Thriftworks

good

by Will Robinson STAFF
November 1st, 2013 | 15 replies | 1,758 views

Release Date: 09/04/2013 | Tracklist

Deviation is not an ambitious album. It’s nice and compact, an aural treat in fun-size form, and doesn’t attempt to be anything more that eight spacey, chilly downtempo creations. And, of course, it’s not necessarily a bad thing that Thriftworks rarely leaves his comfort zone here. Staticky and nasally, “The Touch” seems a few tweaks away from passable as a Bonobo B-side, and the cold metallic blanket it wraps around the listener’s ears leaves a gleaming sheen in its wake. It’s an emblem of what makes the album work so well - when he finds something that works, the music ends up relaxed, confident, and wonderfully broken.

“The Touch,” however, is also symptomatic of what’s wrong with Deviation. The quilt of sound it weaves feels as threadbare and tired as it is warm and unsettling. The meandering downtempo of nearly the entire release comes off as old and done to death, and the near-total lack of experimentation and boundary-nudging hurts, especially in a genre which relies so heavily on pushing at the limits of sonic architecture. Particularly apparent are the similar-sounding nasal synths which change very little over the course of the release, a facet which pushes the album even closer to the threshold of cyclical tedium.

It’s particularly damaging to Deviation, then, that it lacks scope. While it’s pleasing to listen to at times, its aimless wanderings within the realm of downtempo are too lackluster and unfocused to succeed. The grating dissonances between certain elements within every song - the narrow bass and bleepy main chords of “Feeding Time,” the glassy percussion, chopped vocal samples, and wobbly synths of “Metal Tho” - hurt its cause even further, as the prevalent sonic candy doesn’t fare well during clashes. Aside from the wonderful hip-hop of “Terminally Chill” and its syncopated, otherworldly bleeps and bloops, Deviation is unfortunately a fully unremarkable release - it’s just too damn safe for its own good.

Ariana Grande My EverythingRustie Green Language
The Bug Angels and DevilsVenetian Snares My Love Is A Bulldozer
Seven Lions Worlds ApartBig Freedia Just Be Free

November 1st 2013

Short review for a short EP. Streaming here: http://jatlas.bandcamp.com/album/deviation

oltnabrick
November 1st 2013

cool. i think Hydromany is my favorite Thriftworks but this is good

Digging: Monte / Magntophonique - Split

Omaha

wonderful work man

also, isnt Terminally Chill the name of a Neon Indian song? weird coincidence.

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

Calc
November 1st 2013

you brought this to a 3.9!!!

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

how sad

GnarlyShillelagh

still haven't heard this

terry d has been wearing off of me a bit

Sleaper
November 1st 2013

albums ok. yeh thriftworks doesnt hold much replay value for me

Digging: Mick Jenkins - The Water[s]

ok

ok

FourthReich

oltnabrick
November 1st 2013

Dam I can't believe it's been almost a year since Hydromancy

FourthReich
November 1st 2013

it's been a long december

clercqie
November 2nd 2013

His output is just a bit too high to keep me interested. Terry -D was very very good though.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

Keyblade
November 2nd 2013

This was sweet, but yeah Terry-D was on another level

Digging: Strawberry Switchblade - Strawberry Switchblade

chitownflip
November 23rd 2013

Thriftworks' such a boss. Rainmaker and Hydromancy are his best tho

osmark86
April 10th 2014

I can't say I mind that he's "playing it safe" so long as he crafts delicious beats, and that is something he is very proficient at doing. He has a knack for adding just enough space in his tracks. Personally I really dig the blend of "normal" synthesizers with the occasional wonk. Keeps it familiar and just odd enough to surprise here and there.

Digging: Schammasch - Contradiction