Body Stuff
Body Stuff

by Karl V.H. USER (84 Reviews)
August 21st, 2013 | 14 replies | 616 views

Release Date: 07/23/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Body Stuff?

I’ve watched enough movies in my day that involved a lot of bodies being stuffed into a bag. In fact, you couldn’t stuff enough body bags full of movies I’ve watched that have involved such a dehumanizing end to life. I’m simply trying to make meaning/ humour out of the name Curran Reynolds – drummer for Today is the Day and Wetnurse - solo E.P. and I’m coming up with nothing. Maybe after recording this strangely haphazard piece of music, Reynolds decided it was too eclectic to be called anything but a bunch of awesome ideas stuffed into the human mind. No? Forget it! Let’s focus on what’s created within these six short but sweet tunes. Reynolds plays for two of metals most underrated and unique bands on the face of the earth and I don’t say that very lightly. Both bands have had their fair share of influential albums and it’s important to note how many genres both of these bands are made up of. This is all reflected unto Body Stuff while every track represents something unique to the quirks of metals past glory. Some places, it feels like Michael Gira is taking the wheel with a twist for the post-metal avant-garde; in others, Justin Broadrick’s crunchy hypnotic guitar chords ring out with a sense of atmosphere. Reynolds has even decided to bring Killing Joke’s post modern metal to the table and it works extremely well. Through the haze of influences, Reynolds locks onto an efficient use of peaks and valleys, but only for moments of time as if to tease the listener for what’s in store when he unleashes a full-length. The drawback to Body Stuff is that it’s done and over too quickly, making me click to the first track before I just put the E.P. on repeat. I damn well hope he continues on with this band if this is what’s to come on future releases.

Godflesh PureSun Worship Elder Giants
Lord Mantis Death MaskHorseback Piedmont Apocrypha
Carcass Surgical SteelShining One One One

19208 Comments

Short and sweet like the E.P. Digging this hard!

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

August 21st 2013

Good review brother, need to hear this.

Relinquished
August 21st 2013

nice find bro, great review too

you're missing a couple apostrophes here also

Have a pos.

Listened through but unfortunately didnt dig.

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

19208 Comments

Captain, it's not for everyone but thanks for taking 10 minutes of your life to try it on : ).

you're missing a couple apostrophes here also

Where about? If you're referring to Reynold(s), it's actually his name.

August 21st 2013

'Thank you boys. Review number 80 is a big surprise and will most likely get featured (hopefully).'

I'm guessin Vermis, Ulver, or new Ataraxie.

Metalstyles
August 21st 2013

I think Relinq was mainly aiming at the "metals".

I have no idea if this is my thing or not but I'm confident I can also take the 10 minutes to give this a shot.

EDIT: @Captain, I'm pretty sure you're wrong (also pretty sure I know what it's going to be)

August 21st 2013

Yeah I figured Wiz would be a little more obscure than that. Let me try another stab since its so obv now:

Vasaeleth...

August 21st 2013

Also, someone needs to call dibs on new Obliteration EP.

MO

nice wiz

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

Voivod

Good review, pos.

Interesting music, but the songs are too short temporally.

Digging: The Golden Grass - The Golden Grass

19208 Comments

I think they're just a glimpse/ experiment into what he can do.

Vasaeleth...

I will probably do that one too. The review is of something I don't think you like too much ; ).

;)

Sounds good. Regardless, even if I don't like it, I plan to support your work man. I should stop guessing though as blowing your cover wouldn't be any fun now would it.

Metalstyles
August 22nd 2013

Yes, let's keep the anticipation and tension levels high!