Hail Spirit Noir
Oi Magoi

by piroga84 USER (9 Reviews)
January 15th, 2014 | 59 replies | 6,174 views

Release Date: 01/20/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: there are still albums with no fillers out there

Hail Spirit Noir is a great band. At the same time they are dangerously addictive. “Oi magoi”, their second album, has some kind of magic in it. You can call it a binding spell. Every composition seems like having two or three different songs in it. I found myself not liking a song in the beginning and in the middle it blew me away. There are so many twists and turns, corners and hidden spots in the album that feels like walking in a labyrinth. The minds of these guys seem overly complicated but they manage to show us one or two flashes of their imagination. You need to give it time.

I like to call it an album –in between. It stands somewhere in between metal genres, though not enough of anything, to be precisely categorized. It carries the tradition of greek black metal in it, melody and atmosphere wise. “Satan is time” is an early standout. The clean vocals add the extra charm I needed to love this song. In the very pit of this album’s existence is progressive rock. And rock and roll. “Mermaid” is an 11 minute jam, where the keyboards take the driver's seat from the relentless avant-gardish riffing. This is a dark -near instrumental- progressive jam that could easily belong to the seventies.

The brutal and clean vocals constantly mix, giving the songs a theatrical edge. I am pretty sure that “Oi magoi” is not a concept album and how could it be with so many moods and layers in it. Should I call it schizophrenic at times, I am not sure, even after all these times I listened to it. And greek lyrics in the closing song? Yeah, why not! It absolutely works, the band sounds exotic, archaic and mysterious. It is repetitive, chanting the same words again and again, like the final scene of an obscure play. I found myself almost lost in my thoughts, mystified and entertained by these guys’ passion play.
Should I state some cons in this album? Yes it can sound retro at times because of its production. If you have a thing about modern production, then the warm, analog sounds of Hail Spirit Noir’s sophomore album wouldn't fit you.

I call this a masterpiece. A masterpiece for its originality and unique mixtures of sounds. A masterpiece because while listening to it, I didn't need to over analyze the reasons why I liked it. I felt it.

Riot The Privilege of PowerManowar Louder Than Hell
Megadeth Super ColliderRod Stewart Time
Warlord The Holy EmpireMetallica Reload

Pneuma

January 15th 2014

can i give a youtube link?

Voivod
January 15th 2014

Listen to "Satan Is Time" here - https://soundcloud.com/heavyhardmetalmania/satan-is-time-by-hail-spirit/s-m98y0

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

January 15th 2014

I've been pretty stoked for this, can't wait to hear it.

Digging: Benoit Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes

is it "legal" right? it has been to youtube almost 10 days

thanks whoever you are!

January 15th 2014

Have another pos. Good job.

January 15th 2014

thanks a lot jamie, waiting for your opinion about magoi

SCREAM!
January 15th 2014

only listened to this once and I didn't feel like I got a lot out of it. However I think that will change with more listens. Their debut was great. Good job man

Myrkur
January 15th 2014

This is awesome, no filler indeed.

January 15th 2014

this is a really good release, seriously these guys are for real

January 15th 2014

jammed like 9 times already....

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

ok so i lied butt this is 3.5 AT best

January 15th 2014

i could even possibly 3 this due to lack of emotion in various parts and lasting impressions

January 15th 2014

lack of emotion?? then the spell is not yet upon you ;-)

manosg
January 15th 2014

Long time no see piroga. I've heard good stuff about this band so I might check them out. Have a pos too.

Digging: Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel

January 15th 2014

yes do that, the link is ^^
thank you as always, i appreciate it!
oh and a happy new year manos

manosg
January 15th 2014

Thanks man, happy new year to you as well!

in various parts

key words 'various parts'

January 15th 2014

Do you dig their debut, Cap? That album rules.

;-)