Direct Hit!
Brainless God

by Lee Carlson USER (26 Reviews)
September 12th, 2013 | 100 replies | 11,621 views

Release Date: 09/03/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What "David Comes to Life" wanted to be.

While Direct Hit! is known for their catchy brand of grit infused pop punk, they would probably be the last band anyone would expect to make a concept album, and the concept actually works. It seems that in 2013 more and more punk bands are pushing the envelope with their songwriting. Between Off With Their Heads’ “Home,” and Captain, We’re Sinking’s “The Future is Canceled,” it seems that these “Orgcore,” and “beard and beers” bands are breaking the mold and proving they can create albums with a sense of purpose accompanied by great songwriting. Direct Hit! may have just solidified my previous statement with their latest effort Brainless God.

Punk can be a difficult genre to tackle as far as songwriting goes. Do too much people won’t listen, keep things the same and it just blends in with the rest of the bands. With “Brainless God,” Direct Hit! takes basic punk chords and hooks but throws them in the middle of a church choir. The melody in the first track On & On sounds like it came straight from a Hymnal in church and is repeated in other tracks Heaven is a Black Hole, and A Message to the Angels Pt. II It gives the record some clarity and flow and if you put lyrical content aside, the concept is still there.

The concept behind Brainless God, is essentially about the apocalypse and the religion that is proclaiming it. Lyrically it’s very straight forward with very few instances of metaphor or symbolism; but the most important aspect is that it is still a Direct Hit! record. What that means is that this album is fun, a lot of fun. The production is much cleaner than their previous releases, but the more polished production allows the listener to fully take in the story that is being told.

Direct Hit! took a big gamble putting out a concept album in the punk community. Aside from few exceptions (ahem, The Greatest Story Ever Told) concept albums in any genre can be a tough feat to tackle. Direct Hit! have managed to put out one the best albums this year, and that’s saying a lot.

RVIVR Dirty Water EPJawbreaker Dear You
Title Fight The Last Thing You ForgetCeremony (USA-CA) Ruined
Well, Hello. Summer Sessions EPHave Heart Songs to Scream at the Sun

September 13th 2013

My AOTY so far.

NastyCrab
September 13th 2013

feet should be "feat" in the last paragraph.

September 15th 2013

Thanks for the catch. Haven't wrote a review more than a year now haha, gotta get back on this.

October 1st 2013

Great review. I just noticed that these guys are playing a 70-people-sized venue nearby for only 10 dollars, so I thought I'd check them out. Guess I'll start here!

November 9th 2013

More people should definitely listen to this. In top 5 of the year for me

December 19th 2013

Yeah man, It's topped my list, and I've only seen it on one other end of year list, which was from a artist not a review site. Definitely overlooked/underrated.

adr
December 19th 2013

this is so awesome

Digging: Sabbat - Dreamweaver

Rsetness9
January 4th 2014

Are you guys serious? This album sounds incredibly average. I mean, geez, it wouldn't take Mayans to predict the next hook in each song.

definitely gonna check

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

ConorIsNotHere
January 4th 2014

I think I might get this, I'm really digging Buried Alive & Getting What He Asked For

January 5th 2014

Yeah, both hilarious songs. But wish the production would be better. Can't wait to hear the vinyl of this (should be released this winter, I think)

HE'S GOT A CARCASS IN HIS BASEMENT,
AND IT'S HIGH-TIME HE FOUND A REPLACEMENT,
IT'LL BE JUST LIKE A FIRST DATE,
BUT BETTER!!

this is so good only on track 3 but daaaamn

ConorIsNotHere
January 5th 2014

A vinyl of this album would be perfect. Plus, this is so much fun.

Joejk3

good album

It's ranked #6 on mine

January 6th 2014

yeah, this is gonna end up being on my list

(i'm not gonna make one though but yeah it's really fucking good)

Curse.

This is pretty good yeah but it is nowhere near my top 20

January 7th 2014

yep its now my aoty yep haven't been this enamored with an album in months

Cygnatti
January 9th 2014

this is #3 of the year wow

donaldo11
January 14th 2014

Probably the best pop punk album of the last decade. I love this album, and I don't even like pop punk.

This is the album that Green Day has been trying to make for the last two decades, but failing because they suck.

This band doesn't suck.