Deafheaven
Sunbather

by Adam Thomas STAFF
August 14th, 2013 | 197 replies

Release Date: 06/11/2013 | Tracklist

It sounds like the wind or a wave, a lonely breath from the lips of a non-existent god, exhaled over a lost and distant land coming to crash upon a beautiful forgotten shore. It aches. It bleeds. As the time passes, the breeze turns into a fluttering whisper, gently beckoning to follow. Where? Even the wind itself is not sure the exact path that lays before it, but it knows where it wants to be. Somewhere close but impossibly far away. Awash in its own echoes, it resounds in a warming glow; an embrace that holds itself in a comfortable calm yet showing bare the indomitable fury within. This is Sunbather. This is Deafheaven. It is a perfect microcosm all of our personal experiences, elegantly pieced in a tightly wound, hour long ball of time that seems to pass effortlessly in an all too short instant. Sunbather is the despair in wanting – in needing something more. Something to complete you. To complete me. To complete us – as people, as human beings. Its dark core of nihilistic rage is masked in the haze and warmth of our own exteriors, our own masks, yearning to not only feel the sunlight on our untouched skin, but to let it sink in and warm the heart which we fear the most. It is beautiful anguish. It cascades and falls in the immediate pulse of the drum work that is always lurking, always pacing to break through the humid expanse of the constant sea of distorted guitars. Its mournful vocals the soul we all share – alive in our own personal pains – transcending and plummeting on our own accord, just wanting to be saved from ourselves. Sunbather breathes. Sunbather lives. I can feel its heart beating as the seconds pass into minutes. It resonates in time with my own. That is what truly makes it eclipse just being notes on a page or sound on a disc. Whatever the intents of its creators, Sunbather is a malleable work that takes on new meaning with each set of ears it passes through – recalling the most fragile of chords to play once again across the heartstrings -- forever becoming a piece of all of us. That is, if we let it.

YOB Clearing The Path To AscendUnited Nations The Next Four Years
Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Owls TwoTaking Back Sunday Happiness Is

2010 Demo

Roads to Judah

DegausserGuernica24
August 13th 2013

I want to dream like you.

Lucid

best album

Digging: Perfume Genius - Too Bright

oltnabrick
August 13th 2013

I want to like this as much as everyone else

Digging: Rich Gang - Rich Gang: Tha Tour Pt 1

DegausserGuernica24
August 13th 2013

Then like it as much as everyone else.

CK

Oh hey you

Digging: Death - Human

YakNips
August 13th 2013

Well that was an awesome review

Digging: Whirr - Sway

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

(slow clap)

Digging: Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds

August 13th 2013

You condensed Shadow's opening Opeth paragraph into a full fledged review. Wow! Congratulations sir, I am truly impressed. There's bold and there's bolder. This is the latter. I raise my glass to you.

Relinquished

lol

ShadowRemains

20842 Comments

stfu progmaster

ShadowRemains

20842 Comments

also sniper's soundoff for this ftw

MO
August 13th 2013

ha well this is something

August 13th 2013

Adam, you have put Shadow's capacity of human intelligence intro to bed beautifully. No sarcasm or mockery here, I'm being honest.

cvlts

tremendous

NocteDominum

Show us your 5

August 13th 2013

Hemingway himself is proud, he told me himself. It's honest and true and for that I raise my rating.