Tech N9ne
Something Else

by gordodustin USER (9 Reviews)
October 1st, 2013 | 52 replies | 3,795 views

Release Date: 07/31/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Tech is stepping up his game, while revealing multiple musical influences.

Most people don't know that Tech N9ne has been rapping for well over a decade, mostly because he spent the majority of his time in the underground scene. It's been a long journey, and after a lot of work and time, Tech N9ne is finally starting to get recognized, and it's about time. From the beginning, Tech N9ne has been a solid rapper and has consistently proved his ability with songs like Einstein, Be Warned, and the Midwest Choppers Trilogy to say the least. But after 'The Gates Mixed Plate' and 'Welcome to Strangeland', I was starting to believe that Tech was beginning to feel uninspired, as those albums were consistently full of forgettable songs. With 'Something Else', Tech taking a step back in the right direction.

Something Else is full of Variety and has a ton of guests featured on it including Mayday, Cee-Lo Green and even Serj Tankian of System of a Down. Every song is extremely distinct, and offers something unique in its own right. Starting off the album is 'Straight Out the Gate' feat. Serj Tankian and is easily one of the highlights of the album. The song addresses hypocrisy from what I can decipher and includes a nice rock addition in the 3rd verse, which adds to the dynamic of the song. 'Love 2 Dislike Me' also has a rock/metal feel to it and features Tyler Lyon of the rock band 'Evalyn Awake'. The song is extremely catchy and feels very genuine. At this point, Tech is showing his fans that he appreciates all types of music from rap to rock to metal. There are even acoustic guitars present in 'Fortune Force Field', giving the song a really relaxing vibe and a taste of something new.

Perhaps the best song on the whole album is the lead single 'So Dope (They Wanna)', mainly because of all the amazing artists who are featured in it. Tech was serious when he said he wanted this album to stand out on a whole new level, because to have Twisted Insane, Wreckonize, and Snow Tha Product in one song is to guarantee a killer track. The song is so technical that it will take multiple listens to fully digest the lyrics and to even understand them all for that matter. The album even finishes strong with the song 'Strange 2013', which features the vocals of Jim Morrison from The Doors.

After listening to 'Something Else' all the way through, I found myself wanting to start it over and hear it all again. Tech's new album takes you on a cool journey that hasn't happened since K.O.D. and there are enough interesting tracks to give the album a high replay value. Give this CD a couple full listens, and you won't be disappointed.

RECOMMENDED TRACKS: