Iskald

by Magnus Altkula STAFF
January 19th, 2014 | 23 replies

Release Date: 01/14/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One direct hit in six tries

Nedom Og Nord suffers greatly from the classic case of one song overshadowing the rest of the album. Its title track, which concludes the album in fittingly epic fashion, is a wonderfully wrought song that any melodic black metal band would be proud to have on their album. It twists and turns delightfully during its near 10-minute run-time, showcasing stellar songwriting and memorable melodies. One of those two elements is also present on the rest of the album, while the other isn’t. Simon Larsen and Aage Krekling, who make up the core of Iskald, obviously have songwriting chops from a purely technical standpoint, since all the tracks here have plenty of varying guitar parts in them and structurally the songs never succumb to repetition. The trouble is, the album doesn’t leave an indelible impression in any way. It lacks gripping melodies and an absorbing atmosphere – the selling points of most successful melodic black metal bands – due to which the songs all melt together into this adequate, yet samey and ultimately passable affair. Nedom Og Nord lacks a character, which a release of this kind must have: despite "A Fading Horizon" being a decent opener and setting the scene for greater things to come, the album doesn’t manage to break out of its shell until the very last song kicks in, and by that point it’s already too late. The rest of the record isn’t bad, but it’s also nothing eye-catching and fails to truly excite. Nedom Og Nord doesn’t tingle the senses in any special way and it isn’t as cold-sounding as it should be to evoke rich winter-themed imagery. It is just an okay melodic black metal album, one with solid musicianship, but without a true selling point. There are good parts to be found in the whole – the title track is great, you can actually hear the bass at times, and instead of relying on a handful of go-to riffs the album features a multitude of them in each song – but the whole as an entity is nothing to write home about.

Atrum Tempestas NeantEluveitie Origins
MiXE1 Starlit SkinDoom:VS Earthless
Nocturnal Breed Napalm NightsThyrien Hymns of the Mortals - Songs from the North
good

January 19th 2014

For those who want to try this:

"A Fading Horizon": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6xzzBm1J44

"Nidingsdåd": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixxRU33-FuU

"Nedom Og Nord": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGfmZpevDs4

Omaha
January 19th 2014

the whole as an entity is nothing to write home about.

Which is why you just wrote long enough to maybe get to the gas station ten minutes down the road, eh? ;]

Good review, though. You do a nice job with brevity.

You got me!

And thanks man, I used to be a constant 4-5 paragraph guy but for the last two or so years I've been trying out different, usually shorter formats, because I think I'm more effective with those. I'm glad to hear I can pull them off haha.

Omaha
January 19th 2014

Sometimes there aren't too many points to make, so I feel you there. I may write less for my next review, just to see how it feels.

January 19th 2014

Sometimes there aren't too many points to make
Basically, yeah.

And as a reader my own preferences depend on the situation/my mood when it comes to reviews. Shorter ones are good for when I just want to get a quick overview of something, but longer pieces are also great if written in a compelling way, especially if I'm familiar with the album in question.

Ending

1919 Comments

Sounds wonderfully boring. I'll skip this. But are any of their other albums worth a listen?

January 19th 2014

This is the first experience I've had with this band - hence why I didn't make any references to their earlier output - but people here seemed to dig that Revelations of Reckoning Day album they have.

It's up on soundcloud, so give it a go if you want: https://soundcloud.com/iskaldofficial

Voivod
January 19th 2014

Short but informative review, mindpos.

May jam this sometime soon.

Digging: Madred - Supersonic Brainfuck Overdrive

Tyrael

20946 Comments

:[

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

Ending

1919 Comments

@Metalstyles

I'll check it out. Maybe the songwriting you speak of in the title track is more evident in earlier releases.

January 19th 2014

Yeah, give it a go, it may be an excellent album for all I know.

@Ty
You should still check this out. If I remember correctly then you liked these guys, so this might do more for you than it did for me.

Thanks Voivod, and if you do, let me know what you thought of it. I'm always interested in your opinions.

20077 Comments

Good review. Really digging atmospheric bm lately so I'll at least check the title track and see what I think

Digging: Circa Survive - Descensus

osmark86
January 20th 2014

basically what atari said. should be an interesting listen.

Digging: Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole

Ponton
January 20th 2014

havent listened to this band in years but i remember revelations was good. good review

Crysis
January 20th 2014

shortest metalstyles review ever?

January 20th 2014

It probably is actually, yeah. Just felt I said all I wanted to say in 350 words this time.

@Jared
Thanks, and you might enjoy this if you liked that album. It is the same band after all. Oh and nice dig, I'm still real grateful that you reminded me about that album, it's just really, really good.

MO

19001 Comments

magnus m/

January 20th 2014

Coming from the cold lands of Northern Europe, fuck yeah.

Vakarian12
January 21st 2014

listening to this now and really doesn't sound all too bad. 3.5 maybe.

good review though!

Digging: Ghost Brigade - IV - One with the Storm

January 21st 2014

No it's definitely not "bad". Just didn't do anything for me personally. If some of you find this enjoyable, great, more power to you!