The Red Paintings
Your Tears Are Warning Signs

by dUSK USER (19 Reviews)
March 29th, 2006 | 9 replies | 5,216 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

The Red Paintings are not a group likely to shy away from doing things a little differently. Their live shows are obvoiusly the greatest example of this, being incredibly theatrical and keeping audience interaction at levels that far surpass those of your ordinary Rock band. The Red Paintings have again gone out on a limb to try something different, this time with their 5th release, Your Tears Are Warning Signs.

The album cover proclaims "The Virgin Mary Tour Strings Album", which at first didn't really give me any idea of what to expect before my first listen. After that first listen, I was left thinking that The Red Paintings were pretty cool, but I didn't really see anything different about this album. At the time, it was the only release I'd heard from them, and as I became a bigger and bigger fan, I began to realise what an amazing piece of work Your Tears Are Warning Signs really is.

In Mid 2004, The Red Paintings were busy embarking on their "Virgin Mary" tour of Australia. The 5th "gig" of that tour happened to bring them to local Brisbane Radio station, 4ZZZ fm, on July 24th, 2003. They were they were to play a live, straight to air set, accompanied by an interview. The Red Paintings took this oppurtunity for what it was, playing with a stripped down version of the band. Ie; No Drums, no Bass, no samples, leaving only the stringed instruments and vocals. The text on the cover now makes perfectly good sense.

The record button was pressed, and the trio began, playing the 48 minute set in one, non stop, take. What hit the airwaves was brilliant. The essence of an actual Red Paintings gig had finally been caught on tape, creating one of the most intimate recordings I've heard. The album art states that "It's rough, but we're only human and humans make plenty of mistakes. This time we just forgot the eraser", but that eraser is far from being needed.

It's at this point that I'll try to stop my increasingly raging fanboyism, and start describing the the actual music. Of the 11 tracks, 6 had been released on the 2 previous EP's. From what I've heard of these prior releases, this album has captured some magic that the others hadn't. It's a great improvement, particularly with the songs that appeared on the Cinema Love EP. The new songs are amazing as well, adding to the albums feeling of sadness and desolation. Musically, everything has come together very well. Nothing sounds out of place being played on an acoustic guitar instead of an electric, and no instrument downs out another. The tone of the violin is perfect, in contrast to other recording where it can sound a little off.

Overall, Your Tears Are Warning Signs is an amazing release, which I'd recommend to any fan of TRP, Acoustic Music, the Violin or Alt Rock music in general. I've been trying to think of some reason not to give this album a 5/5, which I've never done before, but I just can't do it. There's nothing wrong with the production, no weak tracks, no flaws musically, and the song writing is amazing, so Your Tears Are Warning Signs gets my first 5/5 rating.

Vomitor Bleeding The PriestFornost Der Wind Hat Mir Ein Lied Erzählt
The Red Paintings Destroy The RobotsHilltop Hoods The Hard Road
Vintersorg Visions From The Spiral GeneratorAgalloch Of Stone, Wind And Pillor

March 29th 2006

Wow, I just read back over that review, and it is really fanboyish. Might take some editing later on, I'm not 100% happy with it.

It'll do for now though. I mostly just wanted to get something on here about that album, as it's been sitting in the back of my mind for ages.

francesfarmer

March 29th 2006

[QUOTE=francesfarmer]I'm not catching any help with what songs to look for, at all...unless of course every one of them is worth it?[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, they are all pretty much worth a listen. That's why I gave it a 5. I always try to not to rate an album that highly, but I honestly think this deserves it.

I'd suggest downloading what you can from http://www.theredpaintings.com to get a feel for how TRP sound. If you like what you hear there, I'd highly recommend picking this album up.

[QUOTE=Jom]Overall, this isn't as good as the Walls EP, but probably because that was done in the studio, whereas this was live.[/QUOTE]

That's how I used to look at it as well, but I've come to appreciate this a lot more. I think it might have something to do with actually having seen TRP live a couple of times. Their live sound just has so much more feeling, and this YTAWS conveyes it perfectly.

Volunteer
June 16th 2006

It's always cool to see a band do a live album that still sounds great. Especially when it's all done in one take. I don't care how good you are... this is HARD to do.

June 17th 2006

I actually met The Red Paintings a couple of weeks ago, and I was talking to Wayne (the Cellist) about this album. He hates it because he thinks he played so poorly. Turns out he only joined the band a week before it was recorded. Impressive.

Also, I have plans to edit this review down to a 4.5 at some point over the next few weeks, after I finish with exams.

jrowa001
February 19th 2007

i love Redneck and the rest of this album. i havent heard any of their other albums yet but i plan on getting my hands on them. good review

Hatshepsut
July 17th 2007

1997 Comments

This really is something. It's amazing and I've only brushed the surface, since I've only listened to it sparingly. I only expect it to get better.

KritikalMotion
September 22nd 2007

I've basically decided they are one of the most amazing bands ever.

There stuff is amazing.

Jerrydavidson
December 29th 2007

Does anyone know where I can find these guy's stuff? I've looked everywhere and can't find them