Versailles
Noble

by Dalton DuBois USER (17 Reviews)
April 5th, 2014 | 42 replies | 1,265 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Beautiful melodic vocals, dueling guitars, and overwhelming classical influences make for a nonstop thrill ride of an album

It’s not very often that you have a band who successfully juxtaposes classical arrangements with their music to the point where it’s a driving force and not a gimmick or just a background addition, but Versailles have nailed it right on the head. Everything in this album works in perfect synchronization; Versailles has crafted a superb debut album that stands out amongst the crowd as energetic, passionate and melodic.

The main attraction that pushes this album to great heights is the well placed classical compositions that are riddled throughout each of the songs. Whether said compositions are soaring choir vocals, fast violin build ups or dashes of intricate piano pieces, this album has them all. The verses of songs such as “The Revenant Choir” and “History of the Other Side” are all elevated to greater heights by the choir arrangements. Every song is extremely busy but not in a distracting or chaotic way, everything amalgamates quite nicely. That’s not to say there aren’t stand out moments in the classical compositions however; the piano ballad “Episode” shows off the craftsmanship this band is able to put into their piano pieces. That level of skill is well prevalent throughout the entirety of the album.

That’s not to say the other instrumentals lag behind, quite the opposite actually. The guitars take center stage here, dueling and riffing away at breakneck speed. Every guitar solo on this album is varied, unique and well structured, notably the solos on “Aristocrat’s Symphony”, “Suzerain” and “The Revenant Choir.” The bass is rather silent on this album, but it follows the guitar nicely and occasionally has some stand out moments where a groovy bass line leads you into a solo or another verse such as in “Suzerain.” The drums utilize double bass rather well and the fill work is spot on. It has no problem keeping up or even standing out from the rest of the album’s material.

The clean vocals are deep, melodic and are only made to soar higher from the fantastic instrumental accompaniments. His style is very soft and intimate but at the same time he commands such force with his voice that you’d feel more captivated by the strength in his performance than anything else, it’s almost contradictory. The harsh vocals unfortunately feel a little shoehorned into the mix and thus lack impact. The production style is crisp and well mixed, however the drums could have had a tad bit more impact.

In short, this is a fantastic and well composed debut album that had me impressed almost instantly. For those who have been missing classical influence in your music, this album is most certainly worth checking out.

The Best: “Aristocrat’s Symphony”, “The Revenant Choir”, “Suzerain”, “History of the Other Side”, “Episode.”

The Worst: “Antique in the Future.”

Avril Lavigne Avril LavigneFraming Hanley The Sum of Who We Are
Capture the Crown Live LifeOlivier Deriviere Remember Me - Official Soundtrack
Brothers Grimm All Is WellGreen Day 21st Century Breakdown

April 5th 2014

Thank you CalculatingInfinity for showing me this god damn amazing album.

The Revenant Choir - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpUgt6r2vSE

April 5th 2014

Snide, THANK YOU. This needed a review, pos :D.

@Snide: That take is worse than the orginal version and the physical CD has both versions, post the music video of it since it has the orginal version.

April 5th 2014

It's no prob bro, I'm going to be jamming quite a few tracks off this for quite a while.

SnakeDelilah
April 5th 2014

i want to tell you about the guy who lost his glasses in versailles but i don't want to make another vers eye joke

Digging: Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

EvoHavok
April 5th 2014

This band needs more reviews! Good job!

Digging: Ningen-Isu - Burai Houjou

OwMySnauze

Are these guys on Rise?

Digging: The Antikythera Mechanism - Pathos

April 5th 2014

Snauze, these guys are a Japanese Classical / Power Metal band.
Rise wouldn't even look at them.

Thanks Evo!

Snake... lmao

April 5th 2014

Jamming yet again due to this review, love this album to bits. Kamijo still gives me chills, especally on History of the Other Side.

April 5th 2014

History of the Other Side is damn amazing, seriously. I love epic songs like that.

April 5th 2014

Definately in my top 20 tracks ever. The only track which Versailles did that was even better was God Palace on Jubilee.

April 5th 2014

Is Jubilee on par with this?

April 5th 2014

This is Versailles' best so no. Jubilee's high's are stunning (with God Palace being the ultimate peak as songwriters IMO) but Rosen Schwert, Amorphous, Catharsis and The Umbrella of Glass are dull and since 3 of the songs are packed together it makes for a dull middle section. The songs had great ideas but the excution is lacking. Everything else is either an awesome listen or solid gold so I'd rank it a 4. I'd recommend all of Versailles' albums (plus Lyrical Sympathy) minus Holy Grail unless your a big fan of Versailles.

April 5th 2014

What's up with Holy Grail? Is the album really that bad?

April 5th 2014

It's a 2.8 for me, I have no idea what happened to them in that album. Minus awesome 3 tracks (with one of them a divine 16 minute track which saves the album), everything else is them sounding tired and uncreative or just being good with no special spark minus a few select parts. Despite this is has a stunning Deluxe Special Edition of it, which is the only reason why I have the album.

April 5th 2014

Damn that's disappointing, maybe it's a good thing that they stopped making music as a band.

April 5th 2014

The self titled got them back on track. Had quite a lot of superb material on it, cut down on length which benifited the album and they're wasn't one bad moment on it although it was clear that their glory days were over since they were ultimately wanted to disband Versailles, they re-recorded two tracks which in my opinion is lazy despite its symbolic meaning and the album didn't have any "OMG THIS IS GREATEST SHIT EVER" tracks like History to the Other Side.

April 5th 2014

Also I forgot to mention that Holy Grail had Kamjio's worst vocal performance overall while the self titled had Kamjio's best single performance (the falsetto at the end of Created Beauty).

April 5th 2014

Yeah I think they would need another "Noble" album to keep the band going.

April 5th 2014

They needed to break since they worked endlessly and need new ideas. Which is why I'm pissed off that they're still doing other projects. The other albums will not disappoint you, they're all awesome listens (minus Holy Grail).

OwMySnauze
April 5th 2014

Thanks Snide. I mixed them up with a different band on Rise with similar name Palis..something?