Vildhjarta
Thousands of Evils

by McStrongarm USER (8 Reviews)
November 28th, 2013 | 20 replies | 3,713 views

Release Date: 09/30/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Vildhjarta release a little less skullcrushing album.

Vildhjarta do little, but enough, to distinguish themselves from every other fake and lame ass djent crap out there. Periphery and Tesseract. I'm talking about you guys. Vildhjarta might not need an introduction, but here's a short one anyway. Vildhjarta comes from Sweden, they started playing 2005 and they play djent, that's all you need to know.
Vildhjarta has always been slow cookers. Releasing their first album after 6 years and taking 2 years to write this EP that was originally scheduled to take 6 months. I bet Century is fed up with their "artistic integrity".

I'd say this EP is a step back from Masstaden due to the fact that this is more "in-your-face-djenty" in a bad kind of way. It's less atmospheric and it brings more of the chuggah-chuggah. Not to say the atmospheric parts are all gone, but they're not as prominent as on Masstaden. Take "Dimman", which is an instrumental track for example. Dimman is basically two parts, part one is a quite nice acoustic part which abruptly ends and in comes the heavy and just annexes the whole track. This doesn't flow well at all and the track feels like two tracks squeezed into one. There are some other parts of the EP that doesn't flow very well either. The transition between heavy and mellow seems forced and out of place many times.

The instrumentation is otherwise really top notch. The guitar playing and drums are tight and the bass surely brings the heavy. Ville's growls surely slays even if Daniel's highs still needs some improvement. Sometimes I also get the feeling that I'd like this band more if they cut back on some vocal parts and let the instruments do the talking. Because damn is this groovy from time to time. The ambient parts are dark and real tasty, even the cheesy piano in "Intermezzo" fits the overall theme of the EP very well.

Guitarist and songwriter Daniel said in an interview that he was influenced by all the evils in your everyday life while writing this. In that same interview he also said that he didn't want to force interpretations unto people and he wanted people to make their own interpretations. But there's how you should interpret this album. That's also why it's called Thousands of Evils.

Snowmine DialectsDr. Bombay Rice & Curry
Cryptopsy CryptopsyMoloken Our Astral Circle
Last view Hell in ReverseVolturyon Blood Cure

MO

still gotta hear this

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

Nocturnal
November 28th 2013

Sick EP. Cant wait to see these guys with veil of maya and structures.

MO
November 28th 2013

that last paragraph is odd to read

Sniff
November 28th 2013

Was aiming for a quirky ending.

Insurrection

20641 Comments

ya this was pretty good

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

Kubrick
November 28th 2013

i really loved the debut so i'm surprised by how indifferent i am towards this. it feels like a retread to me, and with far fewer memorable grooves. it seems like they decided to emphasize their more angular, schizophrenic side but without the simpler, catchy grooves to tie things together everything just kind of blurs. also, i'm REALLY not a fan of the clean vocals.. thankfully they are very brief (as they were on the debut), but when they crop up they really do just kill it for me. they're just so flat and lifeless.

zaruyache
November 28th 2013

Still not as good as Uneven Structure.

Digging: Sunwolf - Beholden To Nothing And No One

SatelliteYears

"lame ass Djent crap"
"has always been slow cookers"

Clean up the grammar and don't disparage other bands by name, and you might have a decent review. Good job describing
the album, though, makes me want to listen now.

November 28th 2013

Hope this is good, last album was pure evil.

EDIT: Yeah this is crazy

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

KjSwantko
November 28th 2013

Can't wait to hear this as I am a closet djent fan.

paradox1216

horrible review, great EP

Digging: Braid - No Coast

eldritchnovelty
November 29th 2013

This review is still infinitely more enjoyable than any of the music Periphery & co. have ever put out and will ever put out.

Have a pos.

TomAkaVeto
November 29th 2013

I feel like this EP will work well as a transition from Masstaden to their next album. Even though this isn't as solid overall as Masstaden, I think it showcases them trying some new ideas and it has a lot of really awesome parts. The guitarwork on songs like Regnar Bensin is just insane and pretty unique if you ask me. I've never heard another band produce some of the sounds that Vildjharta does, which definitely makes them stand out to me.

KjSwantko
November 29th 2013

I'd love to see these guys do a Damnation-esque record. Some of the acoustic parts they put together are really neat.

tempest--
December 5th 2013

"Can't wait to hear this as I am a closet djent fan." [2]

climactic
December 5th 2013

djent done right

joshuahuntkc
December 20th 2013

I really like this EP a lot. I had pretty indifferent feelings about this band in the past but they have grown on me a lot.

dbilidb
January 10th 2014

thall

Insurrection
April 17th 2014

20641 Comments

that groove in the second track is ridiculous

trilogique21
May 7th 2014

regnar bensin or git out