Issues
Issues

1.0
awful

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (87 Reviews)
February 25th, 2014 | 90 replies | 6,506 views

Release Date: 02/18/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I'm so sorry

I'm not a fan of this brand of metalcore/post-hardcore, in fact I loathe it. I look back fondly to the early to mid 2000s when core bands had actual guitar riffs, and the entire high end wasn't dominated by electronics and overproduced clean vocals. It's funny because people that were into late 90s to early 2000s core look down on the era I love the same way I look down on this era. I'm getting besides the point here, but anyway I was 99% certain I would hate this record, but I gave it the old harvard try anyway. Issues are the epitome of today's metalcore scene, they chug along with that trendy djent guitar sound, they have two singers (cuz duh, what does your band have, only one singer? loser) they use whatever electronic sounds are currently trending, and they employ borderline bubblegum pop vocal melodies. I read Alternative Press' review for this which proclaimed Issues as "the future of metalcore." Now if this is true there has to be some sort of merit here right? I feel like this is going to sound unprofessional and pretentious, but this album is simply objectively terrible. Issues have managed to craft an album that is entirely without any sort of value, appeal, artistic merit, creativity, and if this is the future of metalcore, then I am very afraid.

So apparently "the future of metalcore" can't just be metalcore, you have to throw in a bunch of trendy genres into the mix seemingly at random. Issues inject their brand of monotonous chugging with elements of R&B, hip-hop, EDM, and nu-metal, and it's almost comical the way Issues are able to fail miserably at so many different genres. Mixing Limp Bizkit esque rapping and turntables with Justin Bieber knockoff vocals, an instrumental/hip-hop/dubstep interlude, and the same, stale djenty chug riff in every single song seems like a cruel joke, and maybe Issues just picked genres out of a hat, or perhaps they made the worst album they could possibly make on a lost bet, or maybe, just maybe, Issues are post-modern geniuses who have made this album ironically as a stab at the current metalcore scene knowing damn well it could be the worst album ever and still get a four review from Alt Press and be proclaimed the future of metalcore.

Since Issues have absolutely nothing going on instrumentally, they rely on singer Tyler Carter to carry the weight. Tyler is a technically talented singer, but the overproduction added to his voice coupled with his stale, repetitive melodies and lyrics don't add up to any memorable hooks worth mentioning. Tyler Carter is essentially Johnny Craig through a computer minus the songwriting ability.

Here are some simple facts about Issues: they have as many members as Michael Jordan has rings, their guitarist doesn't realize he can use the top three strings of his guitar, nu-metal hasn't been relevant in ten years, mixing genres at random does not count as experimentation, Tyler Carter really should not rap, oh and I ***ing despise this record.

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu Pikapika FantajinBrave Bird T-Minus Grand Gesture
Old Gray/Tiny Moving Parts SplitBanner Pilot Souvenir
Carissa's Wierd Songs About LeavingAge Sixteen Open Up Finders, Please
2.7

February 25th 2014

For real though, the hangover I got from the 2 dollar wine from wal mart is indescribably bad, and it doesn't even touch this album

February 25th 2014

Although I disagree with you hard, this is a good review.
Have a spiritual pos.

funny recommended section

Digging: Secret Band - S/T

jefflebowski
February 25th 2014

any band who calls themselves 'issues' is instantly and unceremoniously dumped into my contempt-o-matic

Digging: Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

This has a 3 average

Pheromone

lol 2 pages of reviews for this

Digging: The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

February 25th 2014

Seems like a good average to me.
This is like another case of "Tony Danza" for you isn't it Treb.

February 25th 2014

"This is like another case of "Tony Danza" for you isn't it Treb."

I tried to be less ranty and actually have a point with this one though

February 25th 2014

Well, I enjoyed your Tony Danza review too. (Even though that album is a 3.5 for me) and I thought you were on point in that as well as in your Issues review, I just happen to disagree with both of your reviews on several things. It didn't seem that ranty to me.

theacademy
February 25th 2014

wow ^^ nobody gives a fuck

theacademy

pos

Monsieur
February 25th 2014

Review was one big rant, but it was a rant with credibility and accuracy. God granted me one prejudiced and I will use it toward people who genuinely like this

silentstar
February 25th 2014

>Where is everybody getting the idea that this is a 1 from? Its not a 1 damn it!

for real though

February 25th 2014

Album's a four for me. Has been ever since I heard it and I still listen to it quite a bit.

titanslayer
February 25th 2014

"this album is simply objectively terrible."
Pos'd so hard

silentstar
February 25th 2014

snide, with those standards, you're probably the most optimistic person out there

February 25th 2014

I have been described as overly optimistic by a good portion of my friends. It sure has kept me
somewhat together during some shit in my life.

titanslayer
February 25th 2014

The only reason this isn't a one for me is genisi[s] lowers the bar a bit further then this does

BigPleb
February 25th 2014

Review is a'ight but fuckin a on that rating.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion