Oomori Seiko
You Want To Die If You Do Not Use The Magic

by FadedSun USER (1 Reviews)
March 6th, 2014 | 16 replies

Release Date: 03/20/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Oomori Seiko's debut finds beauty in vocal imperfection within an intimate and personal setting. A powerful debut from an up and coming Japanese female artist.

Lately, there has been a lot of buzz in the Japanese underground music scene surrounding the folksy pop artist, Seiko Oomori. She's been called the "anti-idol", and with good reason. Her cutesy image, combined with a do-it-yourself attitude and imperfect vocal style seem like an outright attack on the idol genre as a whole. Though she seems to hold a deep respect for classic idol stars; even going out to mention them in her songs.

It's been a busy past couple of years for Seiko. Between 2012 and 2013 she's managed to release quite a collection, including an EP, two LPs, a live album, a DVD and even a collaboration album with the Japanese indie band Lai Lai Lai Team. All this in addition to constantly touring. It's easy to lose track of all the releases, but her potential jump into underground stardom started with her debut Mahou ga Tsukaenai Nara Shinitai. Literally translating to "You want to die if you don't use magic". It's on this album that we get an intimate look at Seiko's personality, from the almost childish, yet melancholy sounding opener "Kitty's Blues" to closing track "Mahou ga Tsukaenai Nara".

Fans of Shiina Ringo might be excited to notice the obvious homage paid to Shiina's album Shouso Strip on the album cover, but the music contained within is anything but similar. Besides two upbeat and quirky electronic numbers "Ongaku o Suteyo态Soshite Ongaku He" and "Shinjuku", the bulk of the album is filled with beautiful, intimate acoustic and piano numbers. Some album highlights include the nostalgic and upbeat "Handmade Home" , the emotional ballad "Saishuu Koen", and "I Love You" wherein Seiko seems to be wearing her heart on her sleeve.

However, the album is not without its flaws. After "I Love You" the album hits a drag with two long pieces "Kayou Kyoku" and "Kouenji " - the former being mostly piano and vocal driven, while the latter is acoustic - that could be tough to sit through, especially after the two powerful songs before them. Another barrier for new listeners to get through might be Seiko herself. She has a quirky and flawed vocal style that, for some people, could mean the difference between hate or love. Fans of Shiina Ringo or Jun Togawa, however, might feel right at home listening to Seiko.

Despite this, Seiko has managed to release a perfectly timed, yet flawed debut. Within time, some might see this as a classic album; imperfections considered, comparing it to the likes of Shiina Ringo's classic Kalk, Samen, Kuri no Hana. Time will certainly tell.

March 6th 2014

First review. Be nice. I originally had all the songs with their Japanese text, but Sputnik didn't like that, so I edited them to
their romanized versions as best I could. I really enjoy this album, despite what I think are its flaws.

sixdegrees
March 6th 2014

love her, good to see this reviewed.

Digging: 10Minimal - Aluminum World

March 6th 2014

I'm on the front page! Surreal. Pretty cool posting my first review after lurking and commenting on this site for so long.
Any feedback, positive or otherwise, is appreciated.

LizaLowe
March 6th 2014

I am gonna check this out sounds interesting. nice first review

menawati

folks-y
cutes-y

why the hyphens ?

nice review though

Digging: iamthemorning - Belighted

March 6th 2014

No need for the hyphens? I wasn't entirely sure if those were real words.

menawati
March 6th 2014

yeh folksy and cutesy are real

WashboardSuds
March 6th 2014

listened to this once but can't remember anything about it. time to revisit

March 6th 2014

Definitely listen to it again. It's a grower. Her follow up LP Zettai Shoujo has more instant gratification on first listen. I may do a review for that once I absorb it more.

March 6th 2014

that house jam with the tmj guard

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

MisterTornado
March 6th 2014

Wow, this actually got a review. I'm assuming your also a fan of Ichiko Aoba?

March 6th 2014

I felt this really needed a review, and it was time that I wrote my first.

I am recent fan of Aoba. I just found out about her the other day. I was actually going to put her in the suggested list, but
I didn't feel she quite matched up with Seiko,even though they both do folk. Aoba is more strictly folk, I think. Aoba
actually does folk better than Seiko in some regards.

MisterTornado
March 6th 2014

I'm far more into Aoba personally, nobody's doing folk that subtle and breathtaking as far as I'm concerned

Geadom
March 7th 2014

Hey FadedSun, great review, pos.

Btw, arent you posting in SRK anymore?

Geadom, thanks!

I post on SRK occasionally, but mostly in the 3S forums these days.

yea Ichiko Aoba is awesome