Lorna Shore
Maleficium

by Betray USER (3 Reviews)
December 27th, 2013 | 10 replies | 1,967 views

Release Date: 12/19/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: New Jersey deathcore quartet Lorna Shore brings a surprisingly brutal and punishing EP, not for the faint of heart.

For a deathcore band in 2013 to avoid being completely overlooked, they need more than just one trick up their sleeve. Simply having a vocalist with a great range or a very skilled drummer isn't going to cut it. Luckily enough for any listener of 2013 EP "Maleficium", Lorna Shore packs enough of a punch in each of the four members musical professions to leave any death metal or deathcore fan craving much more than the EP's 20 minute runtime.

The punishment doesn't take long to begin, after about 40 seconds a strong intro riff and blast beating accompanied by a tight double bass drum begin belting your ears, not to relent until the EP is over. The first track, 'Godmaker', perfectly sets the tone for the rest of the EP, showcasing all the band's strengths in one four and a half minute track.

Austin Archey's drumming is fast, tight, and perfectly in time, every time. The constant demand for lightning fast blast beats, extremely quick double bass and frequent tempo changes seems only second nature to the expert drummer. Ending track 'Accumulatory Genophage' showcases the drummers skills perfectly.

Vocalist Tom Barber's brutal lyrics are spit out in a manner that I can only describe as being a wretched combination of Whitechapel's Phil Bozeman Infinite Death-era Thy Art Is Murder's Brendan van Ryn for lows and highs respectively. "So say goodbye to your father, your mother, your sisters and your brothers" because the lyrics are just as brutal as the voice that screams them. The adept vocalist's extreme range shines on title track 'Maleficium'.

Guitarist Adam De Micco adds his creative touch into the equation, riffing and chugging his way throughout. He's landed a perfect combination of death metal style riffing where it it fits, and chugging when its necessary. There are two great stand out solos on the tracks 'Maleficium' and 'Accumulatory Genophage' that perfectly fit the EP's dark and twisted theme.

Lastly, Gary Herrera's bass playing must perfectly follow suit behind the guitar playing, because there are unfortunately VERY few times where the bass guitar sticks out of the mix at all, if any.

Lorna Shore's "Maleficium" brings a ferocious, bloodthirsty and unique change of pace to the otherwise stale deathcore genre, but it's not perfect by any means. The overall short length, complete lack of a pronounced bass guitar and the very frequent, sometimes erratic tempo changes may be a turn off to some, but by no means should constitute anyone who's a fan of the band or their genre to skip out.

If a five track, twenty minute EP can devastate the listener in this manner, I eagerly anticipate a full-length release from this group.

December 26th 2013

First review. Tell me how I can improve.

Nocturnal
December 26th 2013

Pos'd. I'd love to help you out and give you some constructive criticism but I don't feel i'm educated enough in the art of reviewing to send you in the right direction. I personally didn't find any major holes or blunders in the review but what do i know. Well done and this EP is sick. One of the best deathcore releases of 2013 without a doubt.

Digging: The Contortionist - Exoplanet

Nocturnal
December 27th 2013

Jersey ShoreCore.

TheMoreira
January 8th 2014

If i may, and with all due respect, you shouldn't start a review with a sentence like that. Other than that, you did a very decent job.

Now as for my opinion of the EP itself, unfortunately i can't say as much as you do about these guys. Bone Kingdom left room for wondering where these guys would go, and this Maleficium only does the same for me. It's still not the release i was looking for, and if they insist in this strain of slow, often uncomprehensibly and incoherently written Deathcore, i don't think i'll be able to to like them more than i do now. I do agree with you when you speak wonders about their riffs (some of them) and drumming, even vocals. They are somewhat strong as individuals, and really try to innovate i'd say. But i felt like all of that good mixing and great execution has been underwhelmed by a lack of sense of appliance, if that makes sense to you. Needs more original ideas, more brutality, less chugs that go nowhere and weird transitions that break the songs' flows.

Sorry for the soundoff lel

Digging: The Chariot - Long Live

January 9th 2014

No apologies necessary man. Appreciate the feedback.

And admittedly, the EP does leave something to be desired.

Fixed.

TheMoreira
January 9th 2014

Also welcome to the site. Keep up the reviewing!

Diamondize
March 24th 2014

They improved so much since their last EP.

Digging: Nexilva - Eschatologies

March 24th 2014

Their last EP is still good though.

Saw these guys live earlier in the month, was awesome. They just played this whole EP.

Hung out with them a bit afterwards, since me and the person I went with were basically the only two that knew them, lol.

Diamondize
March 26th 2014

Love all the hype these guys got cuz of their new EP, all of their material is definitely a step above most post-2010 deathcore bands. They also live close, so I've got some state pride. Never saw them live though, I envy you man.

March 26th 2014

Yeah, they killed it.

The crowd's reaction was most depressing though. The ones that actually left the merch tables/bar area to go to the front of the stage just kinda.... stood there.