Black Stone Cherry
Magic Mountain

1.5
very poor

by jordan. CONTRIBUTOR (58 Reviews)
May 3rd, 2014 | 38 replies

Release Date: 05/06/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Coming Down

I could start off this review lamenting the current state of how we conceive rock & roll or how Black Stone Cherry's new record sounds almost exactly like an even more offensively sexist and racist Nickelback. I could try and make a witty comment about how this album is 'coming down the mountain' (read: summary), or better yet make hyperbolic claims that this will be the most blatantly homogenous outing this year. But I'm not going to. Simply put; Magic Mountain just isn't a good album.

It's not to say it's ridiculously offensive in nature (which lyrically, it is) or that it is even unlistenable (possibly the only quality I will put in its favour if radio rock merit must be awarded), but Black Stone Cherry are so rooted in something so bland and dead in the ground that it's physically repulsive that a band would attempt such a resurrection when they have little innovative to offer. So indistinguishable are the opening trio ("Holding On... To Letting Go", "Peace Pipe" and "Bad Luck & Hard Love") that it's difficult to imagine much effort or thought went into the songwriting process. Things only get hugely worse from this point on; "Me & Mary Jane" provides a fairly unlikeable chorus hook to hang some uninspired lyrics that imply a bit of ass play is at hand (yes, that's how I interpret "creepin' up slow/hangin' round my back door").

But then, that's really just the beginning. At least those songs could be redeemed for their laughable post-grunge diatribe. When it gets to radio-rock power ballad "Runaway" or horrendous McGraw-aping "Hollywood in Kentucky", all you can do is attempt to hold back your own vomit at the repulsively generic structure and lyrics that this band musters. Admittedly, salvation comes only in songs that can be described as 'not quite as ***'; obligatory heaviness on "Fiesta del Feugo" and hints of Alter Bridge on "Remember Me" hint reprieve that is still not up to standards.

Of course, it's all well and good to prove a point that a substantial market is available for this, and without a doubt this band will appeal to those who aren't as critically discerning. The tendency for the masses to shout 'rawk ain't dead!' will unfortunately see more uninspired efforts like this take hold as people forget the Roll and just focus on three and a half-minute song structures, guitar solos, riffs and simple choruses. It stifles innovation and irritates the rest of us who realize rock and roll really isn't being as regressive as humanly possible; I can hardly blame these deep-Southerner's for taking advantage of the situation.

Manchester Orchestra HopeAlt-J This Is All Yours
Slash World On FireU2 Songs of Innocence
The Kooks ListenRobert Plant Lullaby And… The Ceaseless Roar
2.6
AaronBatt (2)
Black Stone Cherry tumbles down the mountain......

May 2nd 2014

Stream: http://www.rocking.gr/news/Se-streaming-olokliro-to-neo-album-twn-Black-Stone-Cherry/20019/

Yeah just... not good

Feedback appreciated

Digging: Iceage - Plowing Into the Field of Love

fromtheinside
May 3rd 2014

i see this band is labeled both hard rock annd rock. was this band ever good?

Digging: Gehenna - Seen Through the Veils of Darkness

May 3rd 2014

I didn't mind their last album (Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea) but otherwise they're just not very good radio rockers

BigSneakySnatch
May 3rd 2014

their first 2 albums were ok, last one was shit, not gonna bother with this one. btw, they're from Kentucky so they aren't deep southerners, just normal southerners. nice review though

EvoHavok
May 3rd 2014

The rain wizard will do it again
Bring magic to our land

Not anymore, right?

Digging: Pandemonium - Insomnia

May 3rd 2014

i see this band is labeled both hard rock annd rock. was this band ever good?

also curious about this please answer

Digging: Chris Brown - X

May 3rd 2014

I will admit they have a few good jams like "White Trash Millionare" and "Killing Floor" (on last album, Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea) but generally speaking they've never been that good. Since they've started being a metal/rock band they've cleared away the potential that was in their early cowpunk/southern leanings

May 3rd 2014

they appear to be very visual kei, no?

May 3rd 2014

visual kei implies they're influenced by bands who aren't Lynyrd Skynyrd and Nickelback

huh?

May 3rd 2014

visual kei is that japanese hair metal piss take thing right? Yeah these guys are nothing like that lol

May 3rd 2014

oh my bad. the album art

May 3rd 2014

it boggles the mind how they ended up with that album cover and said "yes. this represents our music perfectly"

Green Baron

20000 Comments

last one was so cock rocky, i hated it.

I heard Me & Mary Jane a couple times on the radio, it wasn't that bad. I like the hook, honestly. It's about weed though, can't believe it took me that long to realize.

RivalSkoomaDealer
May 3rd 2014

These guys are from my hometown. So are Cage the Elephant. I vastly prefer Cage. Not to mention the guys in BSC go around town acting like they're the best thing that ever happened to music.

That said, first two albums are quite decent. They're actually pretty solid musicians but it seems like either the label is making them write terrible pop radio butt rock or they're just trying to sell out.

Digging: Julian Casablancas and The Voidz - Tyranny

Killerhit

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this band

Kalopsia
May 3rd 2014

"It's about weed though, can't believe it took me that long to realize."

you didn't realize that from the title alone? lol

TooManyFriends
May 3rd 2014

People saying this band has always sucked are out of their minds. Their first album was extremely good. Interesting lyrics and killer songwriting. All been downhill from there though

KerfuffleinaHussle
May 3rd 2014

their first and second albums had some great jams

this and the other one are unforgiveable though god damn

Kalopsia
May 3rd 2014

agree with kerfuff here, i own their first two albums

3rd album had 2 or 3 decent songs

but yeah, gonna pass on this one