I Mother Earth
Scenery & Fish

by UBIK USER (2 Reviews)
April 5th, 2006 | 12 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

After a long deliberation I have finally decided to write a review for this album for a number of reasons. Initially I had ruled against this due to my previous review, in which I stated my dislike of the singer. However, after stating that, I felt an instant regret and going back and listening to this album I can say these songs would only work with Edwinís singing. As much as I like Byrneís voice for the newer albums, I canít honestly say that he is suitable for Scenery & Fish. Now, trying to maintain my objectivity despite my beliefs about Edwin, I write this review to bring an excellent album to peopleís attention, if not for those who have not heard of this album, but for those who have cherished this album and could undoubtedly do a better job writing than I (which I implore someone to do).

The first track, Hello Dave!, is primarily an assortment of sounds with a lot of bongo playing over it, very strange but gives an eerie premonition of future songs ( oddly enough, I had imagined this track being a soundtrack to someone having a seizure, or at least if someone tried to dance to it, theyíd look like they were having one).

The next five songs after are some of the best on the entire album, with intense songs like One More Astronaut, Three Days Old, and Used To Be Alright, then more quirky songs with Like A Girl and Another Sunday. Most recognizable is One More Astronaut, the song gives the feeling like youíve been pushed into outer space while plummeting through a meteor shower with itís racing guitar and pulsing bass line, spilling into a sublime instrumental segment with a blast of bongos and some spacey effects in the background. Three Days Old and Used To Be Alright are easily two of the catchiest songs on the album, the guitar riffs are first-rate on both tracks, I easily put Use To Be Alright on repeat for twenty minutes. Another Sunday is another familiar song for most people, acoustic sounding in the chorus, with a verse coming close to the pace of One More Astronaut. Like A Girl is a little cleaner sounding on the guitar, but the bass line is incredible, almost seems like heís playing slap bass (could be wrong). What stands out with Like A Girl and Another Sunday are the lyrics, stuff about Jesus, his mom dressing him . . . well, like a girl, and I can only assume Another Sunday is about alien abduction.

The next three songs, Shortcut To Moncton, Pisser and Raspberry, hold many of the similar qualities of Three Days Old and Used To Be Alright, though these songs donít sound the same, they hold each musicianís signature style, the funky guitar, driving, smooth and often thumping bass, and the always eclectic drumming. The tail end of this album has songs that seem to be more instrumental in content which is good with these guys behind the wheel, listening to them pound away and kind of straying from a more formulaic song structure.

This is a superior album and shouldnít be overlooked, if you disagree or dislike this review . . . good, do something about it and write a better one.

Andrew Barr (MM8) (4.5)

Dig

Blue Green Orange

tom79
April 5th 2006

Not a bad review but you should add an image and tracklisting/release date. I Mother Earth is pretty good but i never thought of them as Nu-Metal.

Digging: Titus Andronicus - The Most Lamentable Tragedy

UBIK
April 5th 2006

I did add all that stuff, my comp just went insane. I guess I'll have to re-post....

Iluvatar
April 5th 2006

Not a bad review; I keep getting told to check them out, but never get around to it. Maybe I'll have to pick this up sometime soon.

UBIK

Thanks Jom.

Dimes Make Dollars
April 6th 2006

I found out about this band when I was maybe 11 or 12, because my camp counselor was Canadian and gave me this album. There are quite a few really great tracks on it.

Nice review too.

random
April 16th 2009

Got this for 10.99 and saw it at my thrift store for 2.99.

Scoot
February 3rd 2011

good stuff here

Digging: Mutoid Man - Bleeder

Jethro42
February 4th 2011

One More Astronaut, Shortcut to Moncton, Raspberry and Another Sunday are all ace.

random
March 29th 2011

One More Astronaut just played on Galaxie Rock. I always air drum the solo in the middle section.

CrazyFool84
May 29th 2011

nice review, some of our finest 90's atl-rock output for Canada in IME, forgot how much I loved this record as a kid, kind of surprised at how effective it still is all these years later.

Scoot
December 29th 2011

used to be alright is still /m

mindleviticus
February 11th 2014

Like A Girl is a pretty sweet funk song.

Kind of a damn long album though