His Hero Is Gone

by robin EMERITUS
January 29th, 2014 | 22 replies | 2,089 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I also enjoy the drumming

I am not hearing it right, because Fifteen Counts of Arson is so not a pyjamas record. I actually feel guilty about the way I listen to it – the vantage point is my bed, or my feeble and deservedly broken desk-chair. The pathetic fallacy is totally off, or non-existent, the record subordinate to a crisply cold but all too posi Leeds day. A day that people actually shower for – a day people go to lectures in. There is light, and too much of it; I am waking up to it. I open the curtains and listen. For most of late 2013, His Hero Is Gone were my idea of breakfast.

I guess when you get more into hardcore you stop caring about these things. Genre becomes a routine or a pleasure rather than an event. You can put on punk records whenever and yawn through them and sip coffee – not that I drink hot drinks, but romantically I like the idea of it – happy for the company. I fondly remember Sputnik staffer Lewis Parry saying he takes naps to Modern Life Is War’s Witness, because the modulations were few and the sound had an almost lullaby quality to it. It shouldn’t be a record that submits to its listener, but it’s kind of wonderful it does. Fifteen Counts of Arson shook me awake a few times last year, being the first record to draw me into crust punk – that atmosphere, those tones, and the riffs, protected from every other punk sub-genre in this weird fortress of hate – but also seemed to be there politely and fashionably. I left it on when I had to go put washing on or buy a drink from the cornershop; I came back into my room and “Raindance”, that monolithic fucking event of a song, was playing. Nice. Of course, if you want an actual review rather than a short story about why I need to stop waking up at midday and eating breakfast at lunch, Fifteen Counts of Arson is ferocious and anti-consumerist, embittered by its politics, separates its ideologies with interludes of ambience and piano, and has song titles like “Internally Bleeding”. I also consider it a bit of a masterpiece, when I wake up in time. Which is like three times a week.

Superchunk I Hate MusicThe Weakerthans Reconstruction Site
The Waterboys This Is the SeaOwen At Home With Owen
Times New Viking Dancer EquiredDavid Bowie The Next Day
4.2

Electric City
January 29th 2014

"not that I drink hot drinks, but romantically I like the idea of it"

fuck

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

XingKing

[2]

January 29th 2014

pretty sure i stole that "romantically" line from louis ck's thing about wanting to be a drunk

Brostep
January 29th 2014

Fifteen Counts of Arson is ferocious and anti-consumerist, embittered by its politics and separates its ideologies

Brostep
January 29th 2014

also if you have any say in the staff promotions please don't let the fact that I hate good music affect my chances (unrelated, haven't listened to this but I may now)

InfamousGrouse

check monuments

Digging: Jackson C. Frank - Jackson C. Frank

XingKing
January 29th 2014

Monuments is best but everything they released was fantastic

kingsoby1

good album

Athom
January 29th 2014

jesus christ you're on a roll

Athom
January 29th 2014

write a novel or something. i could read your gently meandering prose for hours.

Electric City

MO
January 29th 2014

whoa redsky with the name change

spookynewghostfriend

cool

Omaha
January 29th 2014

Hi, just wanted to let you know we have this policy on SputnikMusic where we only let users post one review to the front page at a time. Since you're new to these parts, this time's no biggie- next time, just wait 'til that most recent review slides off the front page and post away.

Haven't seen you around before, but excited to see more from you man. Contributor applications are coming up soon, too- may want to apply and see what happens

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

check monuments

love that record, it's def better. just got the bond with this one you know. vengeance by tragedy is my fave anyway

silentstar
January 29th 2014

Omaha going hard with the sarcasm

InfamousGrouse
January 29th 2014

I should really re-listen; I recall there being a real chasm in overall quality between Monuments and this

Do you dig From Ashes Rise?

January 29th 2014

i dig them. not really had a full listen yet but i have a couple of records of theirs

tommygun