Manners
Pale Blue Light

by matthew turok USER (31 Reviews)
January 4th, 2014 | 137 replies

Release Date: 01/03/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I can't relate to other people, I can't seem to find some common ground. I can't think straight in public places, I just keep running my fucking mouth.

If you're unfamiliar with Manners, they're one of the most promising melodic hardcore bands out right now, in a weird timeframe where a lot of melodic hardcore is metalcore-infused and 14 year old girls are begging their mom's for Defeater tattoos. What sets Manners apart from other bands in the scene like More Than Life, Defeater, Counterparts, etc. is that their lyrics are ***ing sadder, and their music is just all around more despondent sounding. It's been this way since their second EP, Apparitions in 2010, but on Pale Blue Light they took it to a whole new level of depression. This album sounds and reads like a suicide note, and to achieve that sonically without ripping off a late '90s/early '00s emo band is pretty impressive.

Manners has something else their peers lack though: they bring the mosh. This album has managed to help me reflect on my cycles of depression almost as much as it's made me accidentally kick my mom in the face when she's sweetly bringing me coffee, bless her heart. She takes it like a champ. Sometimes you just gotta kick things over in your bedroom, you know? But for real: as a person who's clinically depressed and struggling to maintain their mood on a day-to-day basis, this band has become a crutch in trying to break the cycle. The fact that there's music that can reflect the feeling that accurately floors me. This is up there on terms of moving melodic hardcore with Final Fight, early Comeback Kid, Life Long Tragedy, Verse, etc. in my opinion, and that opinion is the right one, so it should be in yours as well.

Ritual Mess Ritual MessTower Of Rome & Gun Kata Split
Stray From the Path Our OceaniaCodex (USA) Delusions
Cavities Within The WingsSmile To The Wind Moments
Mark A. (5)
Manners has succeeded in creating an album that highlights the harsh realities of life in a way that...

January 3rd 2014

HAVE YOU EVER FELT LIKE YOU COULD SLEEP FOR A THOUSAND YEARS?

January 3rd 2014

gonna write a review for this i think

January 3rd 2014

Do it son. I just wanted this to be more up in people's feeds. And seriously, the lyrical content.

January 3rd 2014

was super stoked on the variety, because after apparitions i was like this band can do a lot of different stuff really well... the botchy sounding riffs and then super melodic stuff and haunting atmosphere and super sad parts, so i wasn't sure where they were gonna go because that ep was so varied. and they still are super varied on this, its cool

January 3rd 2014

theres like sludgy parts and then parts that sound like deafheaven and everything in between its sweet

Hep Kat

yea this is dope

they should do a split with foxfires, that would be tite

EaglesBecomeVultures

gna check this fosho

Digging: The Rural Alberta Advantage - Mended With Gold

January 3rd 2014

@Gibbes: I absolutely love how they added atmospheric black metal influenced parts to their sound, just so many different ways of expressing the sad. Very romantic vibes.

Hep Kat

funf dunkel jungen

shit rules

ConorIsNotHere
January 3rd 2014

I really enjoyed this album. Equinox is brilliant.

Digging: Punch - They Don?t Have To Believe

Nikkolae

s'alright

FearThyEvil

Yeah, this kicks ass.

Veldin
January 3rd 2014

stream anywhere? Sweet review!

here

FearThyEvil
January 3rd 2014

I ended up downloading it

20846 Comments

dude's vocals have definitely taken a step up

and they were good before