The Browning
Hypernova

2.0
poor

by Esoteric USER (9 Reviews)
October 8th, 2013 | 27 replies | 4,171 views

Release Date: 09/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Burn This World 2.0

In this very modern day, incorporating electronics to enhance music and oversize the output sound is rather essential to drive the young listeners going or hence, this may appear ostensible for those ones who are overlooking to consistency. With the latter successfully storming the deathcore scene, it is quite enough to hold significant attention. For those new to this controversial fusion of two musical elements, it is not that far from promising. While the said formula might sound interesting and exciting, The Browning’s latest offering, Hypernova is stale and saturated at all kinds of level.

The band is not new to the scene, producing two full-length albums and two EP’s prior to this release. However, what will be heard from Hypernova are the same elements presented from past releases, although it’s much more torn-sounding and overused now, nothing new and only extending their previous effort. It is safe to say that Hypernova is just an exact carbon copy of Burn This World. The key behind The Browning’s electronicore sound is none other than Jonny Mcbee, the vocalist and the electronic programmer of the project. Back were the electro-breakdowns and groovy synthlines, and you will hear it throughout Hypernova every now and then.

Mcbee’s vocals are standard to the genre, utilizing deathcore growls which prove to be one of the strength of The Browning. But setting back for worse is the drums and guitars as their sound fades away being dominated by electronics. The band’s overproducing capabilities is sufficient enough to deliver recognizable tracks. “Gravedigger” provides dancey grooves with its immersive intro breakdown and average mid-section inception chugging. It is easily one of the better tracks as it delivers the standard ‘Browning sound. “Invasion” is an energetic intro, providing a minute and a half of grooves and what one could expect through the release. “Slaves”, along with its recognizable background mideastern-esque ‘ayeahs’ and peculiar acoustic chord progressions with crushing riffs, penetrating synths and brutal breakdowns, it successfully unveils one of Hypernova’s highlights, and The Browning’s one of its finest moments.

This overall sound structure ensues, and it never ends. Hypernova is enjoyable at some point, thanks to their electronical elements but it is uncreative and average sounding overall. The Browning stays true to their signature sound, but electronicore is misleading at the very least, and this amalgamation is nowhere to be called as a comfort zone at best.

Erra AugmentMercenary Through Our Darkest Days
Human Improvement Process Deafening Dissonant MillenniumReflections Of Ruin Rebirth
Rogue Empire OverlordBorn of Osiris Tomorrow We Die Alive
2.9
good

ericu03
October 7th 2013

Quite the hyped feeling for this one, i dunno. but ending up as a very poor release after all.

slidenslip
October 7th 2013

that band name is worse than any slam metal band name

ffs

is this a joke band?

sixdegrees
October 7th 2013

a hypernova of shit huh nice

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

ericu03

slide, yes it is. THE BROWNING

ffs, unfortunately no. but who knows you might like them mate!

six, don't be so hard give the record a chance haha.

Smial

god this band is shit

Fieryfenderz

tresm87
October 8th 2013

if it's average to you why rate it poor

Digging: Upon a Burning Body - The World is My Enemy Now

climactic

s*** band

SlMBOLlC
October 8th 2013

maybe they were high on hash brownies or something

ThenamesTrenton
October 8th 2013

"This group is a guilty pleasure for me for some reason. I like that they don't just use typical synth stuff but fuck around with trance and acid synths that aren't the usual thing you hear in this electrocore shit."

^this.

Asiatic667
October 8th 2013

what a shitty band name what does it mean i dont

joshuahuntkc
October 8th 2013

This band is from my hometown. I can't stand them. I'm actually glad they got signed because they stopped hoping on the local metal shows, which is great because the show doesn't turn into a rave halfway through the evening now.

MegaJake1024
October 8th 2013

I hated Burn this World. I loved this. Album kicks ass. Its funny because metal listeners talk all the time about technicality and everything, but they give no credit to electronics whatsoever. I understand the hate for a lot of electronic things; in fact, I hate most of it, but when an album like this comes out that clearly has some of the best electronics around, its annoying that some people give it no credit.

Digging: To The Wind - Block Out The Sun and Sleep

slidenslip

the browningPERIOD

Duckman118
October 10th 2013

The Browning is a band you listen to when you just want to have a fun time. You wouldn't listen to them to be entertained by fascinating musicianship. This album and band exists purely to fuck around to. Get drunk and throwdown to this, that's pretty much why it exists.

purezephyr
October 10th 2013

Differentiating the songs is the most entertaining aspect of this record.

Also, vocals are probably some of the worst I've ever heard

KjSwantko
October 10th 2013

Literally laughed at the album cover.

Italianjesusfootball
October 11th 2013

Such a boring album.

Digging: Low Roar - 0

Dunpeal
October 20th 2013

had to check this cuz it was labeled as "trancecore" on another site

it's not terribly bad. agree w/ duck in that this is probs something i'd listen to when i just wanna veg out musically. also
agreed w/ zephyr in regards to vocals

and yeah wtf is a browning? totally set themselves up for some fecal matter references

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden