Dowsing
I Don't Even Care Anymore

by pixie Jacob esque qt USER (33 Reviews)
August 12th, 2013 | 10 replies

Release Date: 08/13/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I can’t remember the last good thing that happened to me.

Dowsing is a band that isn't too hard to enjoy. Their music is simple, accessible, and poppy. The great thing about them is, while retaining this approachability, they infuse their music with identifiable sadness and apathy, hence the album title “I Don’t Even Care Anymore.” While the music itself may sound happy, the lyrics do not match the upbeat sounds of lively drums and bright guitar chords; the lyricist finds himself in more of a spot of lethargy and disinterest, all the while the hooks the vocalist creates stay consistently catchy and infectious.

Something this album has that Dowsing’s previous works have been lacking is variety. The album starts out with a slow building piece that doesn't drag, but instead lets a gloomy guitar riff build up for about two minutes while the vocalist repeats “Will I make it through you?” After that the songs follow Dowsing’s formula for a while, before coming to a more subdued song, "Everything Works Out", and a few songs later an acoustic ballad, "Still Don't Care".

Some highlights of the album are the tracks “Get Weird” which has an extremely infectious chorus that builds up with the line “It’s get weird sometimes when I say I love you,” and the title track I Don’t Even Care Anymore, which is another track where Dowsing does what they do best in creating lethargic indie rock that gets stuck in your head. Of course, this is an emo album, so there has to be some reference to sports, so that comes in on the track “Where’re Here To Play Basketball,” which is intentionally and charmingly misspelled.

This album isn't perfect. There may be no weak songs here, but not every single song on this album is going to stay stuck in your head for the next few weeks. Dowsing's members haven’t aimed for perfection, they aimed to create an enjoyable and heartfelt album, and it just happened to be the best album of their career. I highly recommend this to any fan of emo/indie.