Emmure
Eternal Enemies

1.0
awful

by VaxXi USER (15 Reviews)
April 15th, 2014 | 24 replies | 1,648 views

Release Date: 04/15/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hell exists my friends, and this is what it sounds like

If there’s one band that will forever remain in my heart, it’s Emmure. Not because they’ve captured it like The Antlers, with soul crushing lyrics and amazing ambient atmosphere, or opened my eyes to music I would of never explored like Kanye West. No, Emmure captured my heart because they were the first band in all my years alive that gave me a literal headache listening to their album.

This is a special achievement in my opinion, one that many bands would never be able to pull off. I know people will say that “So and So gave me a headache,” but I doubt they ever meant it. Yet somehow, while listening to this album’s stream, I had a real headache about for songs in, and that, is something that will forever be a part of me.

Alright, stupid intros aside and to save you any more unnecessary reading. I’ll get straight to the point. Emmure is an awful band, I would even go as far as to say they’re one of the worst bands in the history of music. Bold claim? Yeah I know, but I think it’s a justified claim after you take a gander at any of the album’s tracks. Eternal Enemies is Metalcore at it’s worst, the album takes every single cliche and trope from the genres shelves and overstuffs it to the point that the album is beyond untolerable.

The album is an unfocused mess, every last trick the band has up it’s sleeve is shoved into each song so carelessly and uncomfortably it’s almost near impossible to understand what exactly is going on in each track without getting a headache. Every generic cliche will be shoved down your throat in the album, low tuned guitars, aggressive riffs, high pitched guitars, screaming, rapping, growling, it’s all there, and it would be far more effective if it wasn’t.

Every last bit of creativity is devoid from this album. After three tracks you will start to wonder if you’re still on the first song of the album, because every riff, every note, every drum beat, every lyric is all the same. The theme’s of the album center around something being dead or how cool Emmure is, that’s really all there is.

Rather the band isn't taking themselves seriously or are taking themselves way too seriously is a mystery to me. For one the first track of the album is literally “Bring A Gun To School” I don’t think I’ve seen anything that tasteless since Grindcore was a thing. Though sometimes, in the 45 minutes this album drags on. There are ideas and lyrics that for a few seconds before being washed away from all the gunk actually work. Of course, because they’re only there for a couple seconds before vanishing you will forget they were there in the first place and just end up hating the track all over again.

The lyrics too, if you can actually catch half of them in this hell of random strumming and screaming are an absolute joke. It could be argued they’re meant to be jokes, which begs the question on why they’re even there in the first place. There’s really nothing in the lyrics worth mentioning, as it only adds more to the headache you already have from listening to the album.

All-In-All, Eternal Enemies is an absolute nightmare. One that will leave you feeling dirty and confused before the album even reaches the twenty minute mark. Do yourself a major favor and stay as far away from this album as possible. It will save you the wasted time, trust me.

Now if you excuse me, I have an awful headache I need to get taken care of.

Imagine Dragons The ArchiveHaywyre The Voyage
Onyx #WakeDaFucUpKnife Party 100% No Modern Talking
Blue October FoiledBlue October Sway
1.6
very poor
  • Jared Floryan (1.5)
    If we're keeping it real, then Frankie and his bros at Emmure must be keeping it fake....

John Anderton (2)
    Predictably disappointing....

Davey Boy STAFF (1.5)
    “Get up” & “bounce”, because “the realest motherf*ckers in the game” are back ...

Jeremy Wolfers (1.5)
    Sometimes to appreciate the truly good, one has to look to the truly bad to compare it to....

• Nocturnal (2)
    Diagonal ass niggas and time vampires watch the fuck out....

April 14th 2014

Three Emmure reviews on the user review column in a row.

FiveLeavesLeft
April 14th 2014

I'm thinking of bringing another one into the ring

April 14th 2014

Lol, Emmure's album is gonna have so many pages of reviews.

BANDWAGON BANDWAGON BANDWAGON!

I was holding this review off for tomorrow, but considering two users along with a staff member beat
me to the punch I might as well upload it now. Also damn, you guys are quick, 42 views and not even
two minutes have passed XD

The full album can be streamed, if you really hate yourself that much, on YouTube:

4 reviews of this album in total on the front page

maybe more later idk

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

emester

2032 Comments

Watch La Gargola lose its title of most discussed album to this trite by tomorrow morning

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

climactic
April 14th 2014

its a good thing this got all these negative reviews, i was definitely gonna check it out but now i wont.

April 14th 2014

I have so many Emmure things in my Discussions tab now damn.

SnakeDelilah
April 14th 2014

what the fuck how many fucking reviews have been posted for this in the past hour

Digging: Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

April 14th 2014

Man I knew Victory Records had some pretty bad artists lined up, but I never imagined THIS was on the label. Hopefully one day Streetlight Manifesto and A Day To Remember will be able to get off the label so they stop dragging em down.

April 14th 2014

Streetlight and ADTR are both off Victory already I think.

April 14th 2014

i never actually listened to a full emmure album cuz lmao its emmure but now i'll give em a chance just for fun

April 14th 2014

Have fun, I wasn't joking when I said I got a headache from this album.

holy fucking shit

i'm having too much fun

@Snide

Techincally, despite theyre contracts saying there free to leave after four albums thats sadly not the case. Because the laywers at Victory got sneaky and looped holed it by NOT releasing their albums.

The Hands That Thieve and Common Courtesy have technically not released because Victory refuses to release them. THTT had to be leaked by the bands members online in order to get it into fans hands and Common Courtesy was leaked by the band, thus Victory is suing them for putting it on stores without their OK.

I hate Victory a lot.

Propose

good album

April 14th 2014

Wow, Victory records are a bunch of scumbags.

jsaf7
April 14th 2014

I've only heard one song off of felony, and that was MORE than enough i needed to ever hear from this band.. but to be honest, does this band have ANYTHING that's worth listening to?

wacknizzle

@jasf7: Goodbye To Gallows has a few good tunes

Digging: Systems - Ghost Medicine

Insurrection

20641 Comments

yeah goodbye to the gallows is the closest this band ever came to being decent

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails