material, is something that civilly requests your attention as opposed to demanding it. As such, you can look at it on a superficial level and still be gobsmacked by the scrupulous rhythms and spotless sound engineering, but at the same time will be doing the album a disservice. The album’s allure is in the details, both in terms of the textural facets and the development of ideas through each track. It’s difficult to even call LP5 a highpoint when you consider the scope of Autechre’s output. Regardless, this is an indispensable chapter in their story, and a must have for anyone who considers themselves a fan of music both intricate and abstract.

Krusseldorf Fractal WorldSuicide Silence You Can't Stop Me
Origin OmnipresentRippikoulu Ulvaja
Incantation Dirges of ElysiumAborted The Necrotic Manifesto
sexymuffin (3.5)

June 1st 2014

Not a whole lot of new stuff has been inspiring me to write, so I thought I'd have a crack at something outside my comfort zone, hope you like the review :DD

Digging: Krusseldorf - Fractal World

mindleviticus
June 1st 2014

I didn't like this autechre album that much when I first heard it, but it grew on me a lot. So good
now.

June 1st 2014

It's my personal fave but then again I still need to hear a couple more of their albums

mindleviticus

my fav's Untilted ^_^

June 1st 2014

"a mosaic of shattered ambience."

nice. great way to describe Rae.

June 1st 2014

Ah yea the album everyone thinks is untitled until shown otherwise

ExplosiveOranges
June 1st 2014

I've never been much of an electronic guy, but I have been getting into some stuff recently. I oughta check this out. Good review, Jac.

Digging: Seven Lions - Worlds Apart

Thanks dude but you should check out Amber and Tri Repetae before this methinks

ExplosiveOranges
June 1st 2014

Will do. The more, the merrier.

album rules sweet review

like that sentence the best

Digging: Huerco S - Colonial Patterns

you should review EP7 since it lacks one bro

June 1st 2014

Thanks hype, and I will definitely give EP7 a listen, I've sort of neglected their EPs

what a mistake

Digging: Ben Sims - Fabric 73

ep7 is essential listening. rpeg, dropp, and maphive 6.1 are top tier

June 1st 2014

"I've sort of neglected their EPs"

boy will you enjoy Move of Ten and Garbage

June 1st 2014

just listened to their first ep

didnt regret

Keyblade

Yeah Garbage is awesome

Digging: Ishq - Orchid

cavity job?

yeah its pretty cool, but their lego feet stuff is honestly more interesting

June 1st 2014

yeah i already want that too

tommygun