Ween
Chocolate and Cheese

by barosjn USER (20 Reviews)
April 4th, 2006 | 14 replies | 5,258 views

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Even though this band have a really stupid name, Ween have made a wide variety of rock albums. None of them can top off the sound of Chocolate and Cheese though. Their previous releases were a mixture of sounds while their recent ones focused on a specific genre in rock history. Chocolate and Cheese seems like both at the same time, because there's a wide variety musically yet the songs connect with each other to make it a 90's album that combines the elements of classic rock from the previous three decades. The Doors sound within "Take Me Away" is a good opener, even though it gets a little repetitive. The eerie blend of chimes, guitar, bass, drums, and lyrics in "Spinal Meningitus (Got Me Down)" will definitely freak someone out and have them headbanging at the same time. Black people's music gets made fun of in "Freedom of '76" and the catchy hit on Chocolate and Cheese known as "Voodoo Lady", while the Latinos get the same treatment on the epic tale that is "Buenas Tardes Amigo". The Middle Eastern metal of "I Can't Put My Finger On It", the carnival ditties "Roses Are Free" and "The HIV Song", and the 60's atmosphere within the songs "Mister, Would You Please Help My Pony?" and "What Deaner Was Talkin' About" are all so weird, yet eventually you might find yourself singing along to them. The album's instrumental track ("A Tear For Eddie") and "Drifter In the Dark" are good songs to relax to, while "Baby Bitch" and "Don't Sh*t Where You Eat" proove to be vulgar, but funny acoustic songs. Overall, if you like all kinds of rock music and want something to laugh at at the same time, Chocolate and Cheese from Ween might be the album for you.

Korn Take a Look in the MirrorQueens of the Stone Age Lullabies to Paralyze
Korn See You on the Other SideSystem of a Down Hypnotize
Limp Bizkit Significant OtherRed Hot Chili Peppers Californication
Bill Thomas (4.5)
I can't even imagine chocolate and cheese tasting good together. Maybe my unhatched fish will eat it...

Zesty Mordant (4.5)

barosjn
April 16th 2006

I didn't mention "Joppa Road" and "Candi" in my blurb, but that's only because they are the two lowest points of the album. I don't skip them and they're pretty average tracks, but compared to the rest of Chocolate and Cheese they are low points.

HailToTheThief
June 9th 2008

I agree with Candi but Joppa Road is great.

NotMrBlonde
August 7th 2008

Chocolate And Cheese isn't a stupid name...

Shadowed Reflection
November 6th 2009

he meant ween was a stupid name, which i also disagree with. i found this review too short and not paragraphed, but otherwise quite well written.

"athankye!"

November 6th 2009

album is fun, I really don't think they've done much that is truly worthwhile apart from The Mollusk

Fuck you you're wrong

deal with it.

gimmick band is gimmicky, it's the only album where they ever managed to pull off what they do with a sincerity that doesn't sound like a flaky, humorous rehash of the genres they are trying to recreate.

that is not to say they aren't talented or fun to listen to, and they certainly do have their moments

November 6th 2009

Band is genius, deal with it

November 6th 2009

how you kids degrade the word genius these days crikey

BrandNewBoognish
November 6th 2009

Calling Ween a 'gimmick' or joke band is completely missing the point and just a lazy observation at best. People who don't know what they're talking about have been saying that shit for years. Chocolate and Cheese and The Mollusk prove what great songwriters they are. Quebec and White Pepper also, although those albums do have filler.

November 6th 2009

It really isn't. I used to defend the band in exactly the same manner, and i've listened to just about everything they've done many times.

I've tried so hard to love these guys, and claim they are eccentric, eclectic geniuses just rocking out and having fun and being awesome at it because of albums like God Ween Satan, The Pod, Pure Guava and Chocolate and Cheese. Truth is, there are a lot of great moments on of all these albums, but the filler you claim makes all the difference between this and both Quebec and White Pepper is something I strongly feel they've never escaped on any of their studio recordings. Tie this in with tackling as many genres as possible whilst retaining that quirky "ween sound", it just feels like what they offer is a generally humorous, and amusing pisstake of their influences that is fun but never really rises to be something of real substance apart from fleeting amusement. Buenas Tardes Amigo is a perfect example of this in my eyes.

This is not to say I do not like this album or Ween at all. I just feel, this is a little overrated, and I am defending myself from a throwaway comment. That is all.

dannyboy89