Burzum
Sol austan, Mani vestan

by KriegdemKriege USER (17 Reviews)
November 4th, 2013 | 29 replies | 5,691 views

Release Date: 05/27/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The best post-prison Burzum release.

When I learned that Varg Vikernes had released a new ambient album under the Burzum name, I was intrigued but a little apprehensive. I’ve always been a fan of Burzum’s dark ambient material when featured as individual tracks on the metal albums, like “Tomhet” off of Hvis lyset tar oss and “Han som reiste” off Det som engang var, but I found Vikernes’ two full-length ambient albums to be a huge letdown. The albums were poorly recorded and featured uninspired, video game-esque music. I was willing to give Vikernes the benefit of the doubt and chalk up his mediocre ambient albums to the restraints he had recording in prison, and decided to check out the new album. I’m glad I did, because Sôl austan, Mâni vestan was a pleasant surprise.

This record is radically different from anything Vikernes has released in the years since his release from prison, and with the quality of the metal albums he’s put out being as poor as they have been, this is not a bad thing. Sôl austan, Mâni vestan features tasteful ambient music, relaxing and ideal for listening at night. The album features a fair amount of variety, and proves an engaging listen.

This is a lengthy album, featuring almost an hour’s worth of music, but it does not seem to drag on. There is surprisingly little filler on Sôl austan, Mâni vestan, which is something that cannot be said for Burzum’s previous ambient releases or his post-prison metal works. While ambient keyboard melodies are certainly the focus, some tracks also feature acoustic guitars and bass, adding greatly to the variety and mood of the album. The ambient keyboard swells heavily featured on this album recall Burzum’s earlier ambient piece, “Tomhet”. Each song on this record features a large amount of repetition, but this is the standard for Burzum releases.

All in all, this album is worth at least one complete listen. It is hands down the best material Vikernes has released since 1996. Vikernes is making a wise decision in moving away from his metal sound; ambient material seems to be his strength these days. Even if you’re not a fan of Burzum’s other ambient releases, you might find this one enjoyable. It’s a unique listen.

Kauan Aava Tuulen MaaCarpathian Forest Black Shining Leather

5 it

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

Judio!
November 4th 2013

"The best post-prison Burzum release."

That's not saying a lot...

Digging: Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

Wizard

19329 Comments

Nah, Belus kicks the shit out of this.

Good review.

they all suck

Ok

SnailTRAIL
November 4th 2013

i was at a party and i was sober and they asked me to play this they started jeering instantly but i was enlightened

Comatorium.
November 4th 2013

Come on Oltna, fuck you for opinions n shit, right? if he says they suck then you're not allowed to enjoy them, you pleb.

KriegdemKriege
November 4th 2013

I thought Fallen was pretty good, but Belus was mediocre.

Umskiptar was a terrible album. Just awful.

November 4th 2013

Bro have even been to jail I didn't think so

deathofasalesman
November 4th 2013

I like Fallen and Belus more than this. Cuz black metal n not ambient.

someguest
November 5th 2013

20393 Comments

The best post-prison Burzum release.

As George Carlin would say:

"Bullshit!"

Wizard
November 5th 2013

19329 Comments

Agreed with someguest. Most of his ambient shit is just silly keys.

someguest
November 17th 2013

20393 Comments

Belus and Fallen both have riffs as good as his pre-prison work. The only real downside with these later releases is the vocals which are quite different.

linguist2011
November 18th 2013

So Vikernes has done another fully ambient album, the first in over a decade and a half in fact. I'm not going to be too judgmental on Vikernes' motive for recording this album, since I now know that his ambitions have spread to making movies, and this album is apparently the soundtrack to "Forebears", a film made by him and his other half. Musically for the most part this verges on the edge of bland and uninspiring, but there are quite a few parts of many songs which manage to turn heads at least. The spacey sounds on 'Runar munt bu finna' and 'Ganga at solu' offer some interesting noise effects and elsewhere Vikernes uses a hefty amount of melancholy and melody to make various songs amount to a half-hearted albeit glossy finish. It's far from his best work, but not quite his worst (*ahem* Umskiptar *Ahem*).

VinVal
December 20th 2013

so whats the best burzum album post-1996? i love black metal burzum and his ambient work in hvis lysset & filosofem

Digging: Deathspell Omega - Paracletus