Kashiwa Daisuke
Program Music I

by Hogan CONTRIBUTOR (40 Reviews)
February 13th, 2014 | 48 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Perfection.

I barely have words to describe it. There really was something waiting for me inside this album. It shocked me, it left me gazing anxiously at the ceiling in utter amazement. It’s been a rather perplexing goal of mine to find perfection in something. Ever since I grew up, there has always been a slight tugging at my heart; urging me to become in a sense perfect. As I grew, my dreams shattered like glass, and I began to believe that maybe nothing can be perfect. No machine, human, novel, movie, or music has ever left its mark on me as perfect. Even my favorite albums, all have flaws with them that are easily spat out and subdued. However, if there really is nothing in the music world that can be considered perfect, then Program Music 1 comes ridiculously close.

What is found musically in this two song album is the most beautiful music to ever have graced my ears. There was not a single damn moment on this entire album that did not captivate or move me in the slightest. It is like life itself was being born and then recycled in my ears. As the album begins, a piano plays a haunting tune while relapsing into torrent like sounds. But with the stroke of a single guitar, life is forced into the music. The piano dances like the wind, while the guitars serenade it like a choir. The music slowly wakes up to the sound of an electronic drum kicking in, breaking the barrier between the inanimate and the living. Within the first seven minutes, the music feeds off of its ability to tell a beautiful story through only blissful music. Nature all at once, is present. It lives, it dies, and it is reborn. The concept is mixed into the music and it could not have been accomplished better. The album ends like it begins, leaving only thoughts to tell the rest. It flows as graceful as water, blossoms extraordinarily like a flower, and cascades elegantly like snow. The music also has many breathtaking climaxes, whether it is a violin stringing together a lovely tune amidst a syncopated drum; or everything dancing together at once.

The album is a perfect blend of suspense and awe. The story is told perfectly from start to finish with the help of a perfect cast of instruments. There are no major issues I have with this entire record from start to finish. It is a one of a kind beauty, an album that has just recently grabbed ahold of my heart and will not let go. While Stella is by far the superior piece of music on the album due to sheer beauty by scope, both songs create a tranquility of resonating power that will forever be a part of me.

Gates Bloom and BreathePianos Become the Teeth Keep You
The Antlers HospiceColour and Codeine If I Die Tomorrow
St. Vincent St. VincentHave a Nice Life The Unnatural World
4.4
Vrid (5)
Ett postmodernistiskt uttalande....

Eli EMERITUS (5)
A sprawling, yet meticulously crafted masterpiece....

Tyler Fisher EMERITUS (4.5)
With an album that blows World's End Girlfriend and all of his Japanese contemporaries out of the wa...

9 Songs

Re:

5 Dec.

February 12th 2014

A quick little review on what is now close to one of my favorite albums ever. Kinda makes me wonder why it took me so long to check out. But please, do yourself a favor and listen to stella if you haven't,

February 12th 2014

You will be doing yourself a favor! Haha

Xed
February 12th 2014

have any of you even heard brian eno

sixdegrees

relevant

GhettoHmbrglr
February 12th 2014

haven't listened to this in forever. good choice. good review.

Necrotica

Best album ever :D

February 13th 2014

Thanks ghetto! And yeah it kinda is five leaves.

20068 Comments

Sweet review man, might have to check this out

Digging: Circa Survive - Descensus

Keyblade

Stella is goat

Digging: Insides - Euphoria

February 13th 2014

Do it man, it's post rock/neoclassical, but it's just so damn pretty

GhettoHmbrglr

@sixdegrees

so pretty! pretty sure i added that album to the database. love it. even tried reviewing it but my words didn't do it justice so i gave it up..

tommygun

nice hoges

Digging: Banks - Goddess

Thanks tommy!

Necrotica
February 13th 2014

Great review by the way, short and sweet.

AnimalsAsSummit
February 13th 2014

yep. some of the most emotional moments in music rite hurr

Digging: Ott - Skylon

February 13th 2014

Thanks man, means a lot! And yeah, this is emotional as hell at some points.

avonbarksdale221
February 13th 2014

Great review, and congrats on a much deserved promotion. Beautiful album.

February 13th 2014

Thanks a lot avon! And yes, this album is basically the definition of beautiful.

avonbarksdale221
February 13th 2014

The climaxes in Stella at around 22 and 25 minutes (off the top of my head) are almost unparalleled in all of music. Stunning.

elbaliem