Sun Worship
Elder Giants

by Karl V.H. USER (85 Reviews)
May 21st, 2014 | 60 replies

Release Date: 02/14/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: American black metal repaying the debt

It’s almost hard to start a review about American black metal and not mention forefathers Weakling and torch-bearers Wolves in the Throne Room/ Panopticon who are arguably the most well respected and most recognized influencers in the American realm of black metal. Largely overlooked until about 15 years ago, the black metal scene has now exploded – the Cascadian black metal scene is nothing to shake a stick at either – and finds itself returning to the near homeland from where it began. For years, the Norwegian black metal circuit was all but a few passing prog/ dark metal/ punk crust bands that had sucked the glory days dry and moved on to bigger and more grandeur projects. In a way, it’s funny how black metal has crossed the Atlantic not once but twice now and Germany’s Sun Worship on their debut find themselves influenced by the sprawling atmospheric composures done to perfection by any of the above mentioned American bands.

Opening track 'We Sleep’ gets right down to business and lets loose a barrage of frosty-tinged, blitzkrieging tremolo riffs that melt together and morph into abyssal darkness as the nearly 13 minute track unfolds. At first the WitTR comparisons began to creep in and I almost skipped to the next track when all of a sudden the band opens up its assault with a series of plodding, dynamic riffs that would have Fenriz thinking, “I’m going to use those riffs on the next Darkthrone album”. The warp blasting continues after this bridge but what grabbed me the most was their sense of brutality and old-school punk/crust vibe that layers itself beneath the compositions. The contrasting nature of that old school punk/ crust and sheer atmospheric tremolo riffing is done to perfection and pulls this beast out of the water, not allowing the vibe to become lost in a derivative nature of any sort. The black metal just continues to become more refreshing as the next two tracks - ‘The Absolute is Becoming’ and the epic journey through a darkened forest ‘Elder Giants’ – cement their mighty deep runs of atmospheric black metal and underlays it with the origin roots from places where black metal once first prospered. Finally, the last track ‘Transneptunian (Infinite Gaze)’ makes most ambient Burzum tracks sound like amateur ***. The bands take on power-electronics and ambient keys is foreboding and mesmerizing, drowning the listener in a haze of powerful hypnotic lust. The production/ mix on this monster also helps hold it high above the pact in regards to the placement of everything - including the glass-shard raspy vocals - into a perfect order of importance and giving the guitars that extra oomph and the percussion that extra crispness.

It’s also important to note that while Sun Worship may sound like their American counterparts, they sound passionate about what they do which I feel is mostly missing these days from the black metal scene. All in all, a cornerstone album of where atmospheric black metal has gone and where it may carry onto next.

The Austerity Program Beyond CalculationGodflesh Pure
Lord Mantis Death MaskHorseback Piedmont Apocrypha
Carcass Surgical SteelBody Stuff Body Stuff

19524 Comments

Dedicated to zaruyache and Bergtatt for introducing me to these guys. Love this album to death.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

19933 Comments

hell yes, some more bm and wiz digs it (count me in)

also, really nice job on the review man. this sounds awesome

Digging: Coldworld - Melancholie

PunchforPunch

Nothing about the lyrics in the whole review negd

19933 Comments

album is still streaming on their bandcamp page

Nothing about the lyrics in the whole review negd

So tell me why they're important and why they're worth mentioning.

dragoth
May 21st 2014

Brilliant album and review, pos'd

Crysis
May 21st 2014

shit i gotta check this good review dude

Digging: Swallowed - Lunarterial

Crysis
May 21st 2014

i mean im a connoisseur of frosty-tinged blitzkrieging tremolo riffs that morph into abyssal darkness

haha. one of the best lines of the review

May 21st 2014

I would compare this more to old Ash Borer than WitTR, but yeah point made. If you want more European bm that sounds American, you can also check out the Unru/Paramnesia split because those two bands also seem to worship Cascadia pretty hard. m/

Digging: Ardour Loom - Demo

closing track rules

haha. one of the best lines of the review

I thought I was going to take shit for that corny line but man does it ever work for these guys hahahaha so I kept it. Crysis, you will love this.

I always felt Ash Borer owed a debt to Diadem of 12 Stars so I left it as is. Whatever though, the slower riffs sprinkled throughout are the cream of the crop and then....bam back into the blasting! That's what set these guys apart from the Cascadian bands. Going to have to check that split out too. Didn't know you were deep into the bm scene zaruyache, props dude!

May 21st 2014

I'm a black metal nerd first and foremost. ^_^

stoked to jam again

Evreaia
May 22nd 2014

Such a sweet album. great review too!

Also;
"you can also check out the Unru/Paramnesia split because those two bands also seem to worship Cascadia pretty hard. m/"

Paramnesia's latest album was pretty sweet too!

May 22nd 2014

^ I thought the change in production/recording style was a step down from their EP/Split. And I
thought the tracks had a bit of a hard time staying interesting for 20 minutes. Band did much better
with [LESS THAN] 16 minute tracks.

RoyalImperialGuard
May 22nd 2014

Agreed. The EP was much better than this.

May 22nd 2014

I was talking about Paramnesia, but I should also check out the Sun Worship ep again.

19524 Comments

Dedicated to zaruyache and Bergtatt for introducing me to these guys.

May 22nd 2014

dont u patronize me with ur godam italics. i see how it is.