Buffalo Springfield
Buffalo Springfield Again

by ElmoTerry USER (2 Reviews)
March 28th, 2014 | 22 replies

Release Date: 1967 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The best Buffalo Springfield album.

Here it is, the best album in the Buffalo Springfield catalog: Buffalo Springfield Again!

The Buffalo Springfield was a band that served as a springboard for the careers of Neil Young, Stephen Stills and Richie Furay, later in Poco. The three of them were the creative heart of the band, writing all the band's original material. With songs ranging in genres from Country to folk to plain old guitar rich 60's rock, they made the band what it was: an unpredictable, under appreciated and variation capable steamroller of country and folk rock.

The album was released in 1967, and the band had already managed to form, release a debut album and make a name for them selves at the Whiskey A-Go-Go the year before. Now, after firing the producers who according to Neil Young "ruined the album" (a statement I do agree with) they're at it again.This time with Furay not only singing songs which Neil wrote for him on the previous album, but also showing he is a country song-writer ahead of his time.

The album opens with a Neil composition sung by himself called "Mr. Soul". The heavy, striking and sluggish riff reminds the listener of a famous Stones song, but the dry tone of the guitar puts us in another mood than "Satisfaction". Throughout the album, beginning with "Mr. Soul" we're transported into a world were the guitars tell the stories, accompanied by three voices echoing lyrics of clowns, bluebirds and Indians. Most of the songs are no longer than 4:30, but their variation, especially seen with the album's first three, tell us that we don't need longer. Mostly there are undistorted guitars playing to us, but we occasionally meet a piano and Steve Still's fuzz guitar.

The song standing out from the rest is the one Neil recorded in solitude the summer in '67 he quit the band (and as a consequence didn't join them at Monterey): Expecting to fly. It's drifting vocals and Nietzsche composed strings immediately puts you at ease and relaxes your muscles. Neil has never done anything like it since, and soon after the last tone of the outro has been played, we're left back where we started, at the familiar, and well crafted country rock, only this time with a fuzz guitar and a banjo. Including a Jazz and soul track into the mix in "Everydays" and "Good Time Boy" respectively, the album has a varied sound mostly with base in the boys' guitars and voices.

For not only is this band a springboard for its song writers, it is also the predecessor to another band: Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. The vocal harmonies on "Bluebird" and "A Child's Claim To Fame" are unmistakably recognizable in CSN and CSN & Y's work. Just compare it to "Carry On" on "Déja Vù" and you'll see where it originated. Their voices alone, and the duet between Stills and Furay on "Hung Upside Down", in addition to it's fine guitar work from Neil and Steve, is simply stunning.

The album's lowest point however, follows the lonely and melancholic ballad Furay sings almost alone with his guitar ("Sad Memory"). "Good Time Boy" is sung by their drummer, Dewey Martin who is without a doubt a competent percussionist, but his imitation of soul on this track is both cruel to the lyrics and far from the creativity and high musical standard the rest of the album has.

Neil's closing song on the album is an experimental song which includes changes from 4/4 measure to 3/4 and an illusion of changing melodies from verse to verse. His voice, Dewey's drums and Don Randi's piano steer the track from beginning to end accompanied by strange audio clips, and audiences cheering to several bizarre music acts including a Martin Sung "Mr. Soul" and an organ grinder. The song is called "Broken Arrow", with its lyrics deep in the Young universe, finding traces of the same story in other songs such as "The last Trip To Tulsa" and "Down By The River".

In short, the album's strengths are its classic rock and country songs, its catchy, blues and country inspired guitar interplay, and its great vocal arrangements both in backing ("Rock And Roll Woman") and harmony ("A Child's Claim to Fame"). Some of the most well-known Buffalo Springfield songs are included in this well-produced, well-made album and so it deserves the status of a classic: 5/5.

ExcentrifugalForz
March 28th 2014

very detailed review

I guess the Buffalo have done other good songs besides For What It's Worth

Cygnatti
March 28th 2014

i've been putting this off for so fucking long. omfg

Digging: Jon Hopkins - Immunity

hermanjohannes
March 29th 2014

Nice review man! Keep it up!

manosg
March 30th 2014

If it's that good, I'll give it a listen.

Digging: John Coltrane - Ballads

PsychoJackal
May 3rd 2014

Man, this was really well written, keep posting these!

May 24th 2014

she got soul!

Digging: A Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology

June 28th 2014

broken arrow is so great

July 1st 2014

no seriously guys this fuckin rules

do you think she loves yoooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

oi wankers

good band

July 1st 2014

yo dude sup im rockin hard

check this shit out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy6Ei7Cnqgw

July 1st 2014

yo dude fukn sick, cant even stop coughing long enough to inhale some sesh!!

but yea sweet vid i was born in the wrong decade

i mean fuck even the way they hold their guitars is so fuckin 60s man

July 1st 2014

damn dude i dont even smoke weed anymore it fried my brainz

and neil young looks proper snazzy with that 'do i feel like a faggot with my faux hawk double crown bullshit

neil is so my hero

July 1st 2014

dude can you believe this shit has 77 votes where are the real music listeners anyway man the new mastodons already got 500 votes its been out a day fucking cunts dont know the classics bare filth

July 1st 2014

tbh I just now rated this, which is v v weird, cuz I know I went to their page a few weeks ago I guess I just didn't rate

but yea I feel u dude mastodon can suck my prison purse

July 1st 2014

its like fair enough most retards on this site HAVE heard the beatles but thats about it i tell em to jam tommy and they tell me to do 1 so i tell them to jam the kinks or the byrds and i get told to fuck off cos theyre all jammin the new ETID i cant live in this world anymore im done for

July 1st 2014

yea dude i didnt rate for ages either i always forget but i havent gotten into this till recently i always dug mr soul tho

david crosbys first record is fuckin awesome too that dont even have a review!

July 1st 2014

yea man its pitiful i facepalm irl so often when i see shit on here.

my boss for my summer 2nd job is a huge 60s folk rock fan. He had a sweet playlist on when I was over his house on fathers day. Lots of this, and all the crosby, nash, etc. and so forth and even some cool albums I've never heard