My Ticket Home
Strangers Only

good

by HaytonLloyd23 USER (3 Reviews)
November 9th, 2013 | 17 replies

Release Date: 09/03/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If you can cut your brain off for 30 or so minutes, and enjoy some nostalgic punk/nu-metal, then you will definitely dig this album.

I am generally a pretty open guy. If I love something, I usually let people know I feel about it, likewise if I hate something. But sometimes, there are just somethings I don't very openly admit to liking, simply because I get massive amounts of flak for it.

Nu-Metal is one of those things.

On My Ticket Home's second full length "Strangers Only", they combine my two favorite genres (Metal-core and Nu-Metal) to very good (and surprising) effect. The album kicks off with the musical equivalent of a punch to the face in "Spit Not Chewed" and stays with the same level of aggression for the entirety of it's 30 minute run time. Well, maybe I lied a little bit, it does let up for a moment in the song "Head Change", but like I said, it's only for a moment before screamer/bassist Nick Giumenti vocally assaults the listener. In the second single (and third track) "Hot Soap", we get to hear new clean vocalist/rhythm guitarist Derek Blevins sing the woes of mistrust in a relationship, and while he isn't as versatile of a singer as Sean Mckowski was, he finds his place in the band. In fact, the theme of mistrust is a common one on the album, especially with the aforementioned track "Head Change" and track 6 "You All Know Better Than Me".

Let's talk for a minute about the rest of My Ticket Home. With Marshal Giumenti controlling the constant chaos throughout the album with his fun and consistent drumming and Matt Gallucci coming up with some interesting leads (guitar scratching, yay!), they compliment the vocals very well, along with the rhythm and almost non existent bass. All in all, the band themselves prove that they are very capable of crafting chaos fueled punk songs.

My Ticket Home is an interesting band, in that they basically reinvent themselves with each release. They definitely aren't a boring band. If you can cut your brain off for 30 or so minutes, and enjoy some nostalgic punk/nu-metal, then you will definitely dig this album.

ThePlotInLou (3.5)
Puke Rock or Die !!!!...

November 9th 2013

My second review here, and hopefully, I have proved myself to not be as terrible of a writer as I was
a year ago lol. Please leave comments and criticisms!

spartanawasp
November 9th 2013

It's metalcore, not metal-core. You should try making you reviews a little longer, but this is pretty good, Pos'd.

Nocturnal
November 10th 2013

Good review. Okay band. Neg'd.

@ Nocturnal - You said the review was good...but you neg'd it? Why? D:

asaf

stopped right there...

November 11th 2013

@asaf - What does my musical preference have anything to do with how the review was written?

elbaliem

nu-metal revivalism

November 11th 2013

@elbaliem - Damn skippy, and I love it haha.

BassMasta987
November 16th 2013

This was a good album. The screamer reminded me less of Caleb Shomo but more of Corey taylor (slipknot frontman). Though I miss Sean' powerful cleans Derek does a good job. Would've been amazing if some of the other songs would stick with you more like Spit not chewed or Hot soap did. Spot on review.

J0ckstrapsFTW
November 17th 2013

Wow I definitely did not think it was gonna sound like slipknot

November 18th 2013

BassMasta987 - Thanks man. Derek is a good replacement for Sean in my opinion. I actually really like the parts where Nick is singing haha.

Koffiiing
January 5th 2014

felt like a kid again listening to this

dixoncocks
January 27th 2014

Wow I liked this way more than I thought I would. Reminds me of the direction SFTP went in at times.

Digging: Haste the Day - Attack of the Wolf King

chug73
March 30th 2014

I know this is trendy as fuck and won't be remembered years from now this surprised the hell out of me. Good songs, solid production (huge ass guitars) and interesting drumming. Lyrics are stupid though.

tresm87
May 21st 2014

trendy? lol this has 53 ratings dude

Digging: Texas In July - Bloodwork

chug73
May 22nd 2014

Trendy as in scene kids are hopping on the current sound. It's not original, it's trendy to sound like a Nu metal band atm.

tresm87