Daughtry
Baptized

1.5
very poor

by Nick Mongiardo CONTRIBUTOR (82 Reviews)
December 4th, 2013 | 42 replies

Release Date: 11/19/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: No maturity to be seen here.

Right from the start, this album immediately begs the question: doesn't Daughtry ever get tired of writing about the same thing over and over again? It's bad enough that the lyrical content hasn't changed in the slightest, but what is really striking is that the band still collaborates with many lyricists to write these songs. Aside from more variety in the instruments that they use, almost nothing has changed. It's the same, lame radio-friendly Daughtry that everyone has come to know. We've been shown tiny glimpses of brilliance in some of their songs. Sadly, you won't find the great atmospheric elements of "Open Up Your Eyes" and the intensity of "Drown In You." The overall result is simply a complete waste of talent considering how fantastic Chris' voice generally is.

Granted, that first paragraph comes off as extremely harsh. After all, the sound that they are going for is a simple radio friendly one. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a band that is going for this type of sound. However, one would think that after four albums, the band would switch things up a bit, think outside the box, and mature just a little bit. Alas, Daughtry has done the unthinkable and taken a step backward. Just look at "Waiting For Superman" for example. Sure, the band did try something a tad different, but that simply doesn't do it justice. The song is basically a terrible synth pop song that contains extremely cheesy lyrics even for Daughtry's standards. This electronic song is radio gold and it's absolutely baffling that the band would stoop so low as to sell out even more than they already have. Chris' performance is actually not the album's problem at all. He has always been an incredibly talented singer with a fantastic vocal range. The problem is that his voice is hindered by the corny lyrics that plague pretty much every single song on the album. From the extremely cringe worthy chorus of the title track to the over done lyrics about being wild and free in "18 Years," this is songwriting at its worst ladies and gentlemen. "Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom/And the cannon goes." I believe these lyrics from "Battleships" say it all.

The band had many aspects of great mainstream music right in the past. I think at one point all of us had "It's Not Over" or "Over You" in our heads whether we wanted it to be there or not. The reason those songs were gulity pleasures is because they were generally enjoyable to listen to. They were accessible, Chris' voice was something different for radio, and the band performed them quite well. The band's performance has always been quite standard, but on Baptized, it's safe to say the band can't save these songs from being quite tedious and tiresome to listen to. Granted they do use different folky types of instruments this time around, but that alone can't save the album. The whole thing is just a been-there-done-that experience. Now that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if it was done right like their debut, but sadly Chris' talented voice is wasted once again. Gone are the incredibly catchy, rocking songs like "You Don't Belong" and very pleasant songs like "What About Now." What we get this time around is a very poorly made album filled with by the numbers pop songs and boring pop rock songs. At least the album cover isn't a generic picture of the band this time though so that's something!

Deftones Diamond EyesAnathema Judgement
Low Roar 0A Slow Descent Secrets of a Melting Moon
Opeth Pale CommunionDeftones Saturday Night Wrist
poor

December 4th 2013

Figured I'd review something new and this didn't have one yet so what the fuck right? Avoid this guys
haha it's no bueno.

As always any critiques are welcome!

LittleStranger
December 4th 2013

Didn't mind "What I Want" but this dude has made some scummy music. I haven't listened to this/not going to anyway, I'll take your word for it and assume it sucks

December 4th 2013

I don't really hate anything off their first two albums. They're really not that bad as far as mainstream stuff goes. But yea man this sucks haha

pizzamachine
December 4th 2013

Probably the most boring album this year. Pos btw.

Thanks man. Agreed hard.

Calc
December 4th 2013

I like your porcupine tree reviews much better than this one but this review certainly isn't bad.

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

December 4th 2013

What makes those better than this man?

Insurrection

Futures

aoty 2k13

Digging: Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World

December 4th 2013

I can't pretend to have heard this, so I can only imagine how awful it is.

December 4th 2013

Haha album is quite stellar not gonna lie

December 4th 2013

Is it better than the new Arcade Fire? Be honest.

December 4th 2013

I haven't heard the new AF actually is it bad?

I think I 2.5'd it.

December 4th 2013

I'm sure it's better than this lol

December 4th 2013

I know, I'm just in a goofy mood today.

Dude I reviewed a Daughtry album so same haha

hogan900
December 4th 2013

Your a legend for sitting through this my man.

December 4th 2013

This still isn't the worst album I've heard, but it was tedious to sit through and fucking easy as hell to review.