Soilwork
The Living Infinite

by HeavyReviews USER (3 Reviews)
February 1st, 2014 | 18 replies | 720 views

Release Date: 03/05/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: When the band seemed creatively dead, comes the masterpiece that is "The Living Infinite". Most of the fans were expecting something good, little did they now what would come was simply supberb.

Melodeath pioneers, Soilwork, have been arround for a long time on the scene. They made you notice them back in the late 90's, early 00's with releases that are, in my opinion, timeless. From the shattering aggression of "Chainheart Machine", to the eargasming melodies of "Natural Born Chaos", these guys have done it all.

But, in late 03' they decided to venture off to other sounds, and achieved a very unnoriginal industrial tone, which they kept for several albums. The last two, though, broke out from that but still had a very generic metalcore tonality to it. Sure, the songs are very good, but it is far from original, like NBC was.

Now, a double album full of interesting, different and creative songs, with incredibly big and epic choruses and mild, agressive melodic riffs. The album has it all: from the slow ballads ("antidotes in passing") to the bluesy type riff with fast tempos ( "leech, realm of the wasted") that somehow are able to be harmonic and melodic, despite all that agressivness. That means the songs carry enough breathing space, with carefully placed bridges.

The tunes are crafted in a methodic, but sometimes formulaic way. But the fomula works, that's what matters most. If something is able to function well, that something is doing it right. I listened to this album countless times in a row, and I still come back to it every week. The infectious aspect to the songs are what keeps you going back.

All in all this is a perfect five stars. There is nothing that they did wrong this this one, and I can't wait for their next effort. Hopefully, they won't disapoint, and hopefully, it won't take long.

Trey Spencer STAFF (4.3)
The loss of Peter Wichers and an attempt at a double album? All the pieces were in place for a total...

Jacquibim CONTRIBUTOR (4)
Soilwork set a nigh-impossible goal for themselves, yet fulfill their ambitions with consummate ease...

KJ (4.5)
Not only is there a faint pulse, the proverbial heart is furiously pumping....

Brostep
February 1st 2014

Welcome to Sputnik! Would you like some constructive criticism on your review?

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

February 1st 2014

definetly. Although I do this for "sport" and English is not my native language. ;)

Toondude10
February 1st 2014

Might as well just say this, but don't post three reviews in one day. It makes your reputation look bad and people might think that you rushed everything.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but just keep that in mind.

Digging: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas...

February 1st 2014

Yes, I noticed I over did it. I did one yesterday, and got a litle bit excited LOL. thanks for the advice. I'll delete one

February 1st 2014

I have a hard time believing this is a five

February 1st 2014

Have you heard it? Maybe it's me and my obsession with the record. I listened it to it 300 times acording to 2013 spotify's records.

February 1st 2014

The only record I heard by them was stabbing the drama. I liked it but I never found time to listen to their other stuff

February 1st 2014

yup, stabbing is the complete opposite of this, as I stated on the review. In that album, they took a turn in sound: pursued industrial sounding.

Give it a listen, if you are interested in really melodic, really good melodic death metal.

When I have time I'll check it out

Toondude10
February 1st 2014

Well I might as well say this. It's a really long album. Good thing it's in two parts :P

Brostep

Hey, sorry, I've been busy today. Anyways, some brief feedback:

First of all, there are some words in here - "sirurgic" especially - that don't make sense. You might want to fix those.

Second, it's clear that English isn't your first language, and it's admirable that you're making an effort here. There are some cleanups I'd suggest here and there, like "abe" and "disapoint" but it's not bad.

paradox1216
February 2nd 2014

not bad for someone who doesn't primarily speak english. keep trying man!

This is a great album, idk about a 5 but it's up there

Digging: Save Us From The Archon - Thereafter

Darkwatch025
February 2nd 2014

Stabbing the Drama is the best overall Soilwork record in my opinion.

FrozenVain
February 2nd 2014

"Stabbing the Drama is the best overall Soilwork record in my opinion. "

*vomits*

artiswar
February 2nd 2014

I just can't get into this album... There's nothing overtly wrong with it, it just all blends into one long melodic mid-tempo trudge. There's almost no tempo changes on this album, and no aggression whatsoever. It's just a boring direction for the band to take.

zaruyache
February 2nd 2014

Either way it's still a set-up from what they were doing before.

Digging: Paramnesia - Paramnesia

February 2nd 2014

" long melodic mid-tempo trudge. There's almost no tempo changes on this album"

Translation: You didn't hear the album. here's a list of the tempos of every song.

220, 200, 170, 150, 100. 200, 180, 140, 120, 180, 240, 100, 60

This in no particular order.

artiswar
February 2nd 2014

Sure, you can point to like 3 songs out of 20 that switch the tempo up, that doesn't change the fact that almost every song has the same soaring interchangeable chorus that hits the same notes every time. With an album that feels like 2 hours you'd think there'd be a bit more variety. The guitar melodies are pretty well written and the musicianship is tight especially on the instrumentals, but the whole affair feels too soft with no edge and the hooks fall short compared to their better work. I'm glad somebody liked it though.