Conan
Blood Eagle

by Robert Davis CONTRIBUTOR (149 Reviews)
March 15th, 2014 | 25 replies | 4,878 views

Release Date: 03/03/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Heavy caveman metal.

They are referred to by the media as “currently one of the heaviest bands in the world”, and this may or may not be because of the way in which Jon Davis, guitarist and vocalist for Liverpudlian doom metal act Conan, proudly proclaims the band to play “Heavy caveman metal”. That said, one listen to either of the band's two albums, more importantly the latest release entitled Blood Eagle, and you'll safely be confirming the band's well renowned penchant for heavy riffs and fuzzy atmosphere.

Blood Eagle, the band's second album, isn't too different from its predecessor, but it definitely marks Conan as one of the more relevant British doom metal acts formed in the last decade or so. Heaviness encompasses every one of the album's six songs, and though the sometimes mundane repetition of tracks such as opener “Crown of Talons” brings the overall quality down a bit, the instrumental performance is both powerful and overbearing to the listener. There isn't much in the way of lyrical content here but when there is, you can feel the band's passion for fantasy-related imagery and Norse mythology breaking through the music itself. The vocals are, for the most part, well-layered and mesmerizing, though thankfully don't last for any longer than a minute or so, leaving room for excessively haunting instrumental performances on songs such as the visceral “Foehammer” and its brooding successor “Gravity chasm”.

What really stands out is how the vocals intertwine with the general flow of the instrumentation, although there isn't as much diversity as some would have expected going into this album. Each song has at least a minute's worth of instrumentation before the vocals join in, and by the time the vocals arrive you should be taken in by the overall hypnotic atmosphere pushed to the forefront of the recording. Although on its own the vocal style isn't anything particularly noteworthy, it is with the crushing rhythm section where Conan work their magic. This is also where reading along to the lyrics comes in handy, as one can swiftly grasp a sense of the sort of imagery Conan have been trying to portray. Two of the three members in Conan take it upon themselves to harmonize with each other on songs such as “Total conquest” and “Horns for Teeth”, and when you can hear the soaring albeit monstrous chants of “An age of never. A time of loss. A thriving nothing. Dead at all costs.”, it's almost as if the listener is made to sing (or shout, depending on the mood) along. The rhythm section itself is also nothing particularly diverse or complex, but you can feel the power of the drum rhythms in "Foehammer" and "Gravity Chasm" breaking through, making that instrument one of the highlights of Conan's overall sound.

There isn't anything else to say about Conan's brand of so-called “Heavy caveman metal”, but it certainly will satisfy those who want nothing but the most crushing and pulverising of doom metal. Sure, other bands are a lot more diverse and original, but if you can ignore the excessive repetition and take in the heaviness fully, you can safely enjoy what Blood Eagle has to offer.

Electric Light Orchestra On the Third DayNunslaughter Angelic Dread
Blues Pills Blues PillsAlestorm Sunset on the Golden Age
Dying Fetus Killing on AdrenalineDying Fetus Purification Through Violence

March 15th 2014

Album stream for those who missed the news article:

Sorry for the shorter review than usual, but this is genuinely all I had to say about the album in as few words as possible.

March 15th 2014

These guys manage to write good music but I really wish they'd take their music to the next level. I feel like they keep writing the same album over and over besides the slight differences.

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

March 15th 2014

They've only released two albums, though I thought their musical ouput would have been more consistent that that given Conan have been together for eight years. This album for me is very decent for what it is.

March 15th 2014

I consider their ep's albums too. But that's the point. They've change little over such a large time frame. Now I'm with you, I enjoy this too. I like what they do but it's reasons like this why my attention is lost, sometimes.

March 15th 2014

Yeah can't blame you man, hopefully their next album will be something special-and released sooner rather than later.

MotokoKusanagi
March 15th 2014

damn this riffs nicely. just finished a hot shower, this is hitting the spot

greg84
March 16th 2014

Great review, Robert. The album's quite enjoyable.

Digging: Royal Blood - Royal Blood

rockandmetaljunkie
March 16th 2014

fucking amazing band and

an amazing fucking record

zaruyache
March 17th 2014

This is heavy and crunchy as butts. I dig it.

Digging: Emerald Weapon - Part II: Earth Encrypted

Acanthus
March 22nd 2014

Not as brutal as Korgoth of Barbaria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep65rr-9qjQ&list=RDyoxMiZxN-F0

Really nice review, seems like the groups bravado fits their name quite well.

summary has me interested

Kris.

Not as brutal as Korgoth of Barbaria

ugh fuck adult swim for not picking that up

this sounds interesting tho, will check out

March 22nd 2014

Conan is a doom metal band from Liverpool, England. They stylize their sound as 'CAVEMAN BATTLE DOOM '.

SharkTooth

this is some good shit

Digging: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony Is a Dead Scene

DarkNoctus

i like this a lot

Rev
March 23rd 2014

Horseback Battle Hammer was my jam a while back, will be sure to check this out

Underflow
March 23rd 2014

Was sold by the summary.

WatchItExplode

Not a Greg review.....hmmmm

Itwasthatwas
March 24th 2014

Is this for sober cavemen or drunk cavemen. This is particularly pressing concern for me.

March 24th 2014

this was ok... nothing memorable about it