Sepultura
Arise

by ScuroFantasma USER (34 Reviews)
October 28th, 2013 | 22 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: : A full power thrash metal album that induces head-banging from start to finish

Sepultura’s 5th official release is perhaps one of the greatest accomplishments that the band has achieved since their debut release in 1984. The pure force on this album is enthralling as it is frightening and blasting this album full power is the only volume acceptable for such a release. The Brazilian thrash legends are at the top of their game here, continuing from the success garnered by their previous releases, the follow up to "Beneath the Remains" is perfectly suited for the task. The epitome of Sepultura’s career occurred during these releases and perhaps peaked here at "Arise".

What makes this album such an important milestone in the Sepultura discography? Well, for starters, the instrumental aspect of this album is undeniably exceptional. The guitars push this album full throttle, giving each and every track the ability to crush a listener’s skull under the right circumstances. This is expected from a Sepultura album, but on this disc they take it to a whole new level of intricacy and strength which definitely makes this album stand out from the rest. On tracks such as ‘Desperate Cry’, for the most part the song follows the fast paced full force attack that Sepultura are known for, but the breakdown in the middle becomes an electric guitar tournament, with tone changing from full throttle excitement to more of a melodic and higher pitched riffing. Having two guitarists certainly doubles the excitement felt on tracks like ‘Dead Embryonic Cells’. ‘Subtraction’ also features some of the best riffs on the album, even if they don’t last as long as would be desirable.

The drumming on this album also lives up to the grandeur of the guitars. Each and every percussive note is easily audible through the guitars due to its incredible bass heavy atmosphere. It’s clear that the drums are also a driving force on this album. And speaking of bass, Paulo Jr. proves that when a backbone is needed to keep a song strong, the bass guitar is always there. The deep strum from Paulo’s bass is never far away and gives an unsettling atmosphere to the entire album. There are also some electronic sound effects used in the beginning of ‘Altered State’ which definitely amp up the downright frightening feeling which permeates this disc.

Vocally, Max is outstanding. He compliments the music to a tee, and his harsh and deep voice makes it feel like he was designed to drive the tip of Sepultura’s dagger into the eardrums of listeners. He is especially amazing on the cover of Motorhead’s; ‘Orgasmatron’, which is an absolute highlight to the album and one of the top three songs on the album. Max once stated that he believed the Sepultura cover surpassed the original and I might agree with him. Max’s lyrics are quite good and it’s seems that by now in his career, he has gained confidence in writing English lyrics that are more intricate in their wordage and meaning.

Their sound has evolved since Beneath the Remains and Sepultura have managed to release an album that can be fully appreciated as some of the best work they have ever done.

Recommended tracks:

*Arise
*Desperate Cry
*Altered State
*Infected Voice
*Orgasmatron

Get this album for its impeccable guitar work, exciting riffs and rip-your-face-off thrash force.

-ScuroFantasma

Eluveitie Everything Remains As It Never WasSingle Soul/Depression at Denny's Bedroom Pop Illuminati
Enbilulugugal The End Is Extremely Fucking NighMonolith (CAN) Voyager
Milhouse Everything's Coming Up...The Mark of Man Exeunt
4.2
lostforwords (5)
A classic thrash metal album whose commercial success is just an indicator of its quality...

Foodforthegods (5)

CWE
October 28th 2013

Pos'd. I'll have to give the album a listen!

manosg
October 28th 2013

Awesome album, for me this is where it all clicked for Sepultura. Good review too, pos.

Digging: John Coltrane - Ballads

SpiritCrusher2
October 28th 2013

I think BTR is better overall, but nothing competes against the first 3 tracks here. pure gold

20742 Comments

I much prefer the two that came before this but great album regardless.

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt

TheNotrap
October 28th 2013

The album contains some of Sepultura's best songs. Great follow-up to Beneath the Remains.

Have a pos.

Digging: Threshold - For The Journey

awesome album

BigPleb
October 28th 2013

Prefer BtR and Schizo but this is still fucking awesome m/

yep rules

Digging: A Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology

top 5 thrash bnad

Digging: Cadaver - ...In Pains

dno bout that

imo

still no coroner, anacrusis or heathen

20742 Comments

If they had stopped after this they'd be like the best band ever.

October 28th 2013

well yeah I'm not considering really anything past Chaos AD to be a reason why they're one of my top 5 thrash bands, even tho Chaos AD is almost entirely non-thrash

I never really let bad albums (or even decades of bad albums) tarnish what good a band has done for me

20742 Comments

I can't help but take their later albums into account. Same goes for Annihilator. I find it hard to consider a band that has released so many mediocre-terrible albums as one of the top 5 thrash bands, even if I do think their earlier stuff is some of the best thrash out there.

I see what you're saying though, it shouldn't really make much difference if you just ignore their later material.

manosg

"top 5 thrash bnad"

Top 4 for me. I think Chaos AD is legitimate, not career threatening like the ones that followed it.

19790 Comments

I gotta hear this one again

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

BigPleb

Its decent ya

October 28th 2013

Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise

ScuroFantasma

1932 Comments

First few albums were legendary

Digging: Eluveitie - Origins

October 28th 2013

Yeah, Schizophrenia, BtR and this are 3 of the best thrash albums period.