Muse
Live at Rome Olympic Stadium

2.0
poor

by Nash J. CONTRIBUTOR (39 Reviews)
December 21st, 2013 | 103 replies

Release Date: 12/02/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A concert that is not worth the price of admission.

Few bands in recent memory have put as much effort into their "live" persona as Muse have. While their concerts are not unconventional nor particularly gimmicky, Muse have made it abundantly clear that, when all is said and done, their heart lies on stage. This has been made evident by songs such as "United States of Eurasia" or "Survival," which are insufferable in nature and were included on Muse's LPs not because of their quality or context within the album, but because they were specifically manufactured to be showstopping, crowd-pleasing tunes during live performances. Furthermore, the band has been known to omit certain songs from their LPs simply due to them being "difficult" to perform on stage, leaving brilliant songs like "Futurism" (which would be later included on the reissue of Origin of Symmetry) on the cutting room floor. Muse's The 2nd Law World Tour, which began September of 2012, was touted as being their biggest and most "extravagant" live show yet. While the validity of these claims are debatable, the release of Live at Rome Olympic Stadium, a live album with an accompanying video chronicling their performance at Stadio Olimpico in July of 2013, came as a surprise to no one.

Having seen Muse live in January, I can personally confide that their live shows live up to the most of their hype. Auditory aspects aside, their concerts are visual extravaganzas. Lasers shoot out of guitars during solos, televisions fly around the stage, pyrotechnics explode at the climax of their songs, etc. The band utilizes their venues in a variety of creative ways, and the immense energy each member displays never ceases to be entertaining. There is no denying that Muse concerts are made worthwhile by their visual aspects. Given that, there is no valid reason as to why the Live at Rome Olympic Stadium CD needs to exist. Once all the spectacular visuals are removed from a Muse concert, what are you honestly left with?

Everything wrong with Live at Rome Olympic Stadium can be summed up by its abysmal setlist. A frequent complaint people have when criticizing concerts they have attended is that the songs on the setlist were "predictable" or "safe." While the tracks on this album are rather predictable, the main issue with the setlist is the absence of songs from Origin of Symmetry and Absolution, the two albums regarded by most people (myself included) to be the band's greatest achievements. The only pre-2006 song to not receive a blatant snubbing is the hit single "Hysteria;" a superb song in and of itself but thrown into the album rather clunkily with a minute-long intro of what sounds like guitar feedback. Six out of the setlist's thirteen songs belong to The 2nd Law; a forgivable offense considering that Live at Rome Olympic Stadium was a concert played in the album's support. In addition to those songs, however, Muse opt to perform their chart-topping, pop-sellout singles rather than their time-tested classics such as "Citizen Erased" or "Stockholm Syndrome." Despite the success they have garnered over the years, songs like "Supermassive Black Hole," "Resistance," and "Starlight" pale in comparison to any given song on Origin of Symmetry. The only surprise to be found here is that the song "Guiding Light," which is easily the worst track on the album The Resistance, was included in the setlist. "Guiding Light" is a very strange inclusion; it is a painfully bland song that does not fit in well with any other track on the album. The only positive aspect of the setlist is that Muse were kind enough to spare their audience of "Survival" and The 2nd Law's two title tracks. Still, having to sit through a horribly boring six-minute rendition of "Explorers" is nearly as bad.

If you consider yourself to be a hardcore fan of Muse's later output, by all means give Live at Rome Olympic Stadium a listen. Quality of the songs being played aside, there is little technically wrong the album. Thanks to top-of-the-line recording equipment, the album's sound quality is only a notch below perfection. Between the instruments and the vocals, everything is expertly mixed. Although the cheering audience rarely detracts from the music, there are a small number cringe-worthy moments, such as when Matt Bellamy ad-libs a "f--k" during "Madness" and the crowd goes ballistic. Despite that, the album's sound surpasses expectations, and latter-day Muse fans who loved The Resistance and The 2nd Law will no doubt get their money's worth by purchasing this. If you do not fall into that category, however, you will find Live at Rome Olympic Stadium to be of no redeeming value.

Myrkur MyrkurxSPONGEXCOREx How Tough Are Yah?
Dead Can Dance Into the LabyrinthSaor Aura
The Phantom Band Strange FriendThe Night Watch The Night Watch
2.8
good

December 20th 2013

Quick note: This review is for the Live at Rome Olympic Stadium CD, or "Side 1." The tracks on "Side 2" were only included on the DVD/Blu-Ray release, which was a video and not an album and was therefore not factored into my review whatsoever.

Digging: Aphex Twin - Syro

FiveLeavesLeft

Nice review, pos. That setlist looks so damn lackluster :/

December 20th 2013

Thanks, man! And yeah, one glance at the setlist and you pretty much know what you're in for.

December 20th 2013

i dont mind some stuff from the resistance but damn that setlist is bad
they will never top haarp

December 20th 2013

we get panic station instead damn

WhiteNoise
December 20th 2013

Ugh I saw them a few weeks ago, I got excited because the night before they played citizen erased and Stockholm syndrome
two of my absolute favourite Muse songs....but yep, the night I see them they swap them for Guiding light and fucking United
States of shitasia.

Futures

That setlist offends me.

Digging: Gerard Way - Hesitant Alien

December 20th 2013

If the setlist didn't offend you, I'd be offended.

Undisclosed Desires and Survival are two of the worst things I've ever heard

tempest--

HAARP >

hard

FiveLeavesLeft

haard

Undisclosed Desires and Survival are two of the worst things I've ever heard

Ughhh, agreed. Sort of kills me inside knowing those songs were released as singles...

HAARP >

No doubt about that. I'd argue any other Muse live album over this one.

tempest--

haha yes brendan m/

December 20th 2013

It sorts of kills me inside knowing that those songs exist, they're fucking awful in every way
If they HAD to include 2nd Law songs they should've done Save Me and Liquid State

December 20th 2013

Save Me is kind of a bore but Liquid State really should have been included in place of Explorers or Panic Station.

Green Baron

20000 Comments

Well there only were like 3 good songs off 2nd Law. Shame they built a whole live album on that shit

December 20th 2013

I love Save Me, probably because it was the first Muse song that I felt had genuine emotion in a long fucking time