The Hotelier

by Adam Thomas EMERITUS
April 12th, 2014 | 1380 replies

Release Date: 02/25/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Grief

In a lot of ways, The Hotelier's Home, Like NoPlace Is There hits the same resonant experiences in my life that made me gravitate to Superchunk's I Hate Music last year. For me personally, many of those notes still ring loudly; a friend committing suicide, another two being murdered, and one finally succumbing to a decade long fight with cancer. These are the kind of events that shake you in your mid-20's. For 26 years I thought I was invincible, but that was an illusion. It's a rather shattering realization. The only other experience I had with death was burying my grandfather a few years prior and it's not the same kind of loss. It stung in a different way. He lived a full life and died with his loved ones at his side. That's a lot different than having your body eat you alive in your 30's or to be found decomposing in an irrigation ditch at 19.

It's that kind of grieving that is at the heart of Home, Like NoPlace Is There. The record is a haunting recollection of a suicide and the rebuilding process that is birthed out of working through that loss. It's months and sometimes years of second guessing your entire relationship with a person, looking for clues, and being paralyzed by the weight of all that circumstance. That being said, what has drawn me to the album – and so much so that it has been on near constant repeat for the last few months – is that it's not the kind of record that wallows in that sadness. It is all about being strong. It reaches out and tries to help make sense of it all. It's a comforting empathy. The stories are intensely personal but are so easily transferable beyond their original inspiration. It's Death of the Author theory on a musical scale. Home, Like NoPlace Is There begs to be adapted to its listener's own fears and struggles, regardless of if it's grief, isolation, identity or even something a bit more abstract. It's a helping hand when you need it most – and that's the strongest compliment I could ever possibly give a record.

Sleater-Kinney No Cities to LoveAt the Gates At War with Reality
Weezer Everything Will Be Alright in the EndYOB Clearing The Path To Ascend
United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim

Faraudo
April 11th 2014

Great review; straight to the point, personal, and brief. That's how I like my reviews, well done man.

Digging: Young the Giant - Home Of The Strange

Rowan5215

Fuck yeah nice job

Digging: Frank Ocean - Blonde

gay

20801 Comments

first paragraph is really heavy stuff. review is excellent and deeply revealing

TooLateToGoBack

1942 Comments

one of my favorite reviews on the site.

that was beautiful, dude.

Athom
April 11th 2014

i've been sitting on posting this for a week. didn't know if it was too heavy, but figured that's why everyone likes the record so why not.

Jade

Nice work man

Kris.

wrong rating, neg

Rhyme

nice review dude

i've been sleeping on this album for too long

ProjectFreak

well said.

joshieboy12345

Cool review

nice

April 12th 2014

I dig this review and I agree that the album can helpful during hard times. great job

Digging: Imperium Dekadenz - Dis Manibvs

Athom
April 12th 2014

TREB GET YR ASS TO THE VU!

ABjordanMM
April 12th 2014

sweet review. sweet album.

dimsim3478

Lucid

hope never dies

Lucid
April 12th 2014

it's definitely the kind of record that can save someone

menawati
April 12th 2014

great review, one of those records i just can't see why is so loved but, hey, seems to mean a lot to many people so thats cool