Whiplash
Power and Pain

by Drew Tyler USER (68 Reviews)
August 10th, 2013 | 23 replies | 975 views

Release Date: 1985 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ripped straight from the heart of the 1980's, Whiplash's debut album shows a young band practically exploding with energy and rage.

After the explosion of thrash metal in the early 1980's, bands were seemingly popping up out of nowhere. The west coast was seen as the birthplace and capital of the movement due to the formation of early bands such as Metallica, Slayer and Exodus in and around California. Shortly after the underground success of Kill 'Em All and Show No Mercy, it seemed as if the genre was drowning in an endless sea of thrash acts. The East coast was no exception. Led by fledgling metal act Anthrax, bands such as Overkill, Nuclear Assault, and Whiplash entered the fray.

Formed in New Jersey in 1984, Whiplash were never 'by any means' a successful act. The band's most popular album was their very first record, and they remained an underground act for their entire career. The band's debut effort entitled “Power and Pain” was released in the fall of 1985. The album itself showed a young but impressively talented band that had a knack for thrashing hard, and doing it with a take no prisoners attitude. The album is a ferocious combination of heavy, thunderous and fast material that never falls below a mid to high tempo. There is literally no break here, no moment to catch your breath, once this album starts thrashing, it doesn't stop until the end of the closing track.

Power and Pain boasts some really killer riffs that hold your attention without overuse, and the album has plenty of hectic sounding solos spread throughout. The drum work is also top notch and relatively creative, with several tracks sporting some inventive fills and patterns. However, not all is well here. At times the album can sound jumbled together, as if lacking any distinct direction. Some riffs, albeit good riffs, run together in rather awkward ways. The production is also somewhat shoddy, (as with many thrash albums of this time) and this poor production can soften the albums blow. If you're like me though, this old production gives the album a dirty and raw feel that only adds to the heaviness. The vocals compliment the band's heavy style, as they sound pretty guttural and pissed off. The only problem to be found with the vocals would be the distinct lack of variation and tone. In other words, the vocalist sounds the same throughout the entirety of the album, only utilizing brutal screams and shouts.

By the end of the record, I got the impression that this album was far too short. It clocks in at a mere 34 minutes, and leaves you wanting more. For this reason, the album has a relatively high replay value. This is an album that is not for the faint of heart. Power and Pain never relents, and never stops thrashing. Progressive snobs beware: this is thrash in its most primal and brutal form. Check this out if you like your metal fast and aggressive.

Savatage Fight for the RockWitherscape The Inheritance
Blindead AbsenceArtillery Legions
Overkill I Hear BlackOrphaned Land All Is One
hammerheadftw (4.5)

August 10th 2013

Here's a link to the full album via Youtube:

TrueBlood
August 10th 2013

nice review and good points, Pos'd.

Didn't know u changed ur name. I obvs get the coroner but what is blind for?

Mister Twister
August 10th 2013

this album was far to short

too*

But auto-pos because THIS ALBUM FUCKING RULES HARD HARD HARD

August 10th 2013

gj bro this makes up for your infernal overkill review ;)

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

Shuyin
August 10th 2013

looks pretty sick, gonna check

TrueBlood, great avi, love that guy

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

August 10th 2013

props for reviewing whiplash dude, but let me ask you something how did you change your name?

Digging: Lords Of The Crimson Alliance - Lords Of The Crimson Alliance

August 10th 2013

nice review by the way have a pos

the solo of Power Thrashing Death is insane man m/

thrashtilldiltch666

August 10th 2013

haha it was ThrashTillDeath94. I had it changed by asking the mods in the help forums. Two of my favorite bands are Blind Guardian and Coroner. I just combined the two.

I'm glad you approve KILL.

evilford

Pos'd

Yeah I remember that Infernal Overkill review lol

Digging: Demilich - 20th Adversary of Emptiness

Mister Twister
August 10th 2013

I didn't even know you could change your name in that thread. Might go ahead and do that, I came up with this one is like 3 seconds and hate it.

tempest--
August 10th 2013

"And shortly after the underground success..."

Don't start sentences with 'and'.

"Whiplash were never by any means a successful act."

Separate 'by any means' with commas.

"The band's most popular album was their very first record, [...]. The band's first record..."

Fix the repetition.

"The album is a ferocious combination of heavy, thunderous and fast materiel"

Material.

"no moment to catch your breathe"

Breath.

"and the albums has plenty of hectic sounding solos"

Album.

"The production is also somewhat shoddy, [...] and this shoddy production can soften the albums blow."

More repetition and album's.

"If your like me though"

You're.

"this is thrash in it's most primal and brutal form."

Its.

Pretty good review, gives off a relaxed, informal feel that is utilised well.
Could do with some improvement, but worthy of a pos.
Abum thrashes hard.

August 10th 2013

Wow thanks for taking the time to help with some of this. These are bad tendencies I never realized I was falling into. I'll get to work on these right away.

I thought I was thorough, but DAMN.

Permabanned

fuck yeah awesome album

tempest--
August 10th 2013

It's alright bro, they're mostly just simple mistakes that anyone would make, and not many will pick up. The formatting makes it looks longer than it actually is.

August 10th 2013

Still I give you props for being one of the few here who give constructive criticism and aren't a
dick while doing it.

Love the album art

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

August 11th 2013

"Progressive snobs beware: this is thrash in its most primal and brutal form"
Hahaha nice one dude!