Megadeth
Rust in Peace

by korgultheterminator USER (7 Reviews)
January 30th, 2014 | 20 replies

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Something like musical divinity

Dave Mustaine and co. may have become a joke, or even worse, as of late. Some may say fans such as myself are living off nostalgia and days gone by more so than a bright, musical future. If you say this, you wouldn't be wrong. Megadeth's best musical days are almost certainly in their rearview mirrror, and the pumped out dross that has become commonplace for them, (Super Collider, Risk, etc), is not surprising for a band 30 years into their career. But for the time, "Rust In Peace" is and will always be an absolute landmark metal album. Countless accolades have accosted this album in the 24 years since it was first released, as have a fair number of dejectors. As a stand alone thrash metal album, it's head and shoulders above most if not all of the thrash released at the turn of the decade. With the addition of virtuouso Marty Friedman, this album is absolutely one you must hear before you die.

The guitar work on this album is among the best in metal history, with so many classic riffs spread across the nine tracks. "Holy Wars", "Tornado of Souls", "Hangar 18", and "Rust In Peace...Polaris", are absolute benchmark thrash metal tracks, with their legacy attesting to that. Marty Friedman was in the band for nearly a decade, yet still, his best work with Megadeth is on this album. Mustaine's rhythm guitar is essential to the driving, searing feeling these riffs give off, as the near constant strike of the riff is unceasing.

The obvious political and social overtones are not lost on the listener, as five world leaders are sat behind some sort of alien testing device. Megadeth is at their best when writing songs that are snarkily denoting higher superiority, be it world leaders or contemporaries. The common theme of "Rust In Peace" is akin to that of "Peace Sells", clearly stating that the world is headed toward a nuclear tumble, and we would all rust in peace if the leaders of this planet didn't stop doing what they were. Dave Mustaine, now much more eccentric and controversial in his beliefs, was always heavily interested in politics and government, and at his prime this worked amazingly well to his advantage. Even as far as "Endgame", which is arguably their best album of the post-1994 era. The songs are catchy, nasty, and have a message. That's what makes a good song.

In summation, "Rust In Peace" is almost always mentioned as an absolute classic, almost ad nauseam. If subjectivity in listening is such a thing, my views on this album may be slightly more biased as it opened the floodgates of heavy metal for me. I remember purchasing the CD as a naive 16 year old, and realizing two tracks in this was by far one of the greatest things I had ever heard. If more people than me can have an experience like that from this very album, than my deduction that it's as classic and timeless as it is certainly stands.

Voivod RrroooaaarrrMegadeth Killing Is My Business...
Slayer Seasons in the AbyssSlayer South of Heaven
Slayer Reign in BloodSlayer Hell Awaits
4.6

dannyboy89
January 30th 2014

Unusual approach, but since this album already has quite a few 5 reviews, it doesn't hurt to use a new angle. I pos'd on those grounds.

However, I like Peace Sells more.

facupm
January 30th 2014

this is the best megadeth album

January 30th 2014

Review is a bit short and avoiding detail, but nonetheless informative. Have a pos.

Funny thing, this album opened the floodgates of metal for me as well. Nothing can match my initial reaction of listening to Tornado of Souls for the first time. To this day, I still regard it as Megadeth's best song (as well as among the best metal songs overall), as well as the one song that forever turned me to metal.
Since I've heard Rust in Peace, I have been on the look for metal music that is able to replicate that same "high" I experienced when hearing it for the first time. Few albums have managed to match it.

DominionMM1
January 30th 2014

thank you. another review for this was sorely needed.

Digging: Dr. John - Gris-Gris

sapient
January 30th 2014

I'd feel more compelled to 5 this if it weren't for the title track being a weak closer... Literally the rest of the album is pure perfection

Digging: Cal Chuchesta - Cocoa

19078 Comments

dat first sentence

sapient
January 30th 2014

I mean, he's got a point

Check out these guys' cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWW7AbA1eME
The mastering is much fuller and more powerful, without it sounding overproduced. If Megadeth had employed similar mastering for this album, it would have been even better.

Alastor

Another reason: Dave Mustaine

facupm
January 30th 2014

dude how can title track be a weak closer youre kiddin

January 30th 2014

title track slays, agreed. Mustaine had originally written that riff back in the early eighties. He later showed it to some band who repayed him by ripping him off:

Necrotica
January 30th 2014

"Lately I've been thinking about possible reasons to dislike this album. I couldn't come up with many, but there is one legitimate criticism which I can accept, and it's the production. It's a bit dry and thin."

The vocals are another factor for some, as with any Megadeth record. I'm fine with Dave's vocals, but I know quite a bit of people who aren't

tru tru

God mode

emprorzurg
January 31st 2014

Not too bad a review, but did this really need another one?

miketunneyiscool123
September 21st 2014

I like the remastered version, vocals particularly, but the original is far better.