fun.
Some Nights

good

by teslabarrier USER (6 Reviews)
August 19th, 2013 | 24 replies

Review Summary: all alright

Without Fun, we would not know pop music as it is now. Gotye surely would not have reigned 2012, and Imagine Fagons or Mumford would never get airplay. It's because of Fun that indie music hits the top ten. Their sophomore album Some Nights was a decent one, but it looses steam toward the end.

Fun were influenced by Queen, and opener "Some Nights (Intro)" is a good example of this. Nate Ruess yells, "Oh my god!" in a Freddy Mercury influence style singing. It's short but sweet, and sounds like a Halloween song with the eerie background. Applause fades into the title track, the highlight of the album. It's pretentious, over-the-top and loud, but works. Around five minutes, it's Fun's Bohemian Rhapsody. "What do I stand for?" he cries, and his vocals are painful and believable.

Chart topper "We Are Young" is bland though, with a boring hook. Janelle Monae wastes a guest performance. "Carry On" contains cheesy lyrics and is rather vapid overall. The album falls farther as "It Gets Better" is full of too much vocoder and electro elements. By now, it seems that the album will sink.

But it rebounds. "Why am I The One" has a great vocal performance and the end where bits of the songs play is cool and innovative. "All Alone" is pretty pop-like, but the depressing lyrics make it worth the while. Another highlight is "All Alright". It's somber and depressing mood makes it one of the best songs on Some Nights.

But Fun lets us down again, as the album ends with a misfire. "One Foot" has annoying horns and synth, which makes it the worst song on the album. I skip this track all the time. "Stars" drags on for 7 minutes, and Ruess' autotuned voice really makes the song falter.

Though at the end "Out on the Town" makes up for the misfire. It's clever lyrics, and emotional vocals make it the second best song on the album. Some Nights starts out strong, gets weak in the middle, rebounds, then falters at the finish line. The bonus track doesn't count. It's a pretty decent album, lots of good tracks (plus the bonus), but the weak and bland tracks bring it down.

Anberlin VitalNine Inch Nails Hesitation Marks

Four reviews in one day

seriously stap

Tunaboy45
August 19th 2013

Another piece from the king of reviews.
A slight improvement over the previous ones. Try not to say retarded things like imagine fagons.
And four in one day is just stupid.

Digging: Cattle Decapitation - The Anthropocene Extinction

Calc

please get banned.

August 19th 2013

"and Imagine Fagons or Mumford would never get airplay"

Stop trying to make me hate Fun even more

Cygnatti

meh album.

Digging: Elysia Crampton - American Drift

sixdegrees

19098 Comments

Digging: Remove the Last.fm Beta Website Design - Remove the Last.fm Beta Website Design

August 19th 2013

lose has one o as in to lose your keys
loose with two Os is not correct here, that would be for a loose asshole or whatever

demigod!
August 19th 2013

that one song thats in all those commercials is fucking terrible

Tunaboy45
August 19th 2013

As a grammar Nazi, this review infuriates me.

Green Baron
August 19th 2013

well, at least it's better than your last three. not saying much though. won't neg or pos.

TooLateToGoBack

please stop

just stop

RHCP1999
August 19th 2013

This is definitely the best of the four reviews today, but thats like saying syphilis is the best of the STI's .....

DegausserGuernica24

please get banned. [2]

YoYoMancuso
August 19th 2013

"This is definitely the best of the four reviews today, but thats like saying syphilis is the best of the STI's"

out of all the STI's to say are the best, you chose syphilis?

larrytheslug

some nights man...

paradox1216

I'm pretty partial to HIV

19333 Comments

Fun. is actually a really awesome band that just got murdered by the radio and a media that lumps them in with terrible indie artists

Digging: FKA Twigs - M3LL155X

someguest
August 19th 2013

some nights I wake up sticking it in sowingseason's butt

Digging: Dr. Dre - Compton

ABjordanMM
August 20th 2013

Not a fan. Love their first album though.

larrytheslug
August 20th 2013

reviewer nailed which songs are total stinkers.

im too much of a sucker to not listen!!! : DDDD