Beastmilk
Climax

by kathartic USER (2 Reviews)
December 3rd, 2013 | 62 replies | 10,533 views

Release Date: 11/29/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Beastmilk have created an irradiated gem, forged in the fires of a dying world.

Immediately when the first song is launched off one is caught by the sense of something eminently well-done: the song-writing manages to salute the past greats, without being captured by them. Old British punk, Joy Division, The Cure and The Killing joke are the more easily discovered points of comparison. But Beastmilk is a leviathan of a different caliber entirely, it shrugs off the chains of category effortlessly and works its alchemy with, among others, black metal and post-rock.

The artfully unpolished production of the record works excellently with the post-apocalyptic theme that is covered by the lyrics. Everything is destroyed, scoured away by Nuclear Winter, but a germ of something greater and infinitely more aware remains: the groove of the survivor. The survivor has left behind all pretense and vanity, he is as scarred as the music he creates. The fires of a dying world have etched themselves unto his wreck of a soul. His musical offspring is rock'n'roll, burnt to a crisp, that finds the strength to go on in the intense and mutating glow of radiation. He composes his soundtrack to the apocalypse, not to please, but to share his pain. He is the historian, reminding us of our past hubris and subsequent errors. We have destroyed, we have reaved, we have slaughtered; but are we eternally doomed to repeat our mistakes?

Climax is an off-kilter masterpiece, a true homage to the futility of human strugglings; we do all die anyway. But in the end one is left with a sliver of hope. In the forlorn but resolute words of the singer Kvohst: "Holding on to love in a cold world/I'm holding on to love/Crying out in a dead universe/I'm holding on to love".

kathartic
December 3rd 2013

P.S. for now it's still streaming on the finnish music mag Rumbas homepage at http://www.rumba.fi/artikkelit/darkthrone-kehuu-converge-ylistaa-nme-esittelee-kotimaisella-beastmilkilla-menee-lujaa/

Voivod

Active album stream - http://beastmilk.bandcamp.com/

Album's great, opening track absolutely kills, review is short and sweet, pos.

This, The Missing album from Vaura, the Distance album from Ceremony (USA-VA) and the Sister album from In Solitude (partially, because the Swedes are primarily a heavy metal band) are among the best post-punk yields of this year.

One suggestion:

hubris

hybris

Digging: Troldhaugen - Obzkure Anekdotez For Maniakal Massez

BlackLlama
December 3rd 2013

Good to see these guys getting some attention. I'm not sure if I like this better than their ep or not yet, I still need to let it sink in.

Digging: Stigmata - Do Unto Others

sapient

1962 Comments

Misread the band's name as "Breastmilk"

DropdeadWHA
December 3rd 2013

Wasn't too keen on this...might try it again.

Mad.
December 3rd 2013

Not usually a fan of post punk but the band name and artworks on both their releases have me enticed...

Great comment from the EP review: "Band name makes me think of Beast Wars and Breast Milk; two things I liked as a little tike."

Digging: Anubis - Hitchhiking to Byzantium

toxin.
December 3rd 2013

"Beastmilk have created an irradiated gem, forged in the fires of a dying world."

greg84
December 3rd 2013

The album is quite good. Death Reflects Us, You Are Now Under Our Control and Love in a Cold War are killer songs.

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

deathofasalesman
December 3rd 2013

Waiting for this to come in the mail. I'm stoked on it.

tommygun

foxblood

looks alright

laughingman22
December 3rd 2013

this album looks really cool

Digging: Casualties of Cool - Casualties of Cool

deathofasalesman
December 3rd 2013

Recorded and mixed by Kurt Ballou of Converge.

Irving
December 3rd 2013

Thought the band's name was Breastmilk at first ahahahaha

Digging: Ty Segall - Manipulator

GnarlyShillelagh

Amebix Sonic Mass
Joy Division Closer

Recorded and mixed by Kurt Ballou of Converge.

sold

Parallels

that summary

Yazz_Flute

what an awful band name

Digging: Eskaton - 4 Visions

ZippaThaRippa
December 3rd 2013

You're the only one that thinks that

GnarlyShillelagh