Lantlos
Melting Sun

by RoundOnEndHiInMiddle USER (15 Reviews)
May 19th, 2014 | 63 replies | 2,699 views

Release Date: 05/02/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Bask in the glow.

Warmth is among the most pleasant sensations a person can feel. I believe that the primary reason for that is that it makes one feel comfortable, safe, and by extension, happy. In stark contrast to all of this, of course, is the cold. And if it's one perception that the genre of shoegaze can convey, it's the cold. Lantlos, a band formerly fronted by Neige, the creative mind behind bands Alcest and Amesoeurs has been associated with a brand of music coined as "blackgaze" for a time. "Blackgaze" mixes atmospheric black metal and shoegaze, often culminating in a boreal and wintry impression. However, without Neige's influence, the new Lantlos record contains a very different feeling.

Even in the name and the album cover, Melting Sun radiates with warmth throughout the albums 40-minute run time. Each new texture added to the music, each graceful vocal section, feels like another ray from the sun reaching the listeners skin. It is a testament to how competent each member is in their respective field that they can make a style of music known for being bitingly cold sound so inviting, so ready to be heard. The record does get off to a bit of a slow start, as the opener is not nearly on the level of the other tracks, but the next three tracks are a magnificent foray into the brightness the record offers.

The ending to "Melting Sun II: Cherry Quartz" drives home how this feeling of warmth is essential to the album. In those last 40 seconds, tremelo-picked guitars play a riff that normally would seem haunting, if not for the atmosphere of the album. In this context, the riff changes from haunting to alluring and gorgeous. The album goes on from there, becoming increasingly beautiful with each song, with the focus remaining on the atmosphere created. Closer "Melting Sun VI: Golden Mind" combines tear-jerking guitars with whispery vocals to make a fulfilling end to the record.

Lantlos may have lost a very talented man in the form of Neige, but the resilience to make a record with this type of atmosphere, a sort of anti-thesis to most "blackgaze" records, is quite impressive to say the least. It's a beautiful listen, and may go down as one of the more important listens in the "blackgaze" scene. Whether or not Lantlos will stick with this style, and even expand on it, is not known. But, with this release, they're certainly making listeners hope so.

Del tha Funkee Homosapien I Wish My Brother George Was HereDjRum Mountains
Code Orange CyclesI Killed The Prom Queen Beloved
Bob Marley and The Wailers Soul RevolutionAtmosphere Overcast! EP
Nick Mongiardo CONTRIBUTOR (4)
No Neige? No problem....

do you dig any bands pre deftones? (4.5)
Lantlos drop all black metal related elements to outstanding effect....

Agape

is this like sunbather

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

RoundOnEndHiInMiddle

Not really, imo

Digging: La Dispute - Somewhere at the Bottom of the River...

emester

2032 Comments

Theres some similarities (the shoegaze elements), but they are few and far between. Personally this beats sunbather on every single level

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

Rhyme
May 18th 2014

i think i still like agape the most

need to go through their discog again

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

demigod!
May 18th 2014

great stuff. I can see why people would compare it to Sunbather but really they're quite different outside a few characteristics. the Space Rock elements of this really set it apart from a lot of "blackgaze" type stuff I've heard. At times it feels more like Hum or Failure than Deafheaven or... um... some other blackgaze band (ugh I cringe every time I use that label!)

so yeah, check this out, even if you're hesitant cause you disliked sunbather (cause really it's not like that at all). hell, a lot of the guitar work on here even reminds me of Devin Townsend. so there's that.

Digging: Black Flag - My War

zaruyache
May 18th 2014

doesn't tell me what the music is actually like tho

Digging: Sunwolf - Beholden To Nothing And No One

Rhyme
May 19th 2014

surprised the reviewer didnt talk about the djent section since it seems like something worth mentioning

aircycle
May 19th 2014

this sounds kinda sterile to me idk

ZombicidalMan
May 19th 2014

the intro to this review pissed me off but then I realized my reviews start off just as shitty

guess I should listen to this sometime soon

Amphoteric

"is this like sunbather"

This is nothing like Sunbather.

Digging: Slugdge - Gastronomicon

Amphoteric
May 19th 2014

Unless you want to count the pink album cover

tempest--
May 19th 2014

"surprised the reviewer didnt talk about the djent section"

"the djent section"

Keyblade

It actually rules

Digging: Ishq - Orchid

sweet

Evreaia
May 19th 2014

Neige has nothing to do with Peste Noire, he wrote a single song and played drum on a demo, that's it.
He most definitely isn't the creative mind behind that band.

That would be La Sale Famine, he has wrote EVERYTHING bar a single song, (he even wrote the drum parts
Neige played). Switch Peste Noire up with an other band like Old Silver key or something, but the
mention of Peste Noire is just plain wrong.

Except for that, good review. Edit the PN thingy and I'd pos it.

EDIT: Also, Alcest hasn't been a solo project for a couple of years already.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

May 19th 2014

I know I'm gonna love this!

Digging: Lilys - Eccsame The Photon Band

osmark86
May 19th 2014

it's a very solid release, so yes, you might just love this.

May 19th 2014

This is heavy shoegaze more than bm, really digging on first and second track plus that special cd edition is giving me an eye I don't think I'll be able to resist :3

osmark86
May 19th 2014

yeah I wouldn't really consider this bm at all. bm is simply where the band came from.

May 19th 2014

as long as the music's good that's all that matters anyway innit?