Deftones
White Pony

by halloffame32 USER (2 Reviews)
November 8th, 2013 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of their best, simplicity done right!

Like many, the first song I ever heard off White Pony was their single Change. In typical Deftones fashion it incorporated Chino's trademark whispered lyrics, which eventually transform into more melodic singing. Change represents what Deftones are all about. Both the riffs and the drum beats are relatively simple, but it's this simplicity that makes Deftones so good and enjoyable to listen to.

This album picks up right where 1997's Around the Fur left off. Though all in all not as heavy as Around the Fur, Deftones continue to stick with their overall style, which has always been a nice balance between heaviness, as well as softness. This is the first album to officially feature Frank Delgado in the bands lineup. Delgado is the man behind the keyboards, and the sampling. His presence adds a nice touch to the music giving many of the songs a more psychedelic feel to them. Delgado was also featured in many songs on around the fur before his inauguration into the band.

Guitarist Stephen Carpenter and bassist Chi Cheng continue to work well together by creating catchy riffs, that the listener cannot help but bang his or her head to. I had mentioned before the simplicity of this band. None of the riffs are extremely technical. Carpenter and Cheng are able to create riffs that seem almost atmospheric. The simplicity helps bring life to each song, and adds even more character to the music. I find when I am listening to extremely technical music, that I sometimes get lost. The flow and structure that Carpenter and Cheng add to each song is what really sets them apart. Drummer Abe Cunningham won't blow you away with polyrhythms or double bass, but he lays down some funky beats in each and every song to help keep Deftones distinct. Chino stands out on this record as he does in many of their other records. Chino can do it all. He can sing, scream, and rap. As a listener you will hear each element of his abilities as a vocalist on this album. Chino can be violent and angry one second, and immediately soft and timid another second. Chino's voice is unique and he really shines on White Pony.

This album, though released in 2000 continues to draw attention from many listeners 13 years later. Some of the best tracks include Change, Passenger, Digital Bath, and Elite which won a Grammy for best metal performance.

4.4

November 8th 2013

fuck yea white pony review

not even clownin

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

4.0 is accurate

inb4 people say rating is too low

tempest--
November 8th 2013

its a gd album we get it, ENOUGH

not one bloody review under a 4

where is the objectivivity!

Wadlez

4 sounds right

November 8th 2013

not sure why i like ATF more than this.

November 8th 2013

cause it is heavier, darker, and better in general.

tempest--
November 8th 2013

thts why deathcore is the best

wrong niche

FrankieFrog
November 8th 2013

I've only heard this album and Diamond Eyes from these guys and both are dope as shit. Sounded kinda boring at first until I randomly found myself shouting song lyrics. After a few weeks it sunk in more.

only like to jam 4 albums from these guys ...rest are quite boring tbh

jmnewcomer18

Which albums? Hopefully this, SNW, ATF, and S/T

Exactly lol

jmnewcomer18
November 8th 2013

Yeah the others pale in comparison.

TheSupernatural
November 8th 2013

I can't be the only person that thinks SNW is their worst. Pink Cellphone is unforgivable. Don't care for S/T either.

halloffame32
November 8th 2013

TheSupernatural, I am with you, SNW is also my least favorite!

LilLioness
November 8th 2013

You are not, but you are definitely not in good company in these parts. A lot of us actually have a sense of humor. :-P

Luminara

I didn't enjoy SNW either :c

SirDrumsalot
November 8th 2013

Self Titled kicks balls over this album. I dont get the hate for that one.

KerfuffleinaHussle