Bring Me the Horizon
Sempiternal

by Jaime Silva USER (7 Reviews)
March 18th, 2014 | 37 replies

Release Date: 04/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With Sempiternal, Bring Me the Horizon have transcended their deathcore label and finally become a band worth your time.

Sempiternal is a fantastic album. It is the perfect example of an okay band showing signs of transforming into a great one. Bring Me the Horizon have perfected their particular brand of metalcore with their fourth LP by blending it seamlessly with an electronic sound and small hints of pop influence. On this album Bring Me the Horizon have something to say, and they wanna make sure you hear it.

Sempiternal's opening gives you a good idea of the direction the band is headed. The first song on the album, Can You Feel My Heart, opens with a blaringly loud keyboard riff that continues throughout most of the song. Electronics have become a more prominent part of Bring Me the Horizon's sound on Sempiternal, being featured on almost every song on the record. Most of the songs use the electronics to accentuate themselves and give them a grander scale, as well as make them seem a bit more symphonic. The electronics never feel like a crutch.

The lyrics and vocal delivery on this record also deserve some praise with frontman Oli Sykes writing some of the band's most emotionally charged lyrics and providing what is easily the angriest, loudest, most intense vocal performance out of any of the band's previous efforts. His hardcore-esque screaming is abrasive yet accessible. His singing is light yet impassioned. The lyrics cover topics like religion, angst, hatred, and empowerment. Oliver's verses and vocals on Sempiternal are easily the most memorable part of the record and genuinely make you feel something.

The instrumentals on Sempiternal are also very impressive, with the majority of tracks being fast paced and in your face. The band's hardcore punk influence can be felt on songs like The House of Wolves, Antivist, and Go to Hell, for Heaven's Sake. The guitars are very punchy and the bass is hard hitting and deep. The breakdowns on this album are powerful, effective, and never overdone to the point where they become boring. As previously mentioned, the keyboards are used tastefully and add to the overall experience of the album giving the songs that extra oomph that helps give them a lasting impression.

All-in-all, Bring Me the Horizon's fourth full length album is an extremely fun ride that, at its core, is hard hitting, memorable and features some of the most enjoyable tracks the band has ever put out. Sempiternal is a sign of a band in metamorphosis. Bring Me the Horizon obviously want to stop being referred to as "that one band the scene kiddies like" and start being recognized as a colossal force in the realm of metalcore; and I say this album is damn fine start.

Chiodos DevilThy Art Is Murder Infinite Death
Descendents Milo Goes to CollegeIwrestledabearonce Late for Nothing
The Fall of Troy DoppelgangerBetween the Buried and Me The Anatomy Of

Killerhit

MY SECREEEETS ARE BURNING A HOLE THROUGH MY HEART

AND MY BONES CATCH A FEVER

March 17th 2014

Let me know how the review is. I feel good about this one.

March 17th 2014

And also, WHEN IT CUTS YOU UP THIS DEEP IT'S HARD TO FIND A WAY TO BREAAAAAAAAAAATHE

scottpilgrim10
March 17th 2014

Antivist is catchy as hell.

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

YakNips

11964 Comments

Kony 2014

Digging: Purge. - Sewage

March 17th 2014

Middle fingers up if you don't give a fuck bro.

VermTheImpaler
March 18th 2014

Let me tell you what sucks, this

YakNips

11964 Comments

what a revolutionary statement

titanslayer
March 18th 2014

"The electronics never feel like a crutch."
This line seems out of place to me.

VermTheImpaler
March 18th 2014

m/ keep real rock alive m/

Indeed.

DreamAgain
March 18th 2014

4/5.. a rating this album deserves!

March 18th 2014

The review's good but BMTH haven't even been remotely deathcore since their first shitty album, they improved loads since then.

Digging: Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

March 18th 2014

still need to check this and their last album. From what I've heard (early stuff mostly) they've sounded horrendous

Digging: Botch - We Are the Romans

March 18th 2014

This album and their last one are their best, Suicide Season is decent and their first album is downright terrible.

March 18th 2014

I remember seeing a video for a single of this that interested me. I read Trebor's review of this and it seemed like something I could tolerate, but I would be far more interested to hear this post-rock album they've been sat on

March 18th 2014

Would that single by chance be "Shadow Moses" or another one?

KenboSlice
March 18th 2014

Sleepwalking is the best song on here

Digging: Say Anything - Hebrews

March 18th 2014

A band called "The Wild Life" made a fantastic acoustic cover of Sleepwalking, I honestly enjoy it more than the original.

March 18th 2014

either that or sleepwalking. I'll have to give those singles a listen

March 18th 2014

My favorite song off of this album is either House of Wolves or Sleepwalking probably.