Minutemen
Double Nickels on the Dime

by Hogan CONTRIBUTOR (40 Reviews)
November 11th, 2013 | 140 replies

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Serious as a heart attack.

I always liked to think that Minutemen was a breed unlike any other. So unique and complex that no other band would ever be able to produce the same sound; the band was structured in such a confusing nonsensical way that it actually worked. Fusing together genres such as punk, jazz, folk, spoken word, and even funk; it created this weird quirky output that still sparks a burning light in the history of punk that will never be forgotten. While the band attempted heavily to maximize their uncanny music on their first two outings, the band never really reached their full potential until the fiery beast known as Double Nickels on the Dime exploded onto the scene.

It’s hard to necessarily pick out the best moments of Minutemen’s 1984 punk masterpiece Double Nickels on the Dime. There are so many outstanding moments that are scrawled across its massive forty-five song set list that it’s blatantly impossible to choose a favorite. It’s like choosing your favorite star in the night sky, just to return the next day and pick a completely different one. The typical song on the album is fast and fun, but it slows down every few songs to give the listener a cautious break, just before they are shot right back into the fire. Spunky guitar lines are replaced by slow guitar picks, while fast paced drum fills are replaced with jazzy cymbal touches. The album runs off of such an idiosyncratic structure that it may be easy to be lost in a quick daze of intrepid thoughts as another guitar solo flies by unexpectedly, just for it to return as a quick ferocious boomerang that shatters their skull in a sublime fashion.

The lyrics are completely surreal and they strike as somewhat thought provoking. Though sometimes highly comedic, the album can take itself pretty seriously while tackling subjects such as racism, the Vietnam War, or even the injustice delivered to the working class. For instance, the punk magnum opus known as “This Ain’t No Picnic” tells the story of a black man being abused by his employer. The dark themes centered around a punk album was rather understandable at the time; as bands such as Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, and The Clash all incorporated themes of dark and miserable life styles into their music as well. Yet Minutemen hide their dark and serious themes in the crazed instruments and an obnoxiously loud vocal presentation. Using a stream of conscious lyrical process, the music contrasts so differently to the lyrical content that understanding the meanings of each song is a lot harder then it may seem. It’s a smart way of hiding subjective themes and symbols that it becomes a joy to decrypt such secrets scribbled across the surface.

Double Nickels on the Dime is definitely not a perfect album, as it is marred by a few personal blemishes. The vocal performance can be a lot to take in, as it’s as loud and bombastic as punk vocals can get. Also, the same drum sections and guitar lines can be found recycled from previous songs, but it’s not a common mistake. For the most part, everything here is fine tuned to the best. Minutemen have crafted not only a punk watermark, but an explosive memorial worthy of a legacy.

Gates Bloom and BreathePianos Become the Teeth Keep You
The Antlers HospiceColour and Codeine If I Die Tomorrow
St. Vincent St. VincentKashiwa Daisuke Program Music I
4.4
YDload (5)

November 10th 2013

One of my old highschool teachers was a huge fan of this, so I thought I would do him a favor by showing him what I think of it.

November 10th 2013

I'm listening to this right now it must be a sign

November 10th 2013

Not your best review, as I find it to be rather bare bones and with a few odd points where the flow is
broken slightly, but it is good nonetheless, and no grammatical errors that I noticed.

One thing though:

its massive forty-five song set list

You might wanna change this depending on what version you wanna talk about, or at lease specify, as
the album has different versions and the CD release only has forty three songs.

tommygun

dimsim3478

Ya, best fucking band.

Digging: Full Of Hell and Merzbow - Full Of Hell & Merzbow

November 11th 2013

I must look like a dork!

November 11th 2013

Thanks gwyn. And I'll edit that when i get home today, I went by the sputnik set list but yeah I see what you mean. And this band kicks ass

November 11th 2013

Oh and thanks as always tommy!

LifeAsAChipmunk

yus

sapient
November 11th 2013

I need to listen to this

Digging: Cal Chuchesta - Cocoa

November 11th 2013

if this was a la dispute review it would have like 50 comments by now god this site is so faggot sometimes

do it its gr8

November 11th 2013

Lol KILL, I was suprised this only had one review to begin with.

November 11th 2013

pretty sure this had another review once, guess it was deleted

November 11th 2013

Ahh I was gonna say, one damn review for this incredible album?!

what makes a man start fires only has 2 pages this sites gay

SeaAnemone

20946 Comments

fivey as fuck album

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

November 11th 2013

have any staff even fuckin heard this

SeaAnemone

20946 Comments

ya probably all of them except
dave de sylvia
daveyboy
greg
irving
jacob royal
rudy
voivod

judging them hard right now