Les Claypool's Duo de Twang
Four Foot Shack

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
February 12th, 2014 | 19 replies | 1,961 views

Release Date: 02/04/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Twangin' and stompin' down the dirt road to new-found inspiration.

Les Claypool has been in more one-off and dead-end side projects that anyone should care about, so it should be clarified that his “Duo de Twang” is his “fuck-off vacation band” with only high school buddy Bryan Kehoe assisting him, and that the duo’s debut Four Foot Shack does not consist of forgettable new material that Claypool could churn out by himself while in a slumber. Emphasis needs to be put on the fact that this is not only the closest thing we will get to both a genuine Les Claypool solo album (“solo” meaning with as little outside members contributing as possible) and a Les Claypool acoustic album, but also material that finally proves to be in sharp contrast to his signature Primus-esque bizarreness. With all that being noted, it figures that it took stripping down and pushing away most of everything from his sound and amplifying his bass-playing prowess more than ever to accomplish this new-found distinction in sound from Primus. Four Foot Shack doesn’t even contain new material either, it’s an album full of Americana, freak-folk, and bluegrass reinterpretations of song selections from across his vast outings with side-bands and group experiments. A benefit that can be derived from this for any Primus fan or newcomer is that the album acts as sort of a revisiting tour that touches briefly on every effort Claypool took part in outside of Primus, but what’s most important about this album is that you can be assured it’s the funkiest goddamn faux-country you will ever hear.

Claypool’s eccentric and quirky weirdness has never felt this exposed under these bare sound conditions, and that sort of elevates his persona to a Tom Waits level of presence in that he feels much more front and center without the addition of electric guitars or drums. The really outstanding aspect of Four Foot Shack, however, is that Claypool’s bass-playing hasn’t sounded this good in years. Without any production behind it, the acoustic renditions of these bass lines sound far more raw, grimy, organic, and the licks pulsate with this rustic and stinging tone. There’s really no better showcase for Claypool’s incredibly natural finesse as a bassist, and the unplugged chemistry he shows with Kehoe’s southern-styled guitar wails is much more dynamic than his past meshes that amounted to mixed results. In conclusion, it’s not only interesting to see Claypool capitalize on the southern inspiration that he only offered glimpses at in the past, but it’s also a good thing for fans that these once unremarkable cuts now have unique and inspired new life breathed into them. Sometimes, “less is more” is the only philosophy one needs to go by to reveal a cool new angle to things, and Four Foot Shack is great proof of that.

Periphery ClearNickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1
Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2Active Child Rapor
Justin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2Dave Porter Breaking Bad, Vol. 2

breakingthefragile
February 12th 2014

2 big paragraphs I'm rolling with the cool cats. This is the most entertaining bluegrass-ish thing you'll hear probably all this year, and the only Claypool material worth checking out that's not Primus.

Digging: The Blood of Heroes - The Blood Of Heroes

tempest--

hey C2B3 is pretty cool

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

breakingthefragile
February 12th 2014

Yeah, mostly due to Buckethead setting it apart from the rest though, but I suppose that makes it worth digging.

greg84
February 12th 2014

Les Claypool's awesome. I may check it out. The last Primus LP was great.

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

HenchmanOfSanta
February 12th 2014

The Frog Brigade discography is better than this, as is Of Whales and Woe.

I like the novelty of this album but 56 minutes straight is just kind of a slog.

Digging: Afflicted - Prodigal Sun

TheSpirit
February 12th 2014

Great review. I've always respected Claypool but his style usually isn't really for me. I'll be interested to hear his work in a more "traditional" context

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

February 12th 2014

Not really my sort of thing, but I did enjoy this.

SirDrumsalot

This is pretty cool.
Man in the Box is sweet.

February 12th 2014

New Primus would be nice....

SirDrumsalot
February 12th 2014

New Primus with Tim Alexander!

PostMesmeric
February 12th 2014

I dig the new version of "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver." Very upbeat.

menawati

this is fun

Digging: Nemrud - Journey of the Shaman

menawati

got a beefheart vibe in places

ExcentrifugalForz
February 12th 2014

Claypool always has at least decent material.
I'll keep an eye out for this.

Digging: Renaissance - Grandine il Vento

TWIGtheWONDERKID
February 18th 2014

The album has a big sound for just two guys playing--plus they are having so much fun.

Digging: The Auteurs - New Wave

linguist2011
March 6th 2014

Really fun album to kick back and listen to, so many of these songs are simply catchy. And those cover versions of "Stayin' alive" and "Main in the box" are nearly flawless.

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

Ovrot
May 24th 2014

Man in the Box cover is legit

May 25th 2014

got a beefheart vibe in places

I can hear that

Butkuiss
June 21st 2014

It's been a good year for the modern gothic alt-country/bluegrass/americana revival.