Nirvana
Nevermind

by DixieNormous USER (6 Reviews)
August 30th, 2013 | 74 replies | 2,842 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A groundbreaking 90's classic

The entire genre of rock throughout the 90's was based on this record with every band trying to recapture its memorable sound and market appeal. Of course "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the anthem that started the alternative revolution, but there is matched quality on nearly every song on this album.

The musicianship of the album are simplistic in nature, but very catchy and translate to the listener very easily. The arrangements are so well done that the need for anything profound and complex is immediately thrown out. Nirvana was a band who were great at what they did, needing only their honesty and emotion to get them across; not flashy 80's solos and glam attire. Kurt Cobain's guitar work was interesting, new, innovative, creative, and original as he was one of the first artists in the late 80's to begin using the rhythm guitar to lead the melody without the choppy leads of hair metal bands. His chord progressions are simple and basic for a large portion of the album, but throughout the entire recording his technique stays true to form, using original flowing riffs to carry the song when he does use his instrument as a lead. Kurt Cobain's guitar style has essentially motivated and shaped how the instrument has been used since 1991 and almost all of rock's song writing processes today. In equal impressiveness alongside his guitar skill are Cobain's lyrics and his vocal style, which always have an underwritten sense of urgency and need in them, supporting the pain heard in his voice. Although he did not possess one of the greatest voices in music, and still does not, he was gifted with a natural tone and utilized it well to compliment the instrumentation perfectly.

Chris Novoselic's bass lines are upbeat, catchy, furious, and just as sincere as Kurt's guitar playing. His instrument carrying a melody all of its own instead of just following the bass drum and staying in the background, once again breaking away from the rock and metal cliches of the previous decade. Alongside Chris was Dave Grohl who's drumming was not only extremely powerful, but solid and top notch. Nevermind featured Dave at his best on the instrument that he has always shined and thrived. Dave's and Chris' instrumentation always complimented each other and was every bit as crucial to the impact of the music as Kurt.

Standout tracks in addition to the first six (all of which were hit singles) are "On A Plain" and "Something In The Way" which is beautifully dark and acoustic brilliance. Try listening to this from a perspective when all of this was new to the scene. You will most certainly feel the truly groundbreaking effect it was meant to have. Nevermind is one of the greatest albums that came from the 90's and it undoubtedly set the tone for the entire decade.

Metallica MetallicaKorn See You on the Other Side
Thirty Seconds to Mars This Is WarLimp Bizkit Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog...
Def Leppard Hysteria

lol, not a 5.

Digging: The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Millstone

I'M SO HORNY

BUT THAT'S OKAY

MY WILL IS GOOD

August 30th 2013

Good review, unfortunately assholes like Cyngatti are going to neg it simply because they dont like your rating.

August 30th 2013

I didn't neg it, but I will now that you reminded me.

that's better.

Minus.
August 30th 2013

This review has a few flaws, but overall pretty good. I dont agree with the rating, but that's irrelevant. Have a pos.

Decayingmajesty

In utero destroys this.

August 30th 2013

I didn't neg it, but I will now that you reminded me.

says the troll that hasnt reviewed one album yet. What's the matter, you afraid to be exposed for being a poor writer?

not a troll but okay.

not a troll but okay.

So write a review then...you're acting like a big shot so you're obviously an expert writer.

Dunwich
August 30th 2013

Nowadays you're not cool if you like Nevermind. Hell, people would probably slag off In Utero too, if it wasn't for Steve Albini. Anyway, this is a power pop masterpiece. KC and the gang taking it back to the basics and making rock 'n' roll fun again while they were at it.

manosg
August 30th 2013

Even though I'm not a fan of their music, the album was huge in the 90s and a reason that this kind of music survived.

Digging: Donovan - Sunshine Superman

danielcardoso
August 30th 2013

Another Nevermind review. Yay.

Minus.
August 30th 2013

"Another Nevermind review. Yay."

When I see a review or list that doesnt interest me I simply ignore it.

Smial

in utero sux!!

henryChinaski

lol, not a 3.

Digging: How to Dress Well - What Is This Heart?

Amphoteric
August 30th 2013

I honestly think this band might be the most overrated band ever.

Digging: Deadwood - Picturing a Sense of Loss

Freddey
August 30th 2013

Eh, never been an insane grunge person. Screaming trees and soundgarden are the only grunge bands i listen to.

Millstone