Stray From the Path
Anonymous

good

by Matt Harrison CONTRIBUTOR (20 Reviews)
September 23rd, 2013 | 46 replies

Release Date: 09/17/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I am Jack's complete lack of contentment.

I've always kind of facetiously described Stray from the Path to people as a metalcore band who formed from the seditious ideologies of Fight Club's Tyler Durden. Whether it's the anti-materialistic preaching on Make Your Own History's "Nigeria" and Anonymous' "Black Friday," or the sociopolitical call-to-arms on just about every other song they've written, you really don't need to look far into their lyrics to find evidence of a band delivering Durden's words, only with a little more vocal aggression, and a little more chugging. Yet after two albums since MYOH, which was undoubtedly the band's highlight, the question isn't whether we should care about their message anymore -- and it's as fiery as ever -- but rather whether we should care about a band whose sound is as unchanging as their views, when they have hardly anything new to say.

Because the problem with Anonymous is not that it's the work of a talentless band -- if anything the band's sound is as refined as its ever been -- it's simply that Stray From the Path have vocalized their painfully consistent message over the course of three albums now, and their songwriting just hasn't kept up the same overall quality and ingenuity as it did back in 2009 on MYOH. The singles "False Flag" and "Badge & Bullet" are simultaneously both as generic sounding as the band has ever been, while also validating pretty much any and every Rage Against The Machine comparison you could make of Drew's vocals. Furthermore, whereas MYOH had cleverly biting lyrics such as "negative and violent, we're all so important," Anonymous leaves us with overly repetitious phrases like "pull the pin on the f***** grenade!" that are as nonsensical as they are abundant.

However, this isn't to say Anonymous doesn't have its moments of greatness here and there. Track "Scissor Hands" features Jason Butler of post-hardcore band Letlive., and his higher range weaving in between Drew York's growls and signature "blehs" add a viciously entertaining touch. Furthermore, tracks "Slice of Life" and "Radio" are relentless, with saw-blade guitar work and driving rhythms, displaying everything Stray From the Path do so well when they give themselves a little room to breathe.

But the problem is that there simply aren't enough tracks that work this way on the album, and it's unfortunate because the Brooklyn natives clearly have it in them to release another record at the very least as exciting and refreshing to the genre as MYOH was in 2009.

My Brightest Diamond None More Than YouKishi Bashi Lighght
Laurel Halo Chance of RainHe Is Legend I Am Hollywood
Noah Gundersen LedgesSon Lux Lanterns
Phil Nicosia (3)
The album was pretty good, and overall definitely worth a listen....

September 23rd 2013

I'm pretty rusty so hope you guys aren't too harsh on me. Especially since my rating is pretty controversial. I just was really disappointed with this record.

20158 Comments

haven't heard these guys but good review as always sir.

fight club used to be my favorite movie

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

September 23rd 2013

Not sure if they'd be your thing, but definitely check them out if you're feeling adventurous! haha. And yea, Fight Club rules. It's been too long since I've seen it actually. I should change that.

Owantjaaaa
September 23rd 2013

The album is catchy as fuck, but the lyrics are the worst of all SFTP albums
ONE FOR THE MONEY
TWO FOR THE MONEY
FORGET ABOUT THE THIRD WORLD, THEY AIN'T HUNGRY

Digging: Sick/Tired - Dissolution

September 23rd 2013

forgot about that one, but yea, it's pretty cringe-worthy.

Owantjaaaa
September 23rd 2013

Radio is my personal highlight. Scissor Hands would've been the best track if they didn't keep on repeating the same 5 lines for about four minutes

September 23rd 2013

yea, I thought about bringing up the lyrics of Scissor Hands, which are also pretty dumb. I think my favorite track is Slice of Life. Just overall solid track that doesn't really have anything that bothers me.

XingKing
September 23rd 2013

Surprised this has a 3.8 (3.7 now that I rated it). This album is fucking horrible

September 23rd 2013

Yea, the 4's and up are kinda ridiculous.

Calc
September 23rd 2013

really good first paragraph, really pointless last sentence.

I've only heard the this one and the last one so all the talk of repetition doesn't bother me. That and I don't pay attention to the lyrics.

Veldin

Album is atrocious.

@Calc- I'm stoned right meow and your avatar is brilliant.

September 23rd 2013

Think I should lose the last sentence then?

Calc
September 23rd 2013

the last part of it I think is just so obvious its unneeded.

XingKing
September 23rd 2013

I think you should get rid of it, yeah

Hope that works better.

pepster50
September 23rd 2013

I liked this album a lot ! Such a fun record with a shitload of catchy and head bangin riffs. Can't go wrong there. The lyrics make me laugh, I'm totally okay with them.

September 23rd 2013

If you haven't heard Make Your Own History I recommend you check it out. It's just better than this in every way.

pepster50
September 23rd 2013

I think I will, I've only listened to their previous album and this one. I like this one better as a whole, but "Death Beds" is such a good song !

JustinKing
September 24th 2013

Listened to half of this yesterday and was massively disappointed. They sound like they're trying to be Rage Against the Machine so hard, especially with the Zach de la Rocha-inspired lyrical repetition. I just expected a lot more from this, given how much I liked their previous material.

Omaha
September 24th 2013

Really good writing as always. I'd just suggest you add just a bit of meat about the album itself-- much of this is about context, which is important but not exactly the main point here.

Digging: Thou - Heathen