Closure in Moscow
Pink Lemonade

good

by Tony Li USER (36 Reviews)
May 7th, 2014 | 71 replies | 5,378 views

Release Date: 05/09/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not as appetizing as the album name suggests.

After First Temple emerged into the post-hardcore scene as a flavored, technical, yet accessible interpretation on the genre, Closure In Moscow has made significant strides in a different direction; as soon as we are well acquainted with the First Temple incarnation of the band, they change almost everything about themselves. As admirably risky such a feat is, with the release of Pink Lemonade, the band shows an oddly contrived sense of progression. The new direction can be inadequately described as an expansion of the more eclectic aspects of First Temple. This is marginally recognizable as Closure in Moscow, and the band appears to downplay its strengths for cheap gimmicks designed to make them stand out, but end up detracting from the experience.

Closure in Moscow had vast potential with their new sound; the non-album version of "Church of the Technochrist" and older single "The Impeccable Beast" foreshadowed a more streamlined progressive rock leaning, combining their propensity for vocal hooks and groovy guitar jamming. It was a delicious combination, but seemingly for the sake of artistic spirit, the band tacked on a series of unnecessary and off-putting production choices that ultimately bog down their ability to engage the listener. Make no mistake; there are good songs on here, and the experience is an enjoyable, if confusing one. There are, however, major shortcomings that prevent the album from being something great.

The combination of slower songs, jarring vocal effects, and wanton sampling are distractions, but even when these aren't in play the musicians are still not at the top of their game. A sweet riff appears in the beginning of the album's titular second track, but it's muted enough to nearly be missed; other demonstrations of technical ability are shamefully absent from other tracks as well, with the focus landing on Christopher DeCinque's excellent but melodically misused clean vocals. The album's final track deserves a special shoutout: it's a chiptune/jpop track and while it honestly isn't absolutely terrible, it's a massive stylistic deviation. It isn't a satisfying closer in any sense, but as a lighthearted joke it fills its role.

Pink Lemonade, while showing snippets of Closure In Moscow's immense musical ability, ends up being a hilariously bloated and sadly lackluster album, rife with filler. For every brilliant moment there are two more moments that must simply be tolerated. Very unfortunately, the band is at its best when it's being the most repetitive. Musical ideas are tossed about haphazardly, showing little regard for consistency, and this reviewer is left wishing that the band would shed the unnecessary elements to focus on what it's best at.

Standout Tracks:

How to Dress Well What Is This Heart?Lana Del Rey Ultraviolence
The Amity Affliction Let the Ocean Take MeAdestria Gilded Hearts
Save Us From The Archon ThereafterDionaea Still
kevin234 (5)
Not too sweet and not too sour. Not too satirical and not too serious....

Jacob R. STAFF (3.8)
This here is your techcommunion...

Mikey Graves (5)
Not too sweet, not too sour, five years later, Pink Lemonade is a downright psychotropic epic....

May 6th 2014

I really really really wanted to like this but it's too weighed down by dumb things

Digging: Trophy Scars - Never Born, Never Dead

May 6th 2014

thirst quenching not appetizing wtf

May 6th 2014

trebor do you know what appetizing means ;)

Futures

lol

Digging: Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

PowerBlitz
May 6th 2014

Pink Lemonade tastes so good though... gonna listen to this when it hits Spotify though.

Appetizing - stimulates the appetite

Appetite is the desire to eat food, felt as hunger. Appetite exists in all higher life-forms, and serves to regulate adequate energy intake to maintain metabolic needs.

I ain't never been hungry for a fucking drink, especially pink lemonaide

I have however been thirsty for it

pepster50

hahaa oh the banter

May 6th 2014

I have literally nothing better to do, hence the post count

aircycle
May 6th 2014

pretty sure it would be the desire for nutrients, not specifically solid food

not that pink lemonade provides much of anything

aircycle
May 6th 2014

"After First Temple emerged into the post-hardcore scene as a flavored, technical, yet accessible
interpretation on the genre, the band has made"

kind of unimportant but since this is the first sentence I would say "Closure in Moscow" rather than
"the band" here- it kinda sounds like the band is First Temple

also you called them "Closure Moscow" later in the first paragraph just a heads up

review is good though i have not heard this...sounds disappointing :/

May 6th 2014

damn aircycle good catches, I need to proofread.....

but anyway Treb, Merriam Webster tells me that appetizing means "appealing to the appetite especially in appearance or aroma; also : appealing to one's taste "

It also gives the example of stew (which is a liquid), so it's safe to say pink lemonade can in fact be appetizing

May 6th 2014

oh yeah don't pass this one up! it's disappointing but it has its fair share of goodness

May 6th 2014

"It also gives the example of stew (which is a liquid)"

stew is a fucking hardy meal that fills you up though, I'm not debating that it can't be a liquid

May 6th 2014

yeah I love my stew from time to time

kevin234
May 6th 2014

how is neoprene byzantine not a recommended track? This is a shoddy review of the album at best. It takes many listens to full understanding everything that is going on here and I doubt the reviewer gave it the time.

May 6th 2014

I have had the album for a week, and have listened to it many times fully

also oops I guess I forgot to add that track to the section; will rectify

May 6th 2014

for the record, I like this album, but it's nowhere near cohesive enough to be a really good one

Calc
May 6th 2014

"as soon as we are well acquainted with the First Temple incarnation of the band, they change almost everything about themselves."

yeah after 5 years since first temple came out I just became acquainted with its sound too

Digging: He Is Legend - Heavy Fruit

has it really been 5 years...hot damn

JaySpiral
May 7th 2014

I'm really digging this album. It's different and stylistically varied, but it's so good. It has some cringe-worthy lyrics at times but that doesn't usually bother me. I'm not in the slightest bit disappointed by this.