Have a Nice Life
The Unnatural World

by Eli EMERITUS
January 30th, 2014 | 539 replies

Release Date: 02/01/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not quite the earth mover that was "Deathconsciousness," but Have a Nice Life's long awaited second record is a logical next step and a worthwhile listen nonetheless.

Beginning an album review by discussing a band’s previous work is trite at best; a needlessly convenient way to lead into a meatier discussion. In the case of Have a Nice Life, however, it is absolutely necessary. Deathconsciousness isn’t an album that can just be swept under a rug, cowed down for its successor. No, Deathconsciouness is an album that one could talk about endlessly, mining its corridors and perplexing twists and turns all the while becoming lost time and time again. In a way Have a Nice Life is the very album that they’ve become known for. Starting out as a bedroom project between two men, Dan Barret and Tim Macuga, the band quickly evolved into something much more profound. Drawing inspiration from acts that run the gamut, Have a Nice Life come across as an amalgam of My Bloody Valentine’s fuzziest tones, Nine Inch Nail’s most angst ridden noises, and the sublime essence of Joy Division. Add a twinge of black metal and set it against a drone background and you just about have all that is Have a Nice Life. With such a signature, refreshing sound, it should come as no surprised that their sophomore record comes hotly anticipated.

The Unnatural Worldcame as both a surprise and completely expected. With rumors of a three hour record circulating for months, the band had finally blown the lid off, so to speak, of the must gestating work. But when the mere 50 minute album finally dropped, it became readily apparent that this was a different beast entirely. Where Deathconsciousness trudged along like moving earth, The Unnatural World moves with absolute deliberate focus. Existing almost as a straightforward post-punk experience, the record is oddly benign. While still holding steadfastly to their aggressive acoustic sensibilities, HANL have concentrated every influence heard throughout their relatively meager discography. Songs like “Burial Society” still have a lo-fi, ethereal quality to them, yet feature a more scathing tone a la “Waiting for Black Metal Record.” It’s compact but still holds the same uneasy aura that made the band so beloved.

Truth be told, The Unnatural World just makes a lot more sense. It’s undeniably better written-everything flows more naturally and the production is cleaner but still loveably murky. But one cannot help but feel that the duo have become, let’s say, domesticated. The crackling drones that unexpectedly led to dramatic outbursts are all but gone here. Even the moments of beautiful ambience have lost their bite. It’s HANL collared and groomed. And honestly, it just doesn’t feel quite as profound. That sense of organic discovery is completely lost when everything falls into place so perfectly. None of the record’s eight tracks blend together seamlessly, or complement each other in any way. This is an album with absolute structure with punctuated and logical breaks that separates the work into digestible and agreeable pieces. As a sensible album it works wonderfully. As a HANL creation, it feels stunted.

“Guggenheim Wax Museum” begins the record much in the way “A Quick One Before The Eternal” did all those years ago. Mired in lo-fi fuzz it acts as soft introduction. Unlike the latter of the two, this opener is not content with droning along, as about halfway through it collapses into a guitar feedback driven melody. This is emblematic of The Unnatural World as a whole. Everything has much more purpose than before. Songs that were once aimless have transformed into thunderous and dark anthems that rock along. The back to back “Defenestration Song” and “The Burial Society” highlight the deliberate pace that the record takes. It is like “Woe Onto Us” cleaned up, with simplistic guitar tones leading the band like a carrot on a string. But HANL still happen to surprise, as the unsettling “Cropsey” sounds abyssal in its dark delivery. Yet when “Emptiness Will Eat the Witch” final enters it comes like a breath of fresh air. The simple track is haunting, but completely light in its approach. Soft guitar and hollowed out voices accent the ambience that comes to the forefront. It’s an odd way to end it all as it ignores much of the dark chaos that precedes it.

The Unnatural World, as stated previously, makes a lot of sense both as an album and as a next step for the band. It sounds stunning, retaining the dark and impermeable atmosphere that HANL has become known for. It’s hazy and mysterious, still sounding like a stumbled upon bedroom project gone beautifully awry. The songs are much more defined and the record as a whole is monumentally more welcoming. The Unnatural World is the punk rock ethos of Deathconsciousness coming into its own and it feels really good to hear. New comers to the underground darlings will find quite a lot to love here. But longtime fans-those who fell madly in love reading every line Jean-Paul Marat’s story-will bemoan the lack of everything that made HANL’s debut such a marvel. It’s unwieldy and peculiar delivery is still there, but buffered and polished. At the end of the day, however, it’s difficult to complain when it all sounds so wondrously well composed.

RATING: 3.7

Antemasque AntemasqueGrouper Ruins
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Bradley Harris (4.5)
A great industrial/drone album that serves as the logical follow up to 'Deathconsciousness'...

Hogan CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
And the dead sing in unison, a harmony radiating with life....

Aziz STAFF (4.1)
Ashes, ashes, we all fall down....

Wadlez

Good review and rating

Havey

stop

Crawl
January 30th 2014

lacks the pretentiousness of the debut

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

hogan900
January 30th 2014

Although I milidly disagree with you, this is still an awesome review.

ShitsofRain

nice summary

itchybutthole
January 30th 2014

pos´d. the rating makes me sad tho

Digging: Futures - 21st Century Chimney Sweep

robin
January 30th 2014

took me a while to come around to this but i adore it. 2nd half rocks my worlddddddd

treeqt.

neg

Digging: Alisa Weilerstein - Solo

Calc
January 30th 2014

"Beginning an album review by discussing a band’s previous work is trite at best; a needlessly convenient way to lead into a meatier discussion."

I'm glad you said this.

Digging: Mr. Oizo - The Church

robin
January 30th 2014

eli why are you even emeritus

January 30th 2014

I'm trying to transcend to godhood

Omaha

you're one to talk, Robin ;]

sniper

19080 Comments

this is absolutely everything that i hoped it would be. maybe it isn't as good as deathcon, but at the same time it is leaps and bounds more mature and self-assured. deathconsciousness always kind of felt haphazard (still brilliant though), this is more direct.

i love this album.

January 30th 2014

I agree for the most part. Like I said it is a better record but it's just missing something.

January 30th 2014

WHAT? And you've been on Sputnik for how long??

Well Deathconsciousness was all anyone was talking about when I joined, and that being their first of two albums, I'd start their. It's one of those albums that really hits you or doesn't at all. Like I said in the review it's all over the place but it's a god damn immense listen.

Omaha
January 30th 2014

maybe i've been spending too much time in the wrong places on here =/

sounds good man, i'll let you know.

Iluvatar
January 30th 2014

The pun in the summary made me vomit

EyesWideShut
January 30th 2014

I think the only thing missing is one or two of those "Earthmover" epics. Considering about half the album was already out for years, they did a great job making them sound fresh.. I actually prefer the swirling-dreamy atmosphere of this over the dry one of Deathconsciousness.

climactic

19838 Comments

The Unnatural Worldcame

second para, first line, needs a space

Electric City
January 30th 2014

eli can you not rate 3.7?