Red Fang
Whales and Leeches

by Zenith Lazerstorm USER (18 Reviews)
October 12th, 2013 | 24 replies | 3,347 views

Release Date: 10/15/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Booze-fueled rock that kicks your ass every time.

Ever since their self-titled Sargent House debut in 2009, Red Fang seem to have taken the heavy music underground by storm. Extensive touring, many high profile festival dates, memorable music videos, and a brand of hard rock that has widespread appeal. Aaron Beam, David Sullivan, Bryan Giles, and John Sherman are a force to be reckoned with.

Red Fang’s music is heavily distorted, sludgy, and undeniably catchy. Those themes have shown up in each release since their first record, but what they were able to do with their Relapse Records debut (and sophomore effort) Murder the Mountains, was put forth a more powerful and therefore effective version of themselves. It was as if they gained 40 lbs in muscle. Not only were the songs still memorable, but the beefier production lent a more imposing presence to the sound, and gave a stronger lasting impression overall.

It seems that one factor that has drifted under the radar with Red Fang is their progressive tendencies, such as the alternating 3/4 and 21/16 time of “Prehistoric Dog”, or the dual guitar back and forth of “Throw Up”. This is where Whales and Leeches succeeds greatly. The riffs in general are slightly lopsided, and quite unpredictable, and the rhythm section matches this to great effect, while keeping the songs from getting too out of hand (“DOEN”, “1516”). These songs are still filled with addictive hooks and the ever-present catchiness. Red Fang has not lost the ability to write a song that’ll get stuck in your head. The vocals are also very well delivered. Aaron Beam is still improving his distinctive croon, which pushes itself to the forefront during “Blood Like Cream” and Bryan Giles is sounding as menacing as ever. The vocal melodies are quite varied as well, never really becoming stale over the course of the album. And another welcome addition to this release is the guest appearance by Yob’s Mike Scheidt. His Mustaine/Wino hybrid voice is very effective in getting the second side of the record kicked off right, and makes “Dawn Rising” that much more epic.

Whales and Leeches also benefits from a very polished finish. The production is stellar, every track seems to be just the right length and the constant twists and turns feel very deliberate (even if they aren’t). Overall this album just exudes craftsmanship. This band has obviously figured out a formula that works for them, and are constantly improving their work upon each new record. While their music still maintains a (somewhat) universal appeal, Red Fang are always pushing the boundaries of what stoner music can be.

But in the end, it’s still booze-fueled rock that kicks your ass every time, so just sit there with your favorite brew (or vintage, I’m not here to judge) and enjoy another fantastic release from the lovable boozers of Portland.

Emma Ruth Rundle Some Heavy OceanMogwai Come On Die Young
Joe Hisaishi Princess MononokeHaunted Horses Watcher
Lymbyc Systym SymbolystOmotai Terrestrial Grief
Greg Fisher STAFF (3)
A joyous, if not entirely consistent stab of stoner rock fury....

KriegdemKriege (4)
Strong, consistent stoner/sludge metal....

NocteDominum
October 12th 2013

I was wondering whether this would get a review, was expecting Greg to grab it or something.

Good work.

Thanks man.

NocteDominum
October 12th 2013

Red Fang seem to have taken the heavy music underground by storm.

While there's nothing wrong with your wording I encourage bringing back some flow:

Red Fang seem to have taken the world of underground music by storm.

:]

Pos'd

October 12th 2013

haha I appreciate the up-vote!

ZombicidalMan

greg84
October 12th 2013

Murder the Mountains was brilliant. This is quite disappointing tbh.

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

insomniac15
October 12th 2013

I found this a bit lacking too. It doesn't have the hooks of Murder The Mountains. Good review, but the rating is too high.

Digging: Karma To Burn - Arch Stanton

slimdaddy
October 13th 2013

Review kicked ass, and I can't wait to listen. I am listening to Murder the Mountains right now. This I think is my favorite review you have written thus far.

Have a pos

Dude thanks!

Got a FUCKING POS from slimdaddy

zaruyache
October 13th 2013

That's definitely what I thought about their sophomore. Hopefully that bit has changed.

Digging: Sunwolf - Beholden To Nothing And No One

October 13th 2013

yeah the whole 2-3 amazing per album thing I think is true of the first. I thought Murder the Mountains was where that was fixed.

slimdaddy
October 14th 2013

This is almost a direct quote of what I thought of their first album

Underflow
October 20th 2013

This is a fun album.

osmark86
October 21st 2013

this can't be that excellent can it? still, I'm sure it's a pretty good listen.

Underflow
October 21st 2013

This is sort of like what The Hunter should have been.

osmark86
October 21st 2013

cool, might have to check it out. red fang are fairly decent anyhow.

SputnikSweetheart
October 23rd 2013

[I always found Red Fang wrote two or three amazing songs per album, then the rest was lacklustre. Dunno if they changed that up on this one]

They didn't.

FearThyEvil

Wonder if I'll dig this.

conesmoke
October 23rd 2013

Why whales? These guys were great live.

tempest--
October 24th 2013

murder the mountains was ok this one is much better