Fanfarlo
Let's Go Extinct

by Davey Boy STAFF
February 13th, 2014 | 42 replies

Release Date: 02/10/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: From celestial synths to majestic brass, gorgeous melodies are everywhere.

Whether it be due to the growing patience that comes with maturity, or easier access to music, it feels like a decade since I have been genuinely excited for a new release. “I’ll listen to it in a couple of weeks” could be plastered on one of my QuickButton keys, such has been my indifference towards listening to an album as soon as it hits the digital shelves. And while the marketing hyperbole of press releases has long since been dispatched to the “Ignore” portion of my mind, I couldn’t help but feel some kind of positive anticipatory sensation when reading the promo for Fanfarlo’s third LP ‘Let’s Go Extinct’. “Having cast off the colder, more synthetic feel of their second record”, the blurb stated that “in many ways, (this is) the true successor to the band’s much-feted debut ‘Reservoir’”. Since the gloriously breath-taking ‘Reservoir’ was one of my albums of 2009, I couldn’t wait to lay ears on ‘Let’s Go Extinct’.

Far from retreating to the indie-folk influences of their debut, ‘Let’s Go Extinct’ is more a sensible merging of the two styles which the London-based chamber-pop quintet has previously showcased. What is such a pleasantly impressive surprise on this David Wrench co-produced album, however, is how seamless this blend has been performed. From the celestial synths and majestic brass & woodwind combination of 6 minute opener ‘Life in the Sky’, to the ‘Reflektor’-like new-wave and disco influences of lead single ‘A Distance’, Fanfarlo make excellent use of their multi-instrumentalists to envelop the auditory senses without ever overwhelming them. Elsewhere, everything from soothing clarinet to soaring strings enter proceedings, while – as can be heard on the rhythm-heavy second single ‘Landlocked’ - the guitar, bass and drum foundations are suitably sturdy.

Also – and more worryingly – included on the aforementioned press release was a reference to ‘Let’s Go Extinct’ being “a concept album about human evolution and possible futures”. While lyrics such as “We’re standing in the way of ourselves, the world will go on without us and the dust will rearrange itself again” will result in as many eye-rolls as intriguing dissections, it is thankfully delivered in a fashion which is more buoyant than pretentious. Swede Simon Balthazar once more recalls Arcade Fire’s Win Butler; his elegantly dulcet voice rarely failing to engage, even if he could do with varying his tone a little more frequently – as can be heard on the keys-driven catchy chorus of ‘Cell Song’. To that end, the boy/girl dynamic occasionally created by backing vocalist Cathy Lucas is a welcome addition, if a little too under-utilized.

So, while ‘Let’s Go Extinct’ clearly bests the ambitious reinvention of predecessor ‘Rooms Filled With Light’, does it match up to their superb debut? Ultimately; “no”. This 47 minute album relies a little too much on one tempo, with moments such as the explosive horn-led climax of ‘Painting With Life’ being too few and far between. While very consistent, the tunes could also do with more immediacy, falling short of the individual heights needed to take the record to the next level. It’s a real shame too, because this overlooked ensemble deserves to be right up there with music’s heavy-hitters. Of course, such nit-picking goes hand-in-hand with eager anticipation, and should in no way lead to such a meticulously arranged LP being disregarded. Gorgeous melodies are ubiquitous, and seemingly every moment has been carefully crafted with immaculate attention to detail. Such intricacies – some subtle and some grandiose – should only serve to enhance the album’s replay value, hopefully rendering Fanfarlo’s future anything but extinct.

Recommended Tracks: Life in the Sky, Cell Song, Painting With Life & We’re The Future.

Emmure Eternal EnemiesThe Pretty Reckless Going to Hell
Broods BroodsThe Jezabels The Brink
Abandon All Ships MalocchioYou Me At Six Cavalier Youth

20857 Comments

Please forgive the I’s, me’s & my’s… I need to indulge every so often.

Band needs more love. So very talented. If you have yet to do so, please listen to their debut ‘Reservoir’.

The highlights are very difficult to determine on this album, as it’s such an even bunch. ‘Life in the Sky’ was probably my 4th favourite track just hours before I posted this review. At the very least, it’s probably the most representative tune on the album… So SoundCloud away (above) & see what you think.

tommygun

nice piece davey

agreed hard with first paragraph

unusually small recommended by reviewer section for you though, no?

♥♥♥

20857 Comments

Thanks Tommy. nd I'm glad the intro to this review came over well, because I wasn't quite sure how it would,

And patience, dear boy, patience. I can't put all 10 up at once.

February 12th 2014

I put up ten for my review today, thug life

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

20857 Comments

My influence is far-reaching, Davey life.

February 13th 2014

Lovely review DaveyBoy. I gave this a quick sample listen via itunes and dismissed it, but perhaps a real listen is what it needs.

Digging: Zella Day - Zella Day

Lovely comment SS.

I'm not totally familiar with iTunes samples, but if they are those 30 second snippets, then they could be very misleading for this album. It's not super immediate & wouldn't suit such samples.

TheSupernatural

Oooh an embedding

Digging: Closure in Moscow - Pink Lemonade

20857 Comments

More motivation for people to become staff.

Dunpeal
February 13th 2014

is the concern that reg users would misuse the embed feature? such as maybe embedding illegal content?

that's probably a legit concern actually

20857 Comments

Users misuse anything around here? Never!

StrangerofSorts

How like the Sea is it? Because that EP was fucking awesome

20857 Comments

Been waiting for you to drop in Jonny.

Umm, I found 'The Sea' EP good, but a little all over the place tbh... So that's a difficult question to answer. While 'A Distance' is the only track from there on here, it's not indicative of the album. I recommend you take a listen to the above Soundcloud track, which is.

Tyrael

20901 Comments

Interesting

this sounds like it would be right up my alley

20857 Comments

Thomas, I wouldn't know what was up your alley. And I don't want to know.

Tyrael

20901 Comments

Best puns AUS

20857 Comments

Gold Medal winner... Why isn't it an Olympic sport damn it?

But seriously, I'm unsure whether you will like this or not. I lost track of your tastes a while back.

February 13th 2014

So I drop from the rank of staff and suddenly they allow embedding? I see how it is.

And yeah they were like one minute samples. It sounded annoyingly synthy. But if Davey says it's good then it must be so.

StrangerofSorts
February 13th 2014

Soundcloud track seems pretty decent, I guess I'll have to check this out (as if I wasn't going to anyway). Fanfarlo are slowly forcing me to forgive them for their 2nd LP...

It's sad they're not going the Witchi Tai To route. I really thought they'd hit on something with that cover.

ExcentrifugalForz
February 13th 2014

band gets a listen just cause the cool album cover